Moose down!

Sonny

Moose down!

Post by Sonny »

Junior was drawn for a cow moose tag late season (Nov.) and this morning at the crack of dawn he filled it. :thumbsup:

The first two days he hunted he seen four bulls but he had to pass on them. Then this morning at first light he seen this cow. The range finder said it was 187 yards out. He shot once and the cow stumbled forward and went down. She was still trying to lift her head when he walked up to her but one shot behind the ear took care of that.

Rifled used was a Browning A-bolt in .30-06 which I bought for his 12th birthday 31 years ago. Over the years he put a lot of meat on the table with this gun including moose, elk, whitetail and mule deer. :wink:
The shot was broadside just behind the front leg. Ammo was 180gr Winchester ballistic silvertip. Area was about one hour northwest of Calgary which is still about six hours south of me.
Here's a few cellphone pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Re: Moose down!

Post by steelbuttplate »

Thats a lot of meat and hide to deal with. Whats your favorite Moose dish ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Makes a father proud.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool, mooseburgers? :Drool1:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:10 pm Thats a lot of meat and hide to deal with. Whats your favorite Moose dish ?
Oh I don't think I have a favourite I like em' all. Most people might say a nice sirloin steak but a nice roast with gravy is good too. :thumbsup:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

How much meat are you going to get out of that moose? I would think quite a bit.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Ironnewt wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:00 pm How much meat are you going to get out of that moose? I would think quite a bit.
This cow was a wee bit on the small side so I would say about 350lbs cut and wrapped and not live weight. Average for cows would be 400-450lbs and for bulls you could add 200lbs cut and wrapped. :thumbsup:

Of course if you head up to the Yukon/Alaska then you are talking much bigger moose and I couldn't even begin to guess how much they would dress out in pounds. :?
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I'm used to shooting white tails and they dress out at a whole lot less. I hope you and your son had a good time. It sure looks like you did.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Ironnewt wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 pm I'm used to shooting white tails and they dress out at a whole lot less. I hope you and your son had a good time. It sure looks like you did.
I was laid up with bronchitis for awhile and didn't hunt with my son. He tagged and bagged this cow all by himself. From the shot to the gutting to the loading in his truck to the hanging in his garage. (winches help) lol

This is his kill all the way but I will help to eat some of this moose. lol :D