Finally got my flea market Factory 26 SKS to the range.

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
walnut red

Finally got my flea market Factory 26 SKS to the range.

Post by walnut red »

Went through one box of Wolf ammo just to get the feel for the rifle and to check function. After that at 100 yds I could consistently keep my shots in a 6" paper plate with the forend resting on my shooting bag. Windage was good but I had to put one plate on top of the other and use the bottom one for an aiming point. For me the rifle shoots about 8" high at 100 yds which might be correct if it is supposed to have a 300 meter zero. 6" is not anything to brag about but I'm satisfied.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finally got my flea market Factory 26 SKS to the range.

Post by millman »

My Russian shoots dead on at 100. You might try adjusting the front sight up a bit if you don't like it shooting high.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I'm going to wait on adjusting the sights until I find what ammo this rifle likes best. The sportsmans club I normally shoot at has ranges going out to 400 yds and I'm looking forward to trying the rifle out at 200. 400 would be very optimistic but I'm sure I'll at least try the 16" gongs at that range.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Someplace I have the Tapco tool for adjusting the front sight. It looks like a key, but I may be remembering something else, it was 30 years ago and I have no idea were I stashed the tool. Point is if I had one then others are out there, or likely still in production, easy fix for the point of aim problem. That is if you intend to keep shooting at closer ranges like 100 yards, many people, once youth is over, can't see past 100 yards very well with iron sights. 8" is a big drop for 200 yards ( I don't think in terms of that commie meters shit) maybe not so much for 300 with 7,62x39. Test it and see, it's been many years since I shot these, back then there was commie surplus, and some commie new made sporting ammo, it was adequate, but not award winning. What I do remember was that the SKS was not what I would call a precision instrument for close accuracy in drilling holes at longer ranges . better than the AK, not as good as the Finn variations of the Mosin, or most of the Soviet ones for that matter.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If you want to hit dead on at 200 your 100 yd should be about 2" high. At*8 " high you have a pretty good arc going, probably will hit 2 ft. high at 200.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Thanks, I have one of the front sight tools that was in a box of stuff, I almost said junk, I bought at a flea market awhile back. I'm looking forward to playing with this rifle some more.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

walnut red wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:28 pm Thanks, I have one of the front sight tools that was in a box of stuff, I almost said junk, I bought at a flea market awhile back. I'm looking forward to playing with this rifle some more.
Is your back sight locked on 100 ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

This is a .308 chart, but it gives a good idea about trajectory, what to expect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Second trip to the range this week. Cleaned some crusty grease from under the rear sight leaf and cleaned and lubricated the trigger assembly. Now I'm down to being consistently 5" high at 100 yds. Couple more trips and I'll be ready to adjust the sights. Hate to admit how many times in my misspent youth I blamed the sight adjustment on things that were operator error. Now sight adjustment is about the last step I try.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

walnut red wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 am Second trip to the range this week. Cleaned some crusty grease from under the rear sight leaf and cleaned and lubricated the trigger assembly. Now I'm down to being consistently 5" high at 100 yds. Couple more trips and I'll be ready to adjust the sights. Hate to admit how many times in my misspent youth I blamed the sight adjustment on things that were operator error. Now sight adjustment is about the last step I try.
The way I read the adjustments on SKS, if you zero at 100 then the yardage adjustments should work out to 300-400, I don't know never shot one over 110 yd at a target. I'dm interested what your results are and pissed I don't have a range like yours. :wink:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

walnut red wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 am Second trip to the range this week. Cleaned some crusty grease from under the rear sight leaf and cleaned and lubricated the trigger assembly. Now I'm down to being consistently 5" high at 100 yds. Couple more trips and I'll be ready to adjust the sights. Hate to admit how many times in my misspent youth I blamed the sight adjustment on things that were operator error. Now sight adjustment is about the last step I try.
I've fine tuned probably 10 of these on target. I've just had one commercial Norinco that I sold 30 yrs. ago. The milsurps will shoot 3-4 inch groups @ 100, some tighter, comparable to my M1 Garand. I like the colored fiber optic front post for these old eyes.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Google "AK adjustment target". It helps in the early adjustments.
We have met the enemy and he is us.