My First Finn M39!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Need More Mausers

My First Finn M39!

Post by Need More Mausers »

Hey folks!

Been a little while! However I'm back with exciting news!

Got a call from the LGS I used to work at, turns out an m39 came in. Decided I'd run down just to look at it (havnt handled one in person yet). Had the girlfriend along for errands....well, one thing lead to another and she decided she would get me an early Christmas/Birthday gift.

It's a 1942 B (D) Barrel, hex receiver, and what I've been told is an Austrian capture receiver as well. Not pictured (apologies) the bolt is Finn matched. However the floorplate does not, not sure if this is normal? Also, has a pretty bright bore, with some frosting.

Would love to share, and of course hear from the experienced folks here.

Tell me what you think! Also, snagged it for 3.5 ducks :D

Selling guns is what I do, shooting guns is what I like, but collecting guns is what I love!
Freefall91

Re: My First Finn M39!

Post by Freefall91 »

I'd say you did pretty well! Love that plum barrel!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

Need More Mausers wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 am It's a 1942 B (D) Barrel, hex receiver, and what I've been told is an Austrian capture receiver as well. Not pictured (apologies) the bolt is Finn matched. However the floorplate does not, not sure if this is normal? Also, has a pretty bright bore, with some frosting.
Both the bolt and floorplate were originally matched to the barrel. It is worth noticing the Belgium (B) barrels were not originally high pressure tested and have different quality control problems not associated to most Finnish m/39 barrels.
Need More Mausers

Mangrove wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 am
Need More Mausers wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 am It's a 1942 B (D) Barrel, hex receiver, and what I've been told is an Austrian capture receiver as well. Not pictured (apologies) the bolt is Finn matched. However the floorplate does not, not sure if this is normal? Also, has a pretty bright bore, with some frosting.
Both the bolt and floorplate were originally matched to the barrel. It is worth noticing the Belgium (B) barrels were not originally high pressure tested and have different quality control problems not associated to most Finnish m/39 barrels.

Anything in particular to look out for? Picked up some S&B 180gr to go with it.

Have some older Interarms 54r as well.
Selling guns is what I do, shooting guns is what I like, but collecting guns is what I love!
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

Need More Mausers wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am Anything in particular to look out for? Picked up some S&B 180gr to go with it.
Does the rifle has 36VKT00 pressure proof marking? In that case, you should be able to use regular ammunition. However, do not use +P ammunition.
Need More Mausers

Mangrove wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 am
Need More Mausers wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am Anything in particular to look out for? Picked up some S&B 180gr to go with it.
Does the rifle has 36VKT00 pressure proof marking? In that case, you should be able to use regular ammunition. However, do not use +P ammunition.

I'm not sure (not that experienced with them). The only marking I've read up on was the D, to indicate it can take Soviet ammo I believe.

Anything else/place to look for?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Look above the woodline for a 3600.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Need More Mausers

millman wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:19 pm Look above the woodline for a 3600.
Oh! In that case, yes. Its printed on the left side of the barrel I believe.

Was wondering what that was!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Congratulations! :thumbsup:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Were the B barrels on these assembled post war ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Need More Mausers

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm
That's what I've read thus far. Made in Belgium, then assembled in Finland.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Need More Mausers wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm
From barrels originally intended for M91 rifles, I have two and two, Two M39 B's and two M91 B's, all excellent shooters. Nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

Need More Mausers wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm Were the B barrels on these assembled post war ?
VKT (Valtion Kivääritehdas) received some thousands of m/91 rifle barrels and blanks from Belgium in "different stages of production" in 1942. VKT then started to machine rifling to the Belgian blanks in mid 1942. The m/39 "B" barrels must have been made after the Continuation War as there are no records of them in the VKT monthly reports.
Need More Mausers

Great tidbit, Mangrove! Thanks for the info!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

You got a good one!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice catch.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!