Please post a video for me

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
dropkick66

Please post a video for me

Post by dropkick66 »

I looked on you tube but I can't seem to see what I'm looking for. I would like to see a video on how to use a headspace gauge. And show the diff kinds like "go" and no go. If possible. Thanks
****1926 Tula 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****M59/66A1 SkS
****1929 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****1954 type 53
****1931 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon. ****1955 type 53
****1938 Izhevsk 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1939 Tula 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1940 Izhevsk 91/30 round. *****1945 Izhevsk M44
****1943 Tula 91/30 Ex-Sniper
dropkick66

Re: Please post a video for me

Post by dropkick66 »

Ok I found a video finely, but would like to know and see how to adjust headspace
****1926 Tula 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****M59/66A1 SkS
****1929 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****1954 type 53
****1931 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon. ****1955 type 53
****1938 Izhevsk 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1939 Tula 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1940 Izhevsk 91/30 round. *****1945 Izhevsk M44
****1943 Tula 91/30 Ex-Sniper
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

Unless you are a qualified gunsmith, I would not suggest attempting to adjust head space.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Adjusting headspace is done by swapping out bolt heads. You can get them off of Ebay usually fairly cheap, or Liberty Tree Collectors has them.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

You might want to take a look at this link. I have not done this procedure. I don't feel qualified to adjust headspace; I think it is better left to someone who is trained/qualified. Do what you think is best for your guns.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/headspace.htm
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hi dropkick, I know that when we talk about headspace, we have many opinions here. I didn't realize it until I posted the headspace posting the other day, and I learned a lot. I don't have the specs for the proper headspace for the 7.62x54r, but the first thing you have to realize is that the headspace specs are not a matter of anyone's opinion. When a gun manufacturer designs a firearm, they know from research and developement what the safe pressure limits are inside a chamber and barrel. They know that a cartridge has to be fitted properly in the chamber, and then it has to stay put once the bolt is closed. If the cartridge is loose fitting in the chamber(excess headspace) a lot can happen when the trigger is pulled. With pressures in the range of tens of thousands of pounds per square inch happening in a fraction of a second there needs to be a safety standard in place. Sometimes the biggest effect of excess headspace is on the brass case itself. If a person reloads, then the case life can be cut short. That can affect cost and accuracy. I could go on further, but the best illustration I have ever seen was posted on the parallaxcuriosandrelicfirearmsforums by member parashooter. Study this illustration enough and it will make the most sense of this whole issue. watch the primer immediately upon ignition. watch it move ahead of the stretch of the case. The case stretches because it flows in the direction allowed by excess space. It stretches because the sides of the case have already expanded and adhered to the chamber. Also think about why a cartridge that is only neck resized can improve accuracy when the "fireformed" case is handloaded for the same gun it was originally fired in. This is a .303 British but headspaces the same as a Mosin rimmed cartridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Where did you get that image? That is nice.

If anyone knows or wants to do a headspace video (and it is done well), I'd love to include it in the new WIKI we are doing under headspacing.

That would be fun.

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Parashooter on the parallax bills forum had it posted in ther Lee Enfield section. Actually the whole posting is excellent and helped me really understand fire formed cases. http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... topic/3361
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I don't have a video that shows how to check the Mosin Nagant for headspace or fix the problem, but this video demonstrates the effects of excessive headspace. I personally think these guys were idiots to do this kind of test, even if they are allegedly qualified gunsmits. DON'T TRY ANYTHING LIKE THIS! By the way, these guys seem to suggest that the Mauser is a strong enough action that it will not explode, even with excessive headspace. I would remind you that the Mosin Nagant is not the same action. The problem, as I see it with excessive headspace in a Mosin Nagant is that there is no place for escaping gas and/or seperated cartridge case to go but rearward.

http://www.americangunsmith.com/vidlesson/?id=37d
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

a very interesting video by some experienced gunsmiths. I think they knew the results prior to video or they too would have strapped the gun to a tire. Is this why Milsurp exploding bolts are not in the headlines every day? I can see it now. a new video titled "AGI gunsmith killed when he tries to debunk the myth of firing a shotgun with a mud packed bore". :no:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

bunkysdad wrote:a very interesting video by some experienced gunsmiths. I think they knew the results prior to video or they too would have strapped the gun to a tire. Is this why Milsurp exploding bolts are not in the headlines every day? I can see it now. a new video titled "AGI gunsmith killed when he tries to debunk the myth of firing a shotgun with a mud packed bore". :no:
I take it you didn't care for the video. Nevertheless, I learned a lot about excessive headspace and the dangers it could present. The Mosin Nagant is not the same action as the Mauser; that's probably why they didn't use that action as an example. When they put the headspace so far out of whack towards the end, I doubt they would have had any way to light the Mosin Nagant off, unless they adjusted the firing pin protrusion so far forward as to make it look really unreasonable.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh no I gave the wrong impression I think. I did like the video and watched all 25 minutes of it. I just hope that anyone watching it realized like you and I, that these guys were gunsmiths with years of experience. Someone without that realization may think that it's unneeded to properly maintain a firearm, and one thing that wasn't discussed was any adverse reactions that repeatedly operating a firearm in poor condition could lead to unseen problems developing. Yes they discussed the stress that was placed on the case, or lack of, but what about things that really cause guns to come apart, like metal fatigue and stress cracks. Stuff that is hard to see. I sure admit I am relieved to see that the Mauser can handle excess headspace because even a worn rifle would likely never end up in the condition that they created on the test bench. I liken it again to a car, because that is what I understand without too much effort. Lets say your brakes are metal to metal and your front rotors are scored to minimum thickness. The minimum machining thickness or "discard" thickness is .965" and you are told that the shop must replace your front brake rotors because they will be thinner than that if they are machined. Are they trying to rip you off? They are bound by a professional code of ethics to put your brake system back into safe operating condtion, or they could be liable if the brakes failed. Would machining the rotors below specs to say .890" be unsafe. Not likely, but all someone would have to do is say they could not stop because the brakes you just fixed faded and that is why they ran into a car that was cruising through an intersection. It had better not be found in that instance that you machined the rotors below specs, because there is no such thing as a waiver that a customer could sign that would hold up in any court. Professionals are held to a certain standard and in this litigious world we live in nowdays I am not going to be the one to tell somone don't worry about excess headspace. someone else can have that opinion. As professionals I am surprised that they put their opinion into such a detailed video for the whole world to see.