Stevens Model 940A .410

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Stevens Model 940A .410

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Another of the guns I am cleaning up and soon will be selling for a customer of mine. As a boy he used this simple shotgun for taking small game. Savage Arms Stevens Model 940A top break single shot with side lever release. He remembers getting it sometime in the late 50's or early 60's, no serial number so definite before '68. Weird hammer on this one, I am used to the solid snap down of a shotgun hammer on my Winchester, this one gives a little bounce back . At first I thought it was something worn or broken, but it looks to have been designed that way. I have a lot of Stevens double and break open guns, even pumps, but they are all 12 gauge, interesting to see one with a slim barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Re: Stevens Model 940A .410

Post by Sonny »

Nice :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Considering a kid owned it and hunted with it for a decade then his father did little more than wipe it down with oil every five or six years it's in amazing condition. At first glance I thought 1980's H&R ( New England Firearms) then took a closer look and saw Savage Arms. Not many of these around in .410 compared to 12 and 16, or even 20.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That's a sharp little .410!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's all a little time capsule, the old guy put away his guns into the safe around 1972-73 and there they sat until they were handed off to me. I found lots of dust, some minor rust, lubricants that turned to glue, but no sign of use in the bores. They had all been cleaned prior to storage. The Enfield was kind of a surprise, his son wasn't sure how his father ended up with it as other than his issue 1911 he had no interest in milsurps. Everything else fits with what I would expect from a sporting firearms accumulation from the 1950's and 60's
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That .22 and this was a great pair for a young man to hunt with.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Longcolt44 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:31 pm That .22 and this was a great pair for a young man to hunt with.
According to the one time young man he did hunt with them, and often. He still hunts and kept dad's Winchester model 97 12 gauge, and model 94 .32-20. You may rest assured I tried for both of them.
Theodore Roosevelt