Nuclear Flash Blindness Goggles

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
ffuries

Nuclear Flash Blindness Goggles

Post by ffuries »

As we clean out closets, boxes, and the attic for the repairs you find stuff you haven't seen in forever. This is a USAF Aircrew issued Nuclear Flash Blindness Goggle kit, which is a modified dust goggle with a gold plated lens. The kit is complete, and has the goggles, eye patch and spare goggle lens.

The MIL-G-635 flash blindness goggle kit:

An alternative to the gold-plated visor was developed in the form of a gold-plated lens for the well-known B-8 or M-1944 goggles. These could be worn when needed and otherwise tucked away in their protective box. The flash blindness goggle kit (MIL-G-635) consists of one container, one complete pair of goggles, one KMU-219/P modification kit (a rubber strap), and one monocular eye shield. According to regulations MIL-G-635 goggle kits are used in multiplace aircraft where they are stored on board and distributed as required, or they are used in fighter aircraft where the PLZT goggles are too large and cumbersome.

It should be noted that the military specification is titled "MIL-G-635 Goggles, Sun, Wind And Dust". It does not say anything about the gold-plated visor lens. The MIL-G-635 is therefore only an identification of the frame used in the goggle kit, not a designation of the kit itself. Federal Stock Number of the goggles is 8475-00-133-3740, and the eye shield is FSN 8475-00-175-5323.

Don't have a clue as to value, but once the repairs are done and the garage gets converted to the new office/gun room/militaria room they'll be displayed. I remember having to inspect these things, and if we determined the lens was unserviceable we would have to turn the lens into supply. Uncle Sam would collect the bad lenses to reclaim the gold.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Nuclear Flash Blindness Goggles

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Commercial airline pilot I knew years ago said they had an eye patch. This way after the flash of the nuclear weapon going off they would still have vision in one eye. They would at the time be federalized and flying US troops over to Europe to prepositioned weapons and gear waiting for them . Once they started flying out of US bases, or into European ones they would put on the eyepatch. Apparently the entire US commercial airline fleet works for Uncle in times of national emergency. National emergency of course means imminent Global Thermonuclear War, the Cold War era was so much fun, but today scares me a fuck of a lot more.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:58 pm Commercial airline pilot I knew years ago said they had an eye patch. This way after the flash of the nuclear weapon going off they would still have vision in one eye. They would at the time be federalized and flying US troops over to Europe to prepositioned weapons and gear waiting for them . Once they started flying out of US bases, or into European ones they would put on the eyepatch. Apparently the entire US commercial airline fleet works for Uncle in times of national emergency. National emergency of course means imminent Global Thermonuclear War, the Cold War era was so much fun, but today scares me a fuck of a lot more.
CRAF or Civil Reserve Air Fleet, the concept was started during the Eisenhower administration. It's used to get as many troops and/or equipment from the US to wherever they are needed globally as fast as possible. Operation Desert Shield (The build up leading up to Desert Storm), used this concept to get as much as possible, as fast as possible to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

I've forgotten all about the Civil Fleet, thanks for reminding me.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

During the Cold War we had CONALRAD to warn us of incoming bombers, now a guy with a truckload of cow shit and a barrel of kerosene parked outside a rapper concert can kill thousands.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!