Goex ffg

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Sonny

Goex ffg

Post by Sonny »

Well up until today the only powder I shot was the Jim Shockey's Yukon Gold stuff since that was the only powder available here in town.

Today I tried some Goex ffg that I bought on my last trip to the city.Well holy crap that stuff is dirty and stinky too. :o

I think it might burn better and maybe packs a better punch but after 4 or 5 shots I had to scrub the bore as it was getting hard to ram the ball down. A couple of patches sprayed down with G96 seemed to help.

I'm shooting a Safari arms traditional rifle in .54cal and I'm getting 2.5 inch groups at 50 yards using a round ball with 60 grs of Goex ffg.

Shouldn't I be doing better?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Goex ffg

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Practice more. Been shooting GOEX for 40 years, never noticed a dirt problem past the usual black powder fouling, but then it's black powder, fouling is expected. Most of my stuff is big bore, takes awhile for fouling to become a problem in a .75 bore.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've used Pyrodex since it came out. After three shots I have to run an oily patch thru or it gets so tight you have to drive the bullet down the bore. Goex is cleaner ? JYD been shooting cannon balls . :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I shoot R.E.A.L. bullets, no problem with fouling at all.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

mogunner wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:22 pm I shoot R.E.A.L. bullets, no problem with fouling at all.
I'd never heard of those, I just read about them. I'm sure gonna get some. Are they as accurate as other Maxi balls?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

mogunner wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:22 pm I shoot R.E.A.L. bullets, no problem with fouling at all.
My balls are real. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 pm I've used Pyrodex since it came out. After three shots I have to run an oily patch thru or it gets so tight you have to drive the bullet down the bore. Goex is cleaner ? JYD been shooting cannon balls . :vcool:
Most of my BP front stuffer shooting is with the 1863 Springfield, Brown Bess, or the 1816 Harpers Ferry, .58, .75, and .69 . The BP cartridge rifles are big bore also, I don't do much of any small bore BP shooting except the pistols.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 pm
I'd never heard of those, I just read about them. I'm sure gonna get some. Are they as accurate as other Maxi balls?
I shoot them in a modern Traditions Canyon (Buckstalker) and they are more accurate than any of the different rounds I tried that used sabots, and I got fouling terribly with the sabot rounds, probably more from the powder than the plastic sabots. I bought 500 325gr REAL bullets from a local guy and that'll be enough for me for the rest of my life probably, since I never seem to even see a deer during alternative method season here, so only shoot about 6 bullets a year, lol...5 to check my scope setting before the season, then the one that I load up just in case I do see a deer! You can actually feel the bullet scraping the crap off the rifling as you ram it down. I've ran 20 rounds or more at one sitting and never had to clean. I use Pyrodex R BP substitute.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

mogunner wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 pm
I shoot them in a modern Traditions Canyon (Buckstalker) and they are more accurate than any of the different rounds I tried that used sabots, and I got fouling terribly with the sabot rounds, probably more from the powder than the plastic sabots. I bought 500 325gr REAL bullets from a local guy and that'll be enough for me for the rest of my life probably, since I never seem to even see a deer during alternative method season here, so only shoot about 6 bullets a year, lol...5 to check my scope setting before the season, then the one that I load up just in case I do see a deer! You can actually feel the bullet scraping the crap off the rifling as you ram it down. I've ran 20 rounds or more at one sitting and never had to clean. I use Pyrodex R BP substitute.
Sold. I'll order some. That's aggravation at camp to have to clean. I've shot 4 rounds (scuds) at deer that were 150 yds in one morning before. The rule was, if you see some hair put some lead in the air. Them was the Goode ol' days.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I get under 2" groups at 50 yards easy with them and load 80grs of Pyrodex R, I've gone up to 100 grains but only effect I've seen was on my shoulder. I mean, when it shoots a 4" chunk out of the pine tree with the lesser load, that was good enough for me. One of these days I may get bored enough to actually chrono a few loads just for the heck of it. If this purchase of ours on the new place ever goes through, there's a conservation area up not too far from there that is limited to muzzleloaders only for deer season due to it not being a very large area, I may have to frequent it.