Range Day

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Shawnc

Range Day

Post by Shawnc »

Took all the old girls to the range today. It was 1 part off road adventure and 10 parts Bang Bang. I went alone and mostly just got a sense of how each one fired. I counted off 50 paces, so the fifty yards written on the targets are a best guess. Could be more or less. Forgot my range finder at home.
Now for the proof.

From top to bottom:M1 Garand 7.62, 25 Tula, 43 Izhevsk, K31.
That little table used to come standard with the Honda CRV. I guess not enough people used it so they got rid of it. Makes a handy range table and I'll miss it when I eventually sell that car.
Me with the K31. All the pics of me with the guns are the same pose, so this is all you get of my picture. The first 15 rounds were with 174 Grain Prvi Partizan.
Results. What you can't see is a flyer lower right, I bumped the trigger during a shoulder adjustment. Next up 43 Izhevsk.
By far the worst of the day. The first 5 are all on the right. I adjusted the sight a little and it got a little better. Got it to minute of bambi at that 50 yards, but I need to work on that one a little. Next up 25 Tula.
Much better. For those worried about a counterbored gun, this one performed pretty good for an 87 year old rifle. Very happy with it. M1 Garand next.
Three cheers for a classic American rifle! Super happy. Adjusted for 100 yds, so a little high at 50 is about right. I had some GP11 I wanted to try, so back to the K31.
I cannot express how impressed I am with this rifle.
All shots were off the bag, just to see how the guns shoot. Better than me for sure. I got some decent video, and want to put it together, but My camera makes a CED file, and I need an AVI or .mov. Any IT types here know how to convert those files I'm all ears.
Last edited by Shawnc on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
desdem12

Re: Range Day

Post by desdem12 »

Great range report and it looks like total fun too. The garand cleaned up on the rest of those others but the K31 looks like it did good too. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Nice Garand grouping, mine groups about like the '25 counterbored Tula. :lol: I sure wish a company would make ammo as good as the GP 11.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Great pics!
(and just one more reason you should get the K-31, Des :bwink: )
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nicely done Shawn! It was really interesting seeing the different groups for each rifle. You're shooting really well too.

You've put together a really nice collection too! Each piece is a really nice example of its particular make/model :)

To top it all off, it looks like you had fun! :toast:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good shooting :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

MN Fan wrote:Nicely done Shawn! It was really interesting seeing the different groups for each rifle. You're shooting really well too.

You've put together a really nice collection too! Each piece is a really nice example of its particular make/model :)

To top it all off, it looks like you had fun! :toast:
Thanks MN. I try to be picky, unless a good deal comes along, which pretty much has added up to luck so far. :biggrin:

One more shot for that day.
You might make out a tree leaning to the right just above and to the left of the rear sight. That's where my target was.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great shooting!

Those K31's are capable of some stellar accuracy. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

That last photo has me wanting to weld my cheek and pull the trigger :)

Nicely done!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

What a GREAT range report!!! 8-) I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon! That's a great looking K31 by the way.
Simo

Post by Simo »

MN Fan wrote:That last photo has me wanting to weld my cheek and pull the trigger :)

Nicely done!
Ha! I also wanted to shoulder it but then realized it was a picture.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

Ban-One wrote:What a GREAT range report!!! 8-) I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon! That's a great looking K31 by the way.
Thanks, Ban. The K31 was my "destiny" rifle. I had just become interested in the Swiss rifles when I saw this one for sale. My Garand and Izhevsk were both 1943, and when I looked up the serial number on the K31 it was also 1943. Is that destiny or what? I couldn't NOT buy it. :biggrin: