Damn Fox

steelbuttplate

Damn Fox

Post by steelbuttplate »

This murderous son of a bitch has got 3 of my chickens over the last month. :furious: The conibear 330 finally took care of him last night, and a bullet from a Romanian 69 trainer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Ironnewt

Re: Damn Fox

Post by Ironnewt »

He ain’t gonna get no more chickens
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

He should have gone to Zaxby's.

How do you like that Romanian trainer?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

steelbuttplate wrote:This murderous son of a bitch has got 3 of my chickens over the last month. :furious: The conibear 330 finally took care of him last night, and a bullet from a Romanian 69 trainer.
Love it. I've had well over a hundred chickens and guineas killed over the years by these assholes. I've chased them across the field into the woods and taken some back from them, some still alive. My main flock of large hens is on lock down right now because I got tired of finding piles of feathers around the place. I even got a shot or two off on them using my Romanian M69 trainer over the years. That used to be my go to varmint rifle but I was given an old beat up savage model 62 semi that I rehabbed that I use mostly now. The trainer is an excellent varmint gun, extremely accurate but I'm mostly going after running climbing animals like coons and possums at night and the bolt action was slowing me down.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

WeldonHunter wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:This murderous son of a bitch has got 3 of my chickens over the last month. :furious: The conibear 330 finally took care of him last night, and a bullet from a Romanian 69 trainer.
Love it. I've had well over a hundred chickens and guineas killed over the years by these assholes. I've chased them across the field into the woods and taken some back from them, some still alive. My main flock of large hens is on lock down right now because I got tired of finding piles of feathers around the place. I even got a shot or two off on them using my Romanian M69 trainer over the years. That used to be my go to varmint rifle but I was given an old beat up savage model 62 semi that I rehabbed that I use mostly now. The trainer is an excellent varmint gun, extremely accurate but I'm mostly going after running climbing animals like coons and possums at night and the bolt action was slowing me down.
I used to keep enough chickens to keep me and family in eggs. Coyotes put me out of the hen business. They kept coming while I was sleeping, when I wasn't sleeping, they wasn't coming..... I got disheartened when they nailed Rufus the rooster That bird was the meanest Rhode Island Red that ever walked the face of the earth, he thought he was ten feet tall and I would have thought he could handle a whole pack of coyotes. Not. Those red feathers were strung out for 100 yards..

I have one of the Romanians that I haven't shot in years, I have gotten where a Chinese JW-15 has become my goto varmint gun.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

SA1911a1 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:
I used to keep enough chickens to keep me and family in eggs. Coyotes put me out of the hen business. They kept coming while I was sleeping, when I wasn't sleeping, they wasn't coming..... I got disheartened when they nailed Rufus the rooster That bird was the meanest Rhode Island Red that ever walked the face of the earth, he thought he was ten feet tall and I would have thought he could handle a whole pack of coyotes. Not.

I have one of the Romanians that I haven't shot in years, I have gotten where a Chinese JW-15 has become my goto varmint gun.
I used to have a Rat Terrier that was my neighbor's squirrel hunting dog that was an outside dog by choice but she decided she liked it over here better so she adopted me but would go back over for visits. She kept things somewhat safe but she couldn't be everywhere, foxes are slick little buggers and sneaky as hell. That dog would chase them when she saw them or sniffed them out but this is a huge place. She was also a fearless guardian for her size and would fight coons, possums, skunks and fox if she caught them. I watch two grey fox try to tag team her one night. She eventually ran them off. My hens used to go out every day. They live in a varmint proof pen and will put themselves away every night so I don't really have to worry about night time especially since I addressed some weak spots in the pen. All I have to do is lock the door in the evening. I had a coon in the pen the other night (before I fixed the weak spot) and dispatched it but the other one got away. It came back a few nights later and found the pen was impenetrable. I'm a night owl so I'm up most of the night so patrolling the place is part of the night time routine. That said the fox does come through at night but the birds are locked up so they can't get them. It's when I let them out to graze is when they get them. My mother has two huge dogs but is still losing chickens because she doesn't lock her's down for periods of time to break the cycle of the foxes coming around. Once they lock on to your place as a food source unless you kill them they'll be back as long as they can get a free meal. We hatch our own so we've been able to keep up a bit but it's a PIA.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote:He should have gone to Zaxby's.

How do you like that Romanian trainer?
I really like them, got two. They are very similar to a Walther I used to competition shoot 40 yrs. ago.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Only good fox is a dead fox. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have one of them running around outside, see it now and then. Never been a problem, but then I have no chickens.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:14 pm I have one of them running around outside, see it now and then. Never been a problem, but then I have no chickens.
No more Damn Fox problem. Unless they have an Airborne unit. After 5 weeks partime blood sweat and chewing tobacco, I present
:: :USA Flag: Fort Clucks, N.C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You know they are diggers right?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:04 pm You know they are diggers right?
So are coons. I caught one a few nights ago trying to dig under the run fencing. I buried it a foot or so when I built it and have rocks and bricks in spots where it' eroded some and that little bugger was moving the rocks and bricks to try to get under the fence so I shot him.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

WeldonHunter wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:09 pm
So are coons. I caught one a few nights ago trying to dig under the run fencing. I buried it a foot or so when I built it and have rocks and bricks in spots where it' eroded some and that little bugger was moving the rocks and bricks to try to get under the fence so I shot him.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: now he's a good racoon.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

There is a 1 ft. wide strip of chicken wire laying under the chain link, and the back where the ladder is laying has buried wire around the bottom of it. Nothing has tried it so far.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't think that cover will withstand a determined air assault.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:21 pm I don't think that cover will withstand a determined air assault.
I wasn't sure what you meant by the cover then I looked at the pictures again and I see what you mean. Yeah a coon or possum will climb right up the side and slip under that. I hadn't even noticed that. I have foxes here, a lot of them, and my main night time predators are coons and possums. My run off the side of the coup is completely enclosed now, sides and top but until this year there was one section up by the roof where I'd run out of cicken wire and used some variable sized section fencing but it had 5" squares at one end. I'd wired some electric fence wire between the wider sections to close them off but the coons and possums, especially the younger smaller ones squeezed through anyway. None of the little ones ever killed chickens but they went after them. One day I went out and all the chickens we in the run so I opened the door to let them out to graze the yard and they would not come through the house. I coaxed them out eventually and that night they would not go in the house. I had to herd them in. It was a small possum that got in and chased them around. I got him a few days later on the roof of the coup. Then I covered that section with chicken wire. No problems since besides the coon I got the other night trying to dig under the fence.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a possum that comes out to eat with the cats in front of the shop, so far it's been on it's best behavior and I haven't seen any half eaten kittens. The coons on the other hand can be naughty, some of them have met with unfortunate accidents over the years. Coons are problem solvers and they have fingers, they keep working a problem until they figure it out, or something happens to them.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:33 am I have a possum that comes out to eat with the cats in front of the shop, so far it's been on it's best behavior and I haven't seen any half eaten kittens. The coons on the other hand can be naughty, some of them have met with unfortunate accidents over the years. Coons are problem solvers and they have fingers, they keep working a problem until they figure it out, or something happens to them.
Yeah possums are opportunists and will go after any type of food even fruit growing in a tree. Especially figs. But they're also go after older hens that tend to sleep on the hay instead of roosting and will kill the occasion chicken. Some are nastier than others. Coons on the other hand are just like you say plus they'll kill chickens. if they can get hold of them. This reminds me a problem my cousin was dealing recently in Maryland. She had a feral cat, a coon and a fox all coming up the eat the cats food. The last straw for her was she had over 100 peaches growing in a tree and while she was on vacation the tree was cleaned. She had some netting around the tree to keep birds away but something got all the peaches. The cat and coon were eating the cats food but didn't put nothing like the fox. She said the fox would empty the bowl and then she has it on video fighting with the cat. I think the cat got tired of the fox cleaning the bowl out and went after the fox and the fox tried to catch the cat. I think her husband disappeared the fox and she bought a live trap to catch the coon and cat. The cat was to go to the shelter and the coon was supposed to be relocated to the park. I told her it'll last for a while but there's plenty more coons and foxes.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There is a fox family here on the property, saw one of the babies playing on the side of road the other day, and one of the adults tried to commit suicide in front of my car last weekend. I was driving the '68 Buick, and I haven't gotten around to changing out the suspect front wheel cylinder so I wasn't going to slam on the brakes. It made it, just. They haven't been bothering the cats that I know of, there is food left in the bowl come morning, up at the shop I do have a problem with little birds eating the cats dry food. They swoop in and grab a kibble bit with me standing three feet away.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:33 am I have a possum that comes out to eat with the cats in front of the shop, so far it's been on it's best behavior and I haven't seen any half eaten kittens. The coons on the other hand can be naughty, some of them have met with unfortunate accidents over the years. Coons are problem solvers and they have fingers, they keep working a problem until they figure it out, or something happens to them.
The "coon cat" ? He done met an accidental untimely demise ?