1918 sestroryetsk information?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jrivet

1918 sestroryetsk information?

Post by Jrivet »

Just purchased a 1918 mosin to find it produced by sestroryetsk and to learn it may be rare. I’d like to know what makes them rare or special and a value for this rifle. Seems to be in good condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Judi and her Mosins

Re: 1918 sestroryetsk information?

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

That looks like a very nice find, can you please post more pictures. Looks as a Finn by the hangers.
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Jrivet

Post by Jrivet »

Sure there’s a few more.is it possible that I have a 1918 sestroryetsk that ended up being a Finnish capture aswell?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

That's only the third '18 Sestroryetsk I've ever seen. I don't know what the price point would be but it's definitely a rare bird.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Judi and her Mosins wrote:That looks like a very nice find, can you please post more pictures. Looks as a Finn by the hangers.
The bolts looking Finn stamped I'm thinking so.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Note the missing stock disc. 1918 is a rare date for Sestroryetsk M91's as the revolution interfered with production before the year was done, and even while production was underway there were troubles between the different political factions on the shop floors. Sestroryetsk didn't close or vanish after the revolution, they turned to making different things such as machine tools.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Very rare and very nice. I think it is the coolest arsenal mark and have ended up with a few Sestroryetsks but no 1918s. Unlike Tula and Izhevsks, as the Boss alluded above, production stopped in 1918 while Mosins continued to be made in large quantities until 1948. I don't even remember seeing any others from 1918 so it was likely a very low production.

I often see Sestroryetsks go for higher prices than the same year and condition Tula and Izhevsk arsenals.

The only Arsenal less common is Chatallerault, which ended production in 1895.

I'm glad you posted this one.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote:
Judi and her Mosins wrote:That looks like a very nice find, can you please post more pictures. Looks as a Finn by the hangers.
The bolts looking Finn stamped I'm thinking so.
And a stock splice. No D stamp or SA pretty uncommon for a Finn isn't it ? That one's not even on the Finn M-91 rarity list. I guess it rates an "11"
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
entropy

Post by entropy »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Very impressive!
Jrivet

Post by Jrivet »

It has finally been shipped to me and arrived. Here are some more pics. Seems to be in better shape than the pictures look like from who I bought from. looking at it in person here and going through it.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Outstanding, a great addition to any collection.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

What, maybe $400.00?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Low production year + Finn captured , $500 or more at auction. Now if it was "buy it now" for $425, nobody would bid. But start the bid at $1 and it will get 32 bids and sell for $525 +. I've watched this over and over.
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sat May 04, 2019 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

As rare as it is, I think it would go for much more at auction. If I was still accumulating, I would certainly bid more than $525 for a 1918 Sestroryetsk, especially one with such clean markings. But I'm quite partial to Sestroryetsks.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

That is a rare rifle. Only Mosin nuts would know this though. Any 1918 dated Mosin produced in Russia is rare due to the revolution and civil war--U.S. manufactured (M91's) aren't as rare, at least from what I've seen. 1919 through the early 1920s are pretty scarce as well.
Mosin Fanboy
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

'regular'sestroyetsks have been going for $500 regularly. That date is one most will never see let alone own. I could see it hitting $700 at auction and could go higher easily.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
27tula

Post by 27tula »

Nice find!
I have a ‘97 Sestroryetsk Finn capture (SA) that I found in a small town pawn shop. The shop owner was asking $100! Sold!