$100 Winchester Model 68

Rim Fire Firearms
Crazysarge16

$100 Winchester Model 68

Post by Crazysarge16 »

Have been looking for a good older 22 rifle to teach new shooters with, especially for my son when he comes to age. I have several older 22s but alot of them are family heirlooms, and I enjoy buying older 22s just because of their quality.

Had posted on armslist looking for some, and happened upon an ad for a local gun shop selling a Remington Target Master, but when I called it had just sold. They told me they had several older 22s in stock, ranging from Sears & Roebuck to Winchester. Inquired about the Winchester Model 68, since they also had it listed on armslist. Price was quoted as $120. Decided I'd take a chance and make the 30 minute drive on my day off, so asked them to put it aside for me.

Got up there and they had several 22s, mainly Marlin 60s and Ruger 10/22s. When I inquired about the older ones, advised they had all been sold. They brought the Winchester Model 68 out for me to look at, which had been drilled and tapped for a scope and was wearing an aftermarket stock. Bore looked good, and I asked about if they could negotiate on price. They had it on consignment, so they called the owner and asked him what's lowest he'd go so we settled on $100.

The scope is one I've never seen or had experience before, but honestly doubt I'll use it. The rifle maintains it's original peep sight which is amazing. Though I would like to get a scope for it eventually as I believe this will be a tack driver.

So far, all I'll have to do is clean a little surface rust off the barrel and oil it. The barrel looks like it was cleaned before being taken to consignment, but I'll still go through the whole rifle.

Got some 22 shorts that im dying to shoot with it. Dug through my parts bin and found an old leather Safariland holster that's been waiting for a forever home.
"Stay classy gentleman, and remember no one touch my snickers" -Cpt Barry Ammons, 2-23 IN 4/2 SBCT
Crazysarge16

Re: $100 Winchester Model 68

Post by Crazysarge16 »

Pictures for those who care

IMG_20190122_153419.jpg
IMG_20190122_153419.jpg
IMG_20190122_153314.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Stay classy gentleman, and remember no one touch my snickers" -Cpt Barry Ammons, 2-23 IN 4/2 SBCT
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You stole that for $100. I searched that scope and I think it is a Wollensak Ranger. I saw one that they wanted $60 for.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice deal!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

This thread has some Ranger scope info. https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marl ... scope.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a good deal! I had no idea Wollensak made scopes. I have some of their WWII binoculars, and they are good glass.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great deal! I would try the scope first before you go pulling it off.

Excellent find!!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Pure classic outfit. If possible, leave it alone. It will be a real head turner at shooting contests.
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Unless that scope is broken or the glass is bad there is no way I'd remove it. Classic looking glass on a classic rifle. That's classic. 120 bucks with a scope for a old Winchester- can you negotiate on the price? Good Lord man. :chuckles: