Saturday Outing...

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
awalker1829

Saturday Outing...

Post by awalker1829 »

Another nice day in Tucson, Arizona. Standing at the train station watching folks going about their business, watching trains pass, listening to shouts and SMGs gunshots coming from the parking lot of the Hotel Congress...Screams and gunshots coming from the parking lot of the Hotel Congress??! Well, that could only mean one thing...it’s Dillinger Days.

Yes, indeed. Bring the family on down, see vintage cars on display, take a guided walking tour and don’t miss one of the three performances of a shootout that thankfully never happened. We (Arizona) can’t be bothered to recognize Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s birthday (we call it Civil Rights Day), but we remember gangsters and murderers.

I was at the depot all day with our 1960 GM bus. Our museum staff arranged for display space and we brought it up for the day. On the other side of the building are the statues of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. They were installed some years ago to commemorate the murder of Frank Stillwell by Wyatt and Doc at the old train station in the late 1880s. They shot him dead on the railroad tracks not fifty yards from where the statues stand.

The bus generated interest from a number of visitors, which is the purpose of taking our buses to community events. That permits us to take the museum to where the people are, rather than depending on them to come to us.
capt14k

Re: Saturday Outing...

Post by capt14k »

Sounds like a good time. I also have to say I agree with Arizona. While King did many great things he was a flawed individual that shouldn't be elevated to God status. He is the only individual to have his own federal holiday. Neither Teddy Roosevelt or Ronald Reagan have a holiday. While Reagan destroyed communism, King was a Communist. Also his extra curricular activities leave a lot to be desired.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

capt14k wrote:Sounds like a good time. I also have to say I agree with Arizona. While King did many great things he was a flawed individual that shouldn't be elevated to God status. He is the only individual to have his own federal holiday. Neither Teddy Roosevelt or Ronald Reagan have a holiday. While Reagan destroyed communism, King was a Communist. Also his extra curricular activities leave a lot to be desired.

I agree with you 100%.......But depending where you live President's Day is still referred to as Washington's Birthday.......Then there is Columbus Day.

So there are 3 Federal Holidays named after individuals.....Washington and Kings birthday and Columbus, the finding of America (Yes, I know he didn't find it first).
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Regarding Washington, he would also have objected to President's Day and the use of his image on money. It is no coincidence that until the introduction of the Lincoln Penny, no image of any individual American appeared on printed currency or coinage.

Washington objected to the usage of his image for any public purpose. The reason was that it was common for the image of the monarch to be reproduced for public purposes and for the image of the monarch to appear on coinage. Washington intended that the new country should not emulate vestiges of the monarchy that it had just liberated itself from.

Washington specifically refused consent for his image to be used on the new nation's coinage. If he were to see how the nation is today, he would be very unhappy about his name being applied to the State of Washington and his image appearing on the dollar bill and quarter.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am sure there are a great many things about the country today that Washington wouldn't be happy about were he to be resurrected today. Eventually after uttering a stream of very un presidential, father of his country, sort of language at all the other things he saw he would turn his attention to what is on the dollar bill and the quarter dollar coin.

Hey George, welcome back, how's it hangin'? This is our current foreign policy, this is our current tax policy, this is the current size of the Federal government and all it's many departments, this is what the political party's have become, and these are the sort of people who run them, this is what's been done, and continues to be done to our constitutional rights..... I bet your just fuckin' thrilled aren't you George?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

ffuries wrote:
capt14k wrote:Sounds like a good time. I also have to say I agree with Arizona. While King did many great things he was a flawed individual that shouldn't be elevated to God status. He is the only individual to have his own federal holiday. Neither Teddy Roosevelt or Ronald Reagan have a holiday. While Reagan destroyed communism, King was a Communist. Also his extra curricular activities leave a lot to be desired.

I agree with you 100%.......But depending where you live President's Day is still referred to as Washington's Birthday.......Then there is Columbus Day.

So there are 3 Federal Holidays named after individuals.....Washington and Kings birthday and Columbus, the finding of America (Yes, I know he didn't find it first).
I forgot about Columbus Day. It is a federal holiday, but only a State Holiday in half of the states. Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's Birthday I remember being 2 separate holidays when I was younger but for years there has only been Presidents Day.

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Here in my county, the county government swapped Columbus Day for the day after Thanksgiving.

US used to have four holidays named for individuals:

Washington’s Birthday
Lincoln’s Birthday
MLK’s Birthday
Columbus Day

Since Washington and Lincoln were both born in February, it was decided to have one holiday to commemorate both Presidents.