New markings found

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fmarshall04

New markings found

Post by Fmarshall04 »

So I finally got the latest Mosin Nagant book. I've started just taking this girl apart to clean and found these symbols once removed from the stock. It does have to SA stamp on it, so it appears captured. Do any of these relate to it capture? Thanks in advance!!! Man I love this gun, and this forum..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New markings found

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not necessarily captured, being an 1899 it could have been in the government arsenals on Finnish territory when they declared independence from Russia. It could be one of the rifles simply bought on the international arms market between the wars. It's unlikely to have been captured during the Winter War, or the Continuation war, the Red's would have long removed the Czarist markings by then, or sent the rifle to Spain as aid to the Spanish communists resisting Franko.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

What new book are you referring to? Is it an updated Lapin book?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

New markings ? I hope not, that be Bubba. Those markings are old :oji:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

The re-numbering of the rear sight base is new to me. I don't recall seeing one like that before.
Mosin Fanboy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

willyj73 wrote:The re-numbering of the rear sight base is new to me. I don't recall seeing one like that before.
Common on Finn M91's, the Finn's didn't use Arshins.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fmarshall04

Post by Fmarshall04 »

By new markings I meant the ones under the receiver. I should have clarified that sorry. By new book I m referring to the yellow one, sorry I don't have it in front of me it's at work of course.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Nice that it's a matching receiver. Very cool.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

As has already been stated by JYD that piece was probably not captured but it is Finn used. The remarking of the sights is common with Finn rifles. Nice looking Sest you have there. Mine is an Finnish used 1898.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

Beautiful Czarist marks, great that they survived
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fmarshall04 wrote:By new markings I meant the ones under the receiver. I should have clarified that sorry. By new book I m referring to the yellow one, sorry I don't have it in front of me it's at work of course.
What new markings under the receiver? If you mean under the rear tang that is the Sestroryetsk arrow stamp with the last three digits of the date, in this case 894-1894. They were put there at the Russian arsenal when the rifle was built, the others are inspection stamps.
Theodore Roosevelt
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:If you mean under the rear tang that is the Sestroryetsk arrow stamp with the last three digits of the date, in this case 894-1894.
Sure looks like 9^9 ? to me... can't tell on that last digit, if it's a 4 or not. I was all excited for him that it may be original receiver on that barrel. On Sestys isn't the date 2 digits? One on each side of arrow in most cases on the tang? Picture is fairly clear I just can't tell on that last digit/mark from angle. Either way it's pretty awesome having both same arsenal.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Looks like 99 to me with a triangle added separately .
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

CavemanSteve wrote:Looks like 99 to me with a triangle added separately .
I agree. It is an 1899. The triangle to the right is not part of the date.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Stock appears to be original Configuration #8. I'm not seeing any signs of Arsenal refurbishment on the stock. It has the [SA] mark but I am not seeing the "D" mark.(experts)? I'm curious if this is an original stock for this rifle.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
willyj73 wrote:The re-numbering of the rear sight base is new to me. I don't recall seeing one like that before.
Common on Finn M91's, the Finn's didn't use Arshins.
I know the Finns lined out the Arshins and re-numbered the graduations on the left of the base. I've seen some with two zero's over the Arshin rather than a line. But, I haven't seen one with the line, zero, and re-numbering on the left side before. Usually, something like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin Fanboy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Generations of Finn gunsmiths reworked these rifles, they were in service for a long time, and were being acquired in batches over a period of decades, there will be variations with this sort of thing.
Theodore Roosevelt
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Almost_Samurai wrote:Stock appears to be original Configuration #8. I'm not seeing any signs of Arsenal refurbishment on the stock. It has the [SA] mark but I am not seeing the "D" mark.(experts)? I'm curious if this is an original stock for this rifle.
It's hard to tell if the stock is original (if there is even a way to tell). Not all rifles were marked with a "D". Bolt is not original and is from the late 1930's.
Mosin Fanboy