"Balkan" 1919 Izhevsk Dragoon showcase submission

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

"Balkan" 1919 Izhevsk Dragoon showcase submission

Post by racerguy00 »

I was able to pick up this uncommon M91 dragoon with the help of forum member Zeebill, thanks Bill! 1919 Izhevsk mosins are a lot less common than those from Tula, and even the Tula ones are scarce.

1919 was during the thick of the Russian Civil War, and the entire country was in turmoil. Izhevsk was suffering from a manpower shortage, and many if not most Izhevsks from that period often used recycled older receivers as that was the most difficult part to manufacture. Not many rifles from that period survive, and many that do show markings indicating a hardness check of the barrel and receiver. It has been speculated that due to poor quality control many were later withdrawn from service as well as lost through combat attrition etc.

This particular example appears to be what's commonly called a "balkan" import even though it is very likely it was imported through Romania. It features a beech type 2 dragoon handguard that appears to be a newly made arsenal replacement. It retains the solid dragoon barrel bands but sits in a late/post war style stock with force matched buttplate. A 1913 Izhevsk receiver was used to build it, and the bore is decent with no counter bore. There is a peened wedge behind the rear sight spring. There is also a "gearwheel" or sunburst stamp on the stock that is usually attributed to Romania.

When 1919 Izhevsks do turn up, they tend to be refurbed and converted to 91/30 specs by updating the sights. Finding one still in dragoon configuration is a big bonus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Almost_Samurai

Re: "Balkan" 1919 Izhevsk Dragoon showcase submission

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Very cool!
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Looks like a great example for the showcase to me.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Has my vote.... :thumbsup: To the showcase ! ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

Very nice !
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Not one you see everyday. that's for sure. Go to the Showcase to see it there. 8-)

1919 Izhevsk Dragoon
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Interesting. I usually steer clear of Dragoons in post-war stocks, but as with some Romanian re-stocking, I can see how this happened. A very nice find. :thumbsup:
GT_80

Post by GT_80 »

Very nice!! That thing is in great shape!
1935r Izhevsk hex receiver 91/30, serial number 407, laminated stock
1942r Izhevsk round receiver 91/30 re-arsenal "parts built" gun
1944r Izhevsk round receiver M44 very smooth action
Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

Any ideas on the gearwheel circular stamp on the stock? I have a 1916 Remington Instructie with the same mark. Any other reference to it being Romanian? I have a couple of other m91 Balkan types that have the so called pinecone stock markings but not this round stamp. It seems to be one or the other but not both. All mine have the peened sight wedge also as well as Aluminum handguard rivets.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Thagomizer wrote:Any ideas on the gearwheel circular stamp on the stock? I have a 1916 Remington Instructie with the same mark. Any other reference to it being Romanian? I have a couple of other m91 Balkan types that have the so called pinecone stock markings but not this round stamp. It seems to be one or the other but not both. All mine have the peened sight wedge also as well as Aluminum handguard rivets.
I'm hoping to complete a survey of about 100 "Balkan" m91s that I have access to. A small sample but I want to compare and document the different stamps etc to try to nail down a pattern or best case a confirmed source of them. This is the first post-war pattern 91/30 type stock I've.seen with the gearwheel stamp. All others I've seen have been m91s.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Thagomizer

Post by Thagomizer »

Interesting. I'm glad that someone is taking the time to sort all this out. There seems to be just enough info out there to be tantalizing but not conclusive. And perhaps we will never know. I find these Romanian rifles fascinating.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Beautiful rifle. Just something about the rifles coming out of Romania (Balkans) that is so appealing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:pointup:
Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
Has my vote.... :thumbsup: To the showcase ! ;mywink;
:pointup: Shoot fire Yeah :hunter: get 'er done.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

racerguy00 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:57 am
Thagomizer wrote:Any ideas on the gearwheel circular stamp on the stock? I have a 1916 Remington Instructie with the same mark. Any other reference to it being Romanian? I have a couple of other m91 Balkan types that have the so called pinecone stock markings but not this round stamp. It seems to be one or the other but not both. All mine have the peened sight wedge also as well as Aluminum handguard rivets.
I'm hoping to complete a survey of about 100 "Balkan" m91s that I have access to. A small sample but I want to compare and document the different stamps etc to try to nail down a pattern or best case a confirmed source of them. This is the first post-war pattern 91/30 type stock I've.seen with the gearwheel stamp. All others I've seen have been m91s.
On another forum I've asked about what makes a M91 a Romanian M91. Did you complete your survey? I have a M91 with the round gear stamp, the wedge, no cleaning rod as it appears Romanians didn't carry one on their rifles, and a few other things that may be Romanian.
Thanks
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »