Spam Can preservation for storage after opening

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
GT_80

Spam Can preservation for storage after opening

Post by GT_80 »

I just picked up a spam can of ammo from a local gun shop for $219. Maybe thats expensive, but in my area, the only "cheap" 7.62x54R ammo I can get is Tulammo in a 20rd box for $11.99 at walmart. The shop I got this from was selling individual 20rd mil-surp packs for like $14.99 and Tulammo for 13.99... Rediculous... so at those prices (60 cents a round, 70 cents a round, and 75 cents a round) the 49 cents a round in a spam can, with the can and the opener was very appealing... He had 3 single spam cans, and I think 2 unopened cases - i wanted a crate but he wouldn't let me have one unless i bought two spam cans :/

Markings on can are : 307-75-6 and BT-79/75 C

I know it is silver tip made in 1975

My question is more around the can... I want to get the ammo out but not ruin the can. I would like to add hinges to the can, either on the lid, or one of the vertical sides so I can use it for storage after I get the ammo out. anyone ever done this? pictures if you have would be greatly appreciated.
how bad would it be to use a dremel to cut a side partially open to get the ammo out and preserve the can?
1935r Izhevsk hex receiver 91/30, serial number 407, laminated stock
1942r Izhevsk round receiver 91/30 re-arsenal "parts built" gun
1944r Izhevsk round receiver M44 very smooth action
InOmaha

Re: Spam Can preservation for storage after opening

Post by InOmaha »

I just recieved a mailer from coleman's military surplus. I bought something from them last year. They have russian surplus ammo boxes for $20. I don't know how much shipping would cost. Item number 4591.
GT_80

Post by GT_80 »

InOmaha wrote:I just recieved a mailer from coleman's military surplus. I bought something from them last year. They have russian surplus ammo boxes for $20. I don't know how much shipping would cost. Item number 4591.
Thats cool that they sell the crates- I really want to make something cool for storage with my spam can though...
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I don't think since we opened this forum has anyone asked about the preservation of a spam can. Different ways to open one but to preserve one, no. I have 4 or 5 with the tops cut off for storage bins. Grind it along the seam edges to separate the lid from the bottom then do what you will. We have no rules about can preservation.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
GT_80

Post by GT_80 »

Maybe it’s more of a hobby useage- I don’t want to damage the lid... to be honest I don’t even really want to open it. I may just hang onto it for a while, but I have a lot of non corrosive ammo that I think would be better to keep in this, and shoot up the mil surp. Maybe I’m just weird lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

GT_80 wrote:Maybe it’s more of a hobby useage- I don’t want to damage the lid... to be honest I don’t even really want to open it. I may just hang onto it for a while, but I have a lot of non corrosive ammo that I think would be better to keep in this, and shoot up the mil surp. Maybe I’m just weird lol

While I can appreciate the want to preserve the tin once you open it the ammo should all be transferred to a sealed USGI military ammo can or something like it that has a rubber seal on the lid. The whole point of the spam cans is they're sealed from the environment, specifically moisture and O2, which is the biggest enemy of ammo preservation. Once it's been opened the ammo is now subject to humidity but if you put it in a sealed ammo can you limit it's exposure. Like Chuck said you can use a grinder to separate the lid at the seam from the can. It will look at lot better than opening it with the spam can opener. The surplus stuff is becoming more and more scarce but there might be some cheaper options here for future purchases. You can sign up to be notified if any new stuff is added. These charts are also in the Ammo section of this forum so you can look there from time to time to see if anything really decent has shown up. Just yesterday TargetSportsUSA had a deal for some Wolf LCB White Box listed at $149.75/500rds delivered. That's $0.30 a round delivered.

http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R

GT_80

Post by GT_80 »

WeldonHunter wrote:
GT_80 wrote:Maybe it’s more of a hobby useage- I don’t want to damage the lid... to be honest I don’t even really want to open it. I may just hang onto it for a while, but I have a lot of non corrosive ammo that I think would be better to keep in this, and shoot up the mil surp. Maybe I’m just weird lol

While I can appreciate the want to preserve the tin once you open it the ammo should all be transferred to a sealed USGI military ammo can or something like it that has a rubber seal on the lid. The whole point of the spam cans is they're sealed from the environment, specifically moisture and O2, which is the biggest enemy of ammo preservation. Once it's been opened the ammo is now subject to humidity but if you put it in a sealed ammo can you limit it's exposure. Like Chuck said you can use a grinder to separate the lid at the seam from the can. It will look at lot better than opening it with the spam can opener. The surplus stuff is becoming more and more scarce but there might be some cheaper options here for future purchases. You can sign up to be notified if any new stuff is added. These charts are also in the Ammo section of this forum so you can look there from time to time to see if anything really decent has shown up. Just yesterday TargetSportsUSA had a deal for some Wolf LCB White Box listed at $149.75/500rds delivered. That's $0.30 a round delivered.

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn’t really hoping it would airtight after opening it, just like the look of the cans for storage and want to keep it to store stuff in. Keeping ammo in it probably won’t be the neat idea, but maybe cleaning supplies or patches, or maybe even make it into a pistol safe.

The ammo prices are much better elsewhere, however being in Massachusetts not a lot of places ship here. It’s not illegal, but a lot of companies don’t ship to Mass.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have them all over the place full of tools, or hardware. I was using a case a week at one point in the early 2000's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

GT_80 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn’t really hoping it would airtight after opening it, just like the look of the cans for storage and want to keep it to store stuff in. Keeping ammo in it probably won’t be the neat idea, but maybe cleaning supplies or patches, or maybe even make it into a pistol safe.

The ammo prices are much better elsewhere, however being in Massachusetts not a lot of places ship here. It’s not illegal, but a lot of companies don’t ship to Mass.

Ah that makes sense then. We have an Admin. that lives there and he has a hard time ordering ammo too. I'm pretty sure Selway Armory will ship there and maybe TargetSportsUSA.
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Don't quote me on this but I think SGAmmo will ship there also. Sam's policy being he'll ship anywhere it's not illegal. But don't quote me on that haha. In any even feel free to email them their a great company. Ordered a case of 7.5x55 from him Sunday and it got here Thursday. As for preserving the can you'd probably have to grind the seems like everyone else has said you could try opening it from the side as shown in this video. Two minutes and twenty seconds starts the decorative way. But it's gonna be a huge pain in the ass fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3cKaMCNq4&t
GT_80

Post by GT_80 »

Lavitias wrote:Don't quote me on this but I think SGAmmo will ship there also. Sam's policy being he'll ship anywhere it's not illegal. But don't quote me on that haha. In any even feel free to email them their a great company. Ordered a case of 7.5x55 from him Sunday and it got here Thursday. As for preserving the can you'd probably have to grind the seems like everyone else has said you could try opening it from the side as shown in this video. Two minutes and twenty seconds starts the decorative way. But it's gonna be a huge pain in the ass fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3cKaMCNq4&t
LOL I had already watched that video before. I like Russian Hacker. If for nothing else, to see him eat all those cold war MRE's lol.

I got a second spam can, a beat up one, and opened it under the lid with the can opener, and preserved the top of that one, but I really want to try maybe with a dremel cause it won't make much in the way of sparks, to open this can. I want to make one of the small ends of the can a door, and use a small hinge and latch mechanism so I can use the can for storing stuff. I just think it would be cool.