New to P38 Collecting

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Kzman

New to P38 Collecting

Post by Kzman »

Hello everybody, I have opportunity to buy a P38 AC43 D block. Very nice bluing (maybe 95%+) with brown Bakelite grips and all matching except the mag, but mag is arsenal stamped. No holster. Small import mark under the beaver tail "NHM CO SACCA". Nice clean eagle stamping throughout. The owner is a small town dealer and says it has been in his personal collection for over 30 years. I know him personally and has agreed to a private sale, so no sales tax. He wants $1050. Of course it's not a steal but just wondering if it's in the ballpark. I have been collecting MN's and Mauser's for 20 years but don't have any buying experience with surplus pistols. Thanks.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to P38 Collecting

Post by Longcolt44 »

It's at the high end of $$$ but it sounds nice enough to warrant it. Take in $900.00 in $100 dollar bills and see if he jumps on it. If not leave but come back the next day and ask if he is sure he won't go for the 9. Then if not pay him his price . You have to do the dance.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Kzman

Post by Kzman »

Thanks, sounds like good advice. I figure I'm already ahead a little bit with no tax, shipping or dealer xfer.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

IMHO that kind of money will get you a nice matching P38 that is not import marked. I'd be more in the neighborhood of 6 to 700 bucks myself. I have 700 in my p block all matching non import Spreewerk P-38. I ended up picking up a proper magazine, and late war holster that set me back another 250. I realize that CYQ doesn't bring the money that AC and BYF does, but I can't see paying non import marked money for an import marked P-38.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Kzman wrote:Hello everybody, I have opportunity to buy a P38 AC43 D block. Very nice bluing (maybe 95%+) with brown Bakelite grips and all matching except the mag, but mag is arsenal stamped. No holster. Small import mark under the beaver tail "NHM CO SACCA". Nice clean eagle stamping throughout. The owner is a small town dealer and says it has been in his personal collection for over 30 years. I know him personally and has agreed to a private sale, so no sales tax. He wants $1050. Of course it's not a steal but just wondering if it's in the ballpark. I have been collecting MN's and Mauser's for 20 years but don't have any buying experience with surplus pistols. Thanks.
A little late replying, wanted to mention, P38 mags are not numbered to the guns. Is there a big X stamped on this one, it sounds like a Russian capture? Make an offer or just pass, that is on the real high side for a import gun.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Big Coulee

Post by Big Coulee »

The P.38 you are asking about and have quoted a price the current owner is asking seem about $150 to $200 high. Especially since there is an import mark on the piece. But if you really want the piece (and I know how that feels) go ahead and bite the bullet so to speak and take it home. Can't tell by this time next year the P.38 could go for $1500 if politics continue as it looks today.