I think I broke my pistol.

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Sonny

I think I broke my pistol.

Post by Sonny »

Yes JYD told me to shoot lighter loads but did I listen?

Noooooooo I didn't.. :vsad:

My Pietta 1851 Colt Army won't cock unless I either point it straight down to the ground or if I take my left thumb and push on the back of the trigger forward while pulling hammer back with my right thumb.

Has about 350-400 rounds fired using 30gr of fffg.

I did try a few rounds using 20gr but that to me seemed like a girlie load. :D

So what's the problem? Did the hot loads cause metal fatigue or something? :vconfused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: I think I broke my pistol.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These are the least expensive entry level not original design revolvers on the market. You have a taste for it now so spend the money on a steel frame 1860 Colt Army, or even this type non original Navy with a steel frame. Then you can shoot real loads with no worry's about shooting loose. These brass frame Piettas are so inexpensive new that it's not even worth paying a gunsmiths rate to fix whatever you fucked up in it. I am sure something just needs some adjustment, but in your case you should graduate to the big boys steel frame revolver, maybe even the 1858 Remington.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sounds like the trigger return spring is broken. That shouldn't be too expensive.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote:Sounds like the trigger return spring is broken. That shouldn't be too expensive.
That makes sence,thanks millman. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The original load for the Colt.44 was a chamber full of powder with the ball jammed down on top, that's around 44-45 grains. Get yourself a steel frame revolver.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The original load for the Colt.44 was a chamber full of powder with the ball jammed down on top, that's around 44-45 grains. Get yourself a steel frame revolver.
I have a steel framed .36 cal and it shoots good with 20gr. :)

Been thinking of getting a front stuffer percussion cap pistol,they should be fun too. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How about a flinter front stuffer pistol? The Pedersoli Kentucky pistol is very nice, and a great way to learn the art of the flintlock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Sonny wrote:Yes JYD told me to shoot lighter loads but did I listen?

Noooooooo I didn't.. :vsad:

My Pietta 1851 Colt Army won't cock unless I either point it straight down to the ground or if I take my left thumb and push on the back of the trigger forward while pulling hammer back with my right thumb.

Has about 350-400 rounds fired using 30gr of fffg.

I did try a few rounds using 20gr but that to me seemed like a girlie load. :D

So what's the problem? Did the hot loads cause metal fatigue or something? :vconfused:
. I'm not much of a pistol guru, but it sounds like a trigger sear adjustment needed.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Well I never shot a flinter but hell yeah I could get into that. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Real white smoke shooters shoot flinters, these take skill to master. First tip's, keep your flints sharp, and don't overload the pan with powder.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Your pistol uses a split spring that runs both the trigger as well as the bolt. Time to tear into it and see what isn't working like it should.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I don't think this is exactly how your revolver is, but it's very close.

Pay attention to #36.
Colt_Single_Action_Army.jpg
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Hey Sonny, my daughter is moving to Alaska next week. I will have her drop off a 2# ball peen hammer for you. That tool will fix anything.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

SA1911a1 wrote:Hey Sonny, my daughter is moving to Alaska next week. I will have her drop off a 2# ball peen hammer for you. That tool will fix anything.
lol at 2# ball peen hammer and congrats to your daughter. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I know this thread is a year and half old, but I'm just curious if Sonny finished destroying that brass revolver, got it fixed, or replaced it? 30 grains in a brass frame 44 huh? Good grief man! :lol:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

bunkysdad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:25 am I know this thread is a year and half old, but I'm just curious if Sonny finished destroying that brass revolver, got it fixed, or replaced it? 30 grains in a brass frame 44 huh? Good grief man! :lol:
I haven't done anything to it's just sitting in the safe.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It shot loose due to excessive use of full house loads, this is why neither side actually produced a brass frame navy revolver. This is entirely a creation of the Italian replica revolver industry in the 1960's. The brass looked cool, and was cheaper to produce so it could be sold cheaper to people starting out with BP shooting. Colt never made a .44 navy either, that also is an Italian creation, the .44 was the army caliber. Brass frame revolvers shoot loose over time even with lighter loads. You enjoyed shooting the brass frame revolver, you are no longer an FNG to BP revolvers, it's time to move up to steel frame serious shooters, 1860 Army.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Its an easy fix.

This is the part you need:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/181990A

You remove the three screws holding the forestrap to the frame, and the screw holding the backstrap to the forestrap. Then remove the bolt spring screw that is holding the bolt/trigger return spring in and replace the spring. reassemble in reverse order. Be sure the mainspring is sitting correctly when you put the forestrap assembly back in.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien