Finn 1909 Izhevsk ex-dragoon M30(91/30) showcase submission

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Finn 1909 Izhevsk ex-dragoon M30(91/30) showcase submission

Post by racerguy00 »

Examples of Finn-used dragoons updated to their M30 or the Soviet 91/30 specs turn up from time to time. These are different than the common refurb exdragoons in that they have none if the usual Soviet refurb marks, the rear sight bases are not pinned and other than the upgrade look like typical Finn capture rifles.

There has been some debate as to whether the Finns upgraded at least some of these or that they were upgraded by the Soviets before capture. In this particular case, I believe it is proven that the Finns upgraded dragoons also.

The rifle is a 1909 Izhevsk that bears Austrian WW1 era AZF stampings on the barrel and receiver. It would have been most likely sold to the Finns after WW1. It has been upgraded to the Finn m30 specs by replacing the rear sight with the newer design and the front blade with a taller blade and spacer. The stock is a two piece Finn-spluced stock, and the bolt is the only matching part as is common with Finn rifles. It is SA and D marked.

IMO the only way the Soviets could have converted this dragoon to 91/30 and not the Finns was for it to have been captured and marked by the Austrians, recaptured by the Russians and later upgraded, then captured by the Finns. Highly unlikely. I have. Never seen an example of a Soviet refurb exdragoon bearing Austrian markings although its possible they exist.

I've seen about a dozen of this type of exdragoon, but this is only the second Imperial dated one and first Austrian marked one I've seen. Definitely an uncommon rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
neal45

Re: Finn 1909 Izhevsk ex-dragoon M30(91/30) showcase submission

Post by neal45 »

I like this one a lot. Great example of an unusual ex-dragoon that I would like to see in the showcase.
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

I concur with the reasoning here. Of the updated dragons I've seen, including a 1917 I own, most seem to also have the stacked front sights. Really unique example here. Real beauty.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Sweet. Believe I say this on FB yesterday :) One thing for sure..., it's done some traveling around :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

:thumbsup: got my vote
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Very nice find. Has my vote as well! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Rongo wrote:Very nice find. Has my vote as well! :thumbsup:
Yours is the one that counts.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

That's a good one, it will represent well in the Showcase. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Very nice, Has my vote.....To the show case with this gem !
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis