Fear Island

steelbuttplate

Fear Island

Post by steelbuttplate »

Watching Animal planet last night, it was a show about"Grandfather grizzly" in the Bearing strait area. They finally got film on one that was 7' tall at the shoulder on all fours, over 12' when they stand to rub their back on trees (filmed).
I just had one question, What kinda sidearm you gonna carry for that ?
They are doing DNA testing to see if these are crossbred between extinct short nose bear and polar bear. They are bigger and meaner than JYD's Buick.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Fear Island

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I picked up a box of .458 Winchester Magnum last weekend, that looks like it would do the trick on the Teddy Bear. 45/70 loaded for the Marlin 1895 would probably do it, with the added advantage of the lever action being a bit faster than the bolt rifles. You might have time to get off a second shot before the pissed off teeth and claws on something about as heavy as a VW was all over your ass. As for sidearm? Against a charging grizzly? No, if you want to kill yourself pills would be easier. Out in the wood with the Griz you carry big medicine, that means a rifle in a large caliber.

May be tougher than the Buick, but not tougher than my FWD dump truck with the 1100 pound steel plow on the front of it. Bear parts all over the roadway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Hitting this thing with the single axle dump w/ plow I drove might just piss it off. They look like Rocky Mt. grizz X 2.
These guys were carrying loads as well, their guide carried a big bore. A Ruger .44 mag. carbine would be light and better than nothing.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The lightest weapon I would like to address a bear like that with would be an APC.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The FWD is big, at least for a six wheeler, it could handle the bear. The 4wd setup makes it higher off the ground than most trucks of it's class, and heavier. It's also what makes it a pain in the ass to use for plowing small lots, it is better on long straightaways.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The FWD is big, at least for a six wheeler, it could handle the bear. The 4wd setup makes it higher off the ground than most trucks of it's class, and heavier. It's also what makes it a pain in the ass to use for plowing small lots, it is better on long straightaways.
A true pain in the ass, was when I started with DOT, it took two men per truck. One driver and one to work the hydraulic jack that lifted the plow. No shit, mounted in the floor on the passenger side. Pushing out big intersections was pure shit detail for the rider. Electric lifts came along in the 80's.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The FWD's plow is only one way, up /down, but it is electric hydraulic.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I have no idea what size firearm it would take to bring him down but, you might carry at least a 9mm to put yourself down if he ever got hold of you.