1942 Izhevsk Hex receiver training/fighting 91/30 showcase submission

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

1942 Izhevsk Hex receiver training/fighting 91/30 showcase submission

Post by racerguy00 »

I just received this really unusual 91/30 and would like to ask the members here to consider it for inclusion into the showcase.

I really like oddball and unusual 91/30s and this one definitely fits the description. I saw it listed for sale online and consider myself fortunate to be able to have snagged it. Here are the unusual features:

Barrel is Уч/Б marked in an unusual font. According to forum member Ratnik, who has researched and written extensively on 91/30 production, this is the abbreviation for учебно- боевая. In English it basically translates as training/fighting.

The rifle has no Izhevsk factory proofs or acceptance stamps on the barel.

The serial number and prefix do not fit the normal pattern for 1942 Izhevsk rifles, either standard round receiver or for recycled hex receiver rifles.

The receiver is a reused hex which is a bit uncommon for this year and arsenal when it comes to refurbed rifles. Also interestingly enough the receiver happens to be American made...from a Westinghouse M91. There is also a lined out serial number on the top receiver flat that doesn't correspond to this rifle. It's unusual to see a number in that location, and that and the font may be a clue to the travels of the prior rifle before being broken down and eventually reused for this 91/30.

Again, according to Ratnik, the markings and lack of proofs indicates that this rifle most likely was shipped as a barrelled receiver to a repair Depot where it was built and marked as a functional trainer. Although most trainers were demilled/non-functional for firing, this one was capable of being fired. However, it was not meant to be issued to front-line troops for combat as it couldn't be guaranteed to be totally reliable in that role. Even so, it was deemed fit to be refurbed along with the multitudes of standard rifles and packed away for storage. At this time it and it's force-matched bayonet are still covered in preservative.

Thanks for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
ffuries

Re: 1942 Izhevsk Hex receiver training/fighting 91/30 showcase submission

Post by ffuries »

Wow, cool on many levels. Never seen one and never heard of them either. Thank you for posting this, I'll have to read more about these if I can find more on them.

:Drool1:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Yeah, you have an unusual 91/30, the likes of which I have never seen up close and personal or even in pictures. I have never seen a 1942 with a hex receiver, but considering that fateful year in the Soviet Union's ongoing conflict with the Nazis, I am not surprised they used every kind of part and component they could find in the interest of producing as many rifles as possible. I also wonder if this rifle was simply changed during the refurbishment process to pair a good barrel with a hex receiver, because the barrel has lots of tool marks (typical with a early 40's Mosin Nagant) and the receiver doesn't. Guess we will never know the complete history behind this one, but thanks a bunch for letting us see it. I vote YES for showcase submission. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Got my vote sir, way cool
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Another showcase submission vote here......... :pointup:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Has my vote also..... :thumbsup: Another great showcase Mosin !!

Dave you really have an eye for these rifles.
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote

Post by WWW »

:thumbsup:

Well, that's something you won't see every day.

Unless you come here, of course.

Very cool!
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

No problem, just fill out the submission forms in triplicate and send copies to all the admins. That will teach you to find rare rifles.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Yes it is a showcase Mosin. One of the more interesting 91/30s I have seen.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That's a sloppy wartime expedient look. I like it!! 8-)

Now Posted On The Showcase!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Quick update. Working theory at the moment is that the struck through serial number on the top of the receiver may be a former Finn Civil Guard number. I've been able to dig up a few examples of Finn rifles with a CG number in that location and the font is nearly identical to a couple of them. Next step will be to have the number researched in Finland to see if anything turns up.
Being a Westinghouse receiver, which was common in Finland, and a Soviet 1942 date on the barrel, it's conceivable that the receiver was part of a Soviet captured Finn rifle, most likely scenario in that case would be during the Winter War.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Got my vote. I saw this one also and was very intrigued. I'd bet that the s/n prefix on this has everything to do with it's assignment as a training rifle. I have an M-44 Уч rifle as well. I am sure it came out of the Balkans somewhere, ultimately exported out of Romania, which lead me to believe that it's training status was assigned in whatever country it was sent to. This one could be the same situation. The reason I say this is based on the stampings on the tang. I remember commenting about this to one of our other forum members when the rifle was listed. The only other place that I have seen stampings like this is on the receivers of the 91/38's This "boxed arrow" stamp as I call it is only found on 91/38's and I also think the other stamp is a badly stamped circle KK/10 stamp, also, only found on 91/38's. So, my conclusion is that this (I mean the assignment of training status) was done in either Czechoslovakia or Albania. Food for thought...
Very unique piece and I remember commenting and appreciating the oddball status of it as well. One thing for sure, the barrel was tuned out quickly LOL. Nice gun!