New to me Chinese T53 1954.4

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Crazysarge16

New to me Chinese T53 1954.4

Post by Crazysarge16 »

Been awhile since I posted on here

Have been trying to downsize some of my stuff lately, mainly to help pay off the new HVAC system we had to install in our house this past week unexpectedly. Plus, I'm not shooting some stuff as much and some builds have been sitting for over two years waiting to be completed. Having cleaned out most everything I was willing to part with, I went back through and made sure all my remaining rifles were in the configurations I wanted them. All said and done I had two AR lowers left over, one Anderson and one Spikes both completed. Not to worry, my remaining surplus collection of my Garand, Italian Carcano M91, SCW Mosin, Savage Lee Enfield, and one Chinese T53 were not harmed during the downsizing.

Posted them up on Armslist, sold the Anderson relatively quickly for just lower and the installed LPK. The Spikes Tactical Crusader lower sat for awhile, until I saw something that peaked my interest. A younger guy was looking for a complete lower to finish his AR and was offering a Chinese T53 for trade. After some wheeling and dealing, we worked a deal we were both happy with. I'm one less AR lower that can spawn into another AR that would linger in the safe and now have another Communist for my Garand to beat up on in the safe.

I love these rifles, this is actually my third. The first two were ones I bought a few years back when Omega had them for $100 shipped. Buddy was my FFL, so best money I had spent in quite some while. Granted both were really rough,but one cleaned up very nicely. Sadly had to sell it last year to pay off other medical bills. The other is still in my garage disassembled, trying to find time to go finish cleaning it up.

This is the first mostly all matching T53 I've encountered. Only number that doesn't match is the buttplate, but the bolt, receiver, trigger guard, and stock all match.

I've even got a Chinese sling somewhere in the garage to throw on this bad boy.

Though this one does have some markings I'm not family with, such as the "92" stamp on side of trigger guard and the star on side of the receiver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Stay classy gentleman, and remember no one touch my snickers" -Cpt Barry Ammons, 2-23 IN 4/2 SBCT
ffuries

Re: New to me Chinese T53 1954.4

Post by ffuries »

Nice looking stock on it. Mine looks like a dog chewed on it, and there was a white haze caused by the degreasing that the importer did.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

Nice looking rifle ,the star marking is interesting I haven`t seen that before.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

JC 762 wrote:Nice looking rifle ,the star marking is interesting I haven`t seen that before.
That is what caught my eye too.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Crazysarge16

Post by Crazysarge16 »

ffuries wrote:Nice looking stock on it. Mine looks like a dog chewed on it, and there was a white haze caused by the degreasing that the importer did.
Yeah, this one is definitely the nicest one I've gotten my hands on so far. I think the previous owner (the guy before the young guy I got it from) had it apart at some time cleaning it cause the action screws were loose when I got it. Still need to completely disassemble and inspect the rifle before I go shooting it. I'll just give everything a once over, oil the metal under the stock, and call it a day.

Passed on my Okie headspace gauges (though I couldn't find my go gauge)
"Stay classy gentleman, and remember no one touch my snickers" -Cpt Barry Ammons, 2-23 IN 4/2 SBCT
Crazysarge16

Post by Crazysarge16 »

SA1911a1 wrote:
JC 762 wrote:Nice looking rifle ,the star marking is interesting I haven`t seen that before.
I was definitely intrigued by the marking once I actually got hands on the rifle. Young guy just sent me pictures of rifle overall, and of the front of receiver. He only had it cause bought it off a friend cause it was fun to shoot
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Unfortunately our friend Bubba has refinished this other wise nice T53. These T53's were made for war not the pretty crowd.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Crazysarge16

Post by Crazysarge16 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Unfortunately our friend Bubba has refinished this other wise nice T53. These T53's were made for war not the pretty crowd.
I was afraid of that, thought it looked too good to be true. Ohh welp, I'm still going to shoot he snot out of it and enjoy it

Probably will leave it alone finish wise cause who cares at this point. Hopefully I can wear it off through hard usage
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Unlike the Soviets the Chinese commies haven't collapsed yet. This means we do not have access to the arsenal information like we have with some of the Soviet stuff. The Chinese aren't talking about their weapons now or in the past, still state secrets assuming anyone over there even remembers what the small markings mean. $100 for an Omega? That must have been much later than the ones I was buying at $25 each, not including the couple that were just given to me by dealers I was doing a lot of business with. When they first came in back in the 80's they were hard to move. That was long before collectors began to appreciate the been there and done it all look. These rifles used an oily wood, shoot it and some of that finish will start lifting off when it gets hot, at least on the front.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Me too :vcool:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Those stars often appear on type 53 carbines and other models too. I am beginning to think maybe it is just a very popular inspection stamp. I have seen quite a few with a similar wood and finish like yours, matter of fact I just traded one recently. There was a period there when someone was trying to match the star stamp on refurb 91/30's with the triangle 25 marking which was also on many of them. I think better heads prevailed and when Alex wrote his book he straightened out a bunch of this stuff while identifying many marks from Soviet repair depots and such. I am almost positive when I say the traded away Type 53 had a star or two on it and I know the wood and finish looked almost identical too.

There was a time when that star supposedly meant that soviet repair work had been done to the rifle too. I know that wood for sure is not the Chu wood the Chinese supposedly used but those rifles did indeed get around to other Combloc nations by the look of them. Navy Arms brought some of the real early ones in and indeed I have one that looks like it was made just yesterday in one of my safes. The one I traded away was very scantly marked Nave Arms import on the receiver rear wing left side and if one had never seen a well marked one you would never know what that chicken scratching was. Usual great trigger and well shot and taken care of bore. I too shot the poop out of it and enjoyed with a great deal of accuracy from it till about 100 yards and after that it wasn't very good. The bore after much use was clean, sharp, and showed the usual wear.

You will like as not enjoy the heck out of shooting that and if I didn't have about a half dozen of them that rifle would have never left here! Congrats and buy lots of ammo for it! Bill :lol:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I am not sure that is a refinish. I have 2 t53's, and while one looks black and oil soaked, the other one is matching, and has the remnants of a shiny finish like that. It is hard to tell from pictures.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

millman wrote:I am not sure that is a refinish. I have 2 t53's, and while one looks black and oil soaked, the other one is matching, and has the remnants of a shiny finish like that. It is hard to tell from pictures.
I didn't say anything about refinish I was just pointing out that type of finish is not typical for a Chi-com type 53 but is often seen. I don't know who did it as a finish but I too am saying it may indeed be original to that variety of type 53. Think I have about 3 or 4 left and they are close to being like that one. It is a common seen finish but who did it and what country I don't know but I doubt it was Bubba. There are just too many that look like that for me to think anything but a country did them. Millman I think you very well described what is found in the overall variety of finishes floating around. Bill :wink:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Bill, I was replying to Chuck(LongColt44).
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It looks a lot like the Finish on this Navy Arms import:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I could very well be wrong on the refinish. When the T 53's were plentiful I made it a mission to collect all the years they made them. All mine are the color of the attached so my view may be tainted.
Chinese T53 004.jpg
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Didn’t Navy Arms refinish many of the T53?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I don't know either, I'm just saying that it is hard to judge from pictures sometimes.

C. S. Lewis
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

capt14k wrote:Didn’t Navy Arms refinish many of the T53?

Who really knows? Val told me one time that they didn't have time to do things like that or money either. I know they had people messing with Enfields making them into quasy Jungle Carbines so maybe they did refinish some of them? That consortium of companies they had often headed different ways at the same time. I do know many of the real early imports they had were like new and sometimes were not even totally serialed as others were. Who made them or maybe redid them? Too many years ago and many involved are long gone so how do we tell? Yet many people are totally sure of this or that in relation to them. Sorry but to my looking at the subject I'm going to believe what Val told me and assume they came in like new with perfect blue from Chinese sources and missing some serials too. I had one many years ago and then to make me prejiduos I found another one recently so I enjoy a tainted viewpoint I guess. Bill :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

God I want another T-53 :)
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart