Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
SA1911a1

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

Post by SA1911a1 »

My wife asked if I could cobble together a table, out of scraps, for her to use as a "crafts" table in the bedroom she is about to confiscate for a woman cave. The top was the ceiling of an old house that I tore down for salvage about 20 years ago. I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.... My mini shop, in a mess from working on the project....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Re: Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

Post by steelbuttplate »

:cool2: Nice. Be careful or you will be making 5 units per week to sell. I hope my wife don't see this.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Wow awesome job there Steve. As said already be careful or you'll be getting orders for more, then retirement won't be so slow.........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote:Wow awesome job there Steve. As said already be careful or you'll be getting orders for more, then retirement won't be so slow.........
Thanks Mike. As long as someone else will buy the materials, I am happy to make the sawdust.

I just wish that, back in the day, when I had the stamina, I would have stacked my wood stock deeper. I still have a fair amount of antique, heart pine, but it is shrinking. Most of the good stuff has already disappeared into projects. My cherry (lumber.. the other sailed in 1967) is gone... A large Red Cedar recently fell on my property, but I can't find anyone to mill it for me any more. You can't buy good lumber around here, even if you could afford it.... I looked all over North Florida for some clear Fir and was told that they hadn't been able to get any in years. Of course, I do also have a stash of Beech and Birch, suitable for small projects, but if I elaborated on the possible source, poor old Jim would have a coronary. :wink:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote:
ffuries wrote:Wow awesome job there Steve. As said already be careful or you'll be getting orders for more, then retirement won't be so slow.........
Thanks Mike. As long as someone else will buy the materials, I am happy to make the sawdust.

I just wish that, back in the day, when I had the stamina, I would have stacked my wood stock deeper. I still have a fair amount of antique, heart pine, but it is shrinking. Most of the good stuff has already disappeared into projects. My cherry (lumber.. the other sailed in 1967) is gone... A large Red Cedar recently fell on my property, but I can't find anyone to mill it for me any more. You can't buy good lumber around here, even if you could afford it.... I looked all over North Florida for some clear Fir and was told that they hadn't been able to get any in years. Of course, I do also have a stash of Beech and Birch, suitable for small projects, but if I elaborated on the possible source, poor old Jim would have a coronary. :wink:
Well I'll admit that I wish I had your skills. I can come up with the ideals, the drawings, etc, but I get frustrated too damn easy and quick anymore. You've got some skill there that is for sure, showed it to CINC Household and she was highly impressed. Maybe you should make up some quick wood projects and sell them at the flea markets. Call it Steve's Southern Woodworks'..........

Maybe my problem is due to having our Son, DIL and 2 grandkids living with us right now. I can get up in an awesome mood, get ready to do weapons maintenance or some other project and get so damn agitated about something that the wife says go back to bed.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

If I made things to sell, it would be work, not fun. I hope I am done with work and I am trying my best to learn to have fun.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is a nice table.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

millman wrote:That is a nice table.
Thank you.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

For a second there, I though you broke in and took a photo of my garage!!!

That is a beauty of a table. Always something "extra" special when you can make recycled wood look that nice. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Darryl
entropy

Post by entropy »

The bench you have in the picture would be SWMBO's craft room! :wink: She'd love to have that kind of a set-up in our garage. She made some shelves for her Fiestaware the other day, she gets her handiness with wood working from her mom and grandpa. I work more in metal, though I do some stockworking.

...fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffuries wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:

Well I'll admit that I wish I had your skills. I can come up with the ideals, the drawings, etc, but I get frustrated too damn easy and quick anymore. You've got some skill there that is for sure, showed it to CINC Household and she was highly impressed. Maybe you should make up some quick wood projects and sell them at the flea markets. Call it Steve's Southern Woodworks'..........

Maybe my problem is due to having our Son, DIL and 2 grandkids living with us right now. I can get up in an awesome mood, get ready to do weapons maintenance or some other project and get so damn agitated about something that the wife says go back to bed.
Just go outside and shoot the trashcan with a .357 magnum, works for me, if still pissed off reload and shoot it again. Lot of holes in that fuckin barrel.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Very nice. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What's with the teeny-tiny vice Steve? You need a vice I have a few in the old shed we are knocking down. A little rusty but good USA steel from long ago, maybe 100-120 pounds worth, big enough for most any job. I can set one aside for you before I sell them for large wad's of cash on eBay. Got a miter box saw that's almost new, friend brought it to me last week and it bit me, I don't do much work with wood so it's available. Got a shit ton of nice wood clamps also, the ones actually made from wood, got them off a cabinet guy who owed me money.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What's with the teeny-tiny vice Steve? You need a vice I have a few in the old shed we are knocking down. A little rusty but good USA steel from long ago, maybe 100-120 pounds worth, big enough for most any job. I can set one aside for you before I sell them for large wad's of cash on eBay. Got a miter box saw that's almost new, friend brought it to me last week and it bit me, I don't do much work with wood so it's available. Got a shit ton of nice wood clamps also, the ones actually made from wood, got them off a cabinet guy who owed me money.
The real (6") vise is on the other side of the room. That little vise comes in really handy for holding small stuff. I would like to talk to you about wood clamps. That is one thing you can not have too many of. I am going to build a 14' jon boat pretty quick and I will need a ton of clamps.

Here is the table, in place, ready for the wife's birthday tomorrow. As you can see, I have still not painted the shutters, but I have started cutting out the third set. Three coats of tung oil has that old wood shining like a mirror. Even though it is not as durable as modern coatings, I like working with tung oil or BLO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

:bravo: Nice looking table.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:What's with the teeny-tiny vice Steve? You need a vice I have a few in the old shed we are knocking down. A little rusty but good USA steel from long ago, maybe 100-120 pounds worth, big enough for most any job. I can set one aside for you before I sell them for large wad's of cash on eBay. Got a miter box saw that's almost new, friend brought it to me last week and it bit me, I don't do much work with wood so it's available. Got a shit ton of nice wood clamps also, the ones actually made from wood, got them off a cabinet guy who owed me money.
The real (6") vise is on the other side of the room. That little vise comes in really handy for holding small stuff. I would like to talk to you about wood clamps. That is one thing you can not have too many of. I am going to build a 14' jon boat pretty quick and I will need a ton of clamps.

Here is the table, in place, ready for the wife's birthday tomorrow. As you can see, I have still not painted the shutters, but I have started cutting out the third set. Three coats of tung oil has that old wood shining like a mirror. Even though it is not as durable as modern coatings, I like working with tung oil or BLO.
Like everyone has stated, awesome job Steve, but tread carefully buddy. You do to good of a job and she'll want more "Handyman Hubby" made furniture for her "Lady's Lair".

:bonk:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Thanks for validating my never throwing away any old wood. Every old growth 2x4, even one 3' long will have use. My wife thinks I have way too much wood.But, take a 100 year old piece of shiplap, cut out the rough spots and you have several board feet of clear select long leaf yellow pine. The stuff is gorgeous.
I had to take down a two story shed and had the demo guys save me every piece of wood. I had about 30 1X12 by 14' pieces, I've gone through about 2/3rds milling exterior trim.
Look at all the whitewood garbage being used for exterior wood and you will understand why it is worth the time.
I'm going to make a butcher block bar top out of old 2x4's. I'll post when I'm done
We have met the enemy and he is us.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

polymerase2 wrote:Thanks for validating my never throwing away any old wood. Every old growth 2x4, even one 3' long will have use. My wife thinks I have way too much wood.But, take a 100 year old piece of shiplap, cut out the rough spots and you have several board feet of clear select long leaf yellow pine. The stuff is gorgeous.
I had to take down a two story shed and had the demo guys save me every piece of wood. I had about 30 1X12 by 14' pieces, I've gone through about 2/3rds milling exterior trim.
Look at all the whitewood garbage being used for exterior wood and you will understand why it is worth the time.
I'm going to make a butcher block bar top out of old 2x4's. I'll post when I'm done
This bar is made from the original kitchen floor of my house. My father redid the house and found that the original floor was walnut, and made this.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

millman wrote:
polymerase2 wrote:Thanks for validating my never throwing away any old wood. Every old growth 2x4, even one 3' long will have use. My wife thinks I have way too much wood.But, take a 100 year old piece of shiplap, cut out the rough spots and you have several board feet of clear select long leaf yellow pine. The stuff is gorgeous.
This bar is made from the original kitchen floor of my house. My father redid the house and found that the original floor was walnut, and made this.
That is a really nice piece.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum