Right place at the right time!

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
B24

Right place at the right time!

Post by B24 »

Stopped by the local pawn shop last week to see if anything new had showed up and as I was about to leave there
is a guy coming through the door with a SKS in one hand and a box of pneumatic tools in the other. He tells he wants
to sell and needed $200 for the SKS. The guy behind the counter says no that the stock has been refinished and that
hurts the value so 30 seconds later the price is down to 160 and the pawn shop still would not buy. I could see that the
guy with the SKS was not going any lower so I go outside and wait in my truck. About 5 minutes passes and here comes
the guy out the door with his SKS, l get out and offer him the $160 he had come down to inside and l go home with a new
rifle. After I get home I start to take a closer look at what I had bought and I find a nice triangle 26 thats not been fired.
Grease is still in the barrel and all the nooks and crannies, removed the action from the stock and find a ton of grease.
The stock had poly applied and the action was never removed. Poly was even applied over the grease, much of it was
not adhered very well and I have probably removed half of it. He did not sand the stock and what I am finding under
the poly is a very nice finish. The rest of the poly is going to be harder to remove but I'm going to do my best without
stripping it. l'm not big into SKS's (2 Chinese and 2 Russians) but could not pass at this price, poly or no poly.
SA1911a1

Re: Right place at the right time!

Post by SA1911a1 »

At that price it was a no-brainer. Around here you can't buy one for under $350.00.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Going to be spending a lot of time loitering outside that pawn shop now aren't you? Good deal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
CAVSGT78

Post by CAVSGT78 »

Wow. I haven’t seen them that price in 10-15 years. Pics please [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice buy! :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Where's the pictures? I mean if you're gonna brag about an awesome deal you got to show us pictures.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I am never in the right place at the right time. Congrats!!
CAVSGT78

Post by CAVSGT78 »

Fledge wrote:I am never in the right place at the right time. Congrats!!
Ditto. I’m that guy that watches the transaction occur with my mouth hanging open in an internal fit of jealousy and rage lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B24

Post by B24 »

The guy must have been needing some quick cash. I've got about 75% of the poly off by just scratching it with my thumb nail
to loosen it and then using compressed air to get under the finish and lift it off. So far there has been no damage to the original
finish but what is left is adhered very well. This is a 23 million series serial number factory 26 so the year of manufacture
should be 1979, it has the French tickler hand guard which is correct for this year. The only strange thing about it is the serial
number on the stock doesn't match the metal, I believe the stock is original because whoever applied the poly did not separate
it from the action. It did not have a bayonet but the lug is still there. My other ChiCom SKS has the castrated bayo lug from
the Clinton era. I may never come across another deal like this.
jimmie322

Post by jimmie322 »

Late piping in and new to the forum. You certainly did great on that deal...being in the right place at the right time works. And, because of that theory I rarely go by my LGS without stopping in to see if they have anything new and exciting...I've scored a few great deals that way!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You all are about to inspire me to get off my butt and go pawning. Thanks......
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
B24

Post by B24 »

jimmie322 wrote:Late piping in and new to the forum. You certainly did great on that deal...being in the right place at the right time works. And, because of that theory I rarely go by my LGS without stopping in to see if they have anything new and exciting...I've scored a few great deals that way!
Another good find since this one, a 9th series Howa Type 99 Arisaka mummed an matching for $150. I carried it to a recent
military show here in Mississippi and a prominent Japanese collector appraised it at $800 to $$900. I was offered $600
but turned the offer down. Maybe should have taken it. I'm not a die hard collector but more of an aquirer of military firearms.
I did come home that day with a nice Kokura type 30 bayonet. My latest pawn shop find was a 39 Elite Diamant K98 bayonet
for $60. The mosinitis is evolving. I stop at nearly every pawn shop I pass and leave empty handed most of the time but persistence pays off every now and then.
jimmie322

Post by jimmie322 »

That is a great find and you really did well it seems! I live in Indiana and none of my local pawn shops carry guns...wish they did...I'm sure they're a great source of good milsurp finds!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

:worthless: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
B24

Post by B24 »

Longcolt44 wrote::worthless: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Here ya go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B24

Post by B24 »

Phone pics always seem to be inverted for me.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Damn nice score. I'm getting jealous of reading about all these SKS scores here lately! :D
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I was at a gun show and a woman was pushing her dad about in a wheelchair. They were in the process of being taken advantage of by a dealer concerning his M1. He had some type of stoke and could not speak very well and the daughter just did not know what they had. The dealer offered them a joke of a price and the older man was obviously agitated about it but couldn't let his daughter know. I usually don't get involved in other people's business but they old guy was about to get a royal hose job and the daughter just didn't know any better. I chimed in and told her what she had and an appropriate amount, based on what I could see (about 3 times what the dealer was offering). The dealer got bent with me but I just couldn't watch the old man (probably a WW II vet) get screwed like that. I felt that I was in the right place at the right time. I told the lady to do some research and to check the CMP website for prices.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Has that gun been refinished?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Ironnewt wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 am I was at a gun show and a woman was pushing her dad about in a wheelchair. They were in the process of being taken advantage of by a dealer concerning his M1. He had some type of stoke and could not speak very well and the daughter just did not know what they had. The dealer offered them a joke of a price and the older man was obviously agitated about it but couldn't let his daughter know. I usually don't get involved in other people's business but they old guy was about to get a royal hose job and the daughter just didn't know any better. I chimed in and told her what she had and an appropriate amount, based on what I could see (about 3 times what the dealer was offering). The dealer got bent with me but I just couldn't watch the old man (probably a WW II vet) get screwed like that. I felt that I was in the right place at the right time. I told the lady to do some research and to check the CMP website for prices.
The dealer could have gotten bent and all of the people in the show would of listened to me tell him what a greedy prick he was taking advantage of a sick old man. Before I got through he would have either been crying or fighting, and either would have been fine.

All I can say is good on you!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum