mineral spirits disposal

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Riva9999

mineral spirits disposal

Post by Riva9999 »

Hi all,

If I use mineral spirits to dissolve stubborn cosmoline, what do I do with the nasty liquid? Leave it somewhere to slowly dry up, soak in kitty litter, or something else?

Thanks!
Aaron
Brake Weight

mineral spirits disposal

Post by Brake Weight »

I usually take an old broomstick and stick it into a fire ant bed as far as it can go. Sometimes the 5.5’ isn’t enough. Wiggle it around a few times and then pull it out. Pour any of the nasty stuff in there and hope it kills the queen. Or take it to the local parts house in an oil container.
Last edited by Brake Weight on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
steelbuttplate

Re: mineral spirits disposal

Post by steelbuttplate »

That might make my '65 C-10 smoke a little if I poured it in the gas tank. :lol:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Know anybody with a waste oil heater? They can toss it in with the waste oil. Do your own oil changes on the car/truck/SUV ? You can toss it in with that oil when you bring the old oil back to the auto part store. Let it sit in a jug, the crud will settle out to the bottom, reuse the clean portion next time you need to clean something.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Huh, didn't think about the waste separating out. Thanks!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I do the same thing I do with bad gasoline. I pour it into a metal container, set fire to it and it goes away. I have a dedicated cast iron pot for the act.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

I like the letting the fire ants eat it. I hated the SOB's when I lived in TX, still have scars on my ankles from hitting a nest with the walk-behind mower. I used the landlord's rider after that. (I mowed for part of our rent.)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get caught pouring waste oils on the ground here ( it could show up in our six times a year ground water runoff test) and massive fines and jail would be the result. Do not pollute the environment, there are poisons that can be used for insects that work better than oils, or just pour molten aluminum into the nest and sell the....sculpture.. on eBay to some Hollywood shitbag for fifty grand.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

entropy wrote:I hated the SOB's when I lived in TX, still have scars on my ankles from hitting a nest with the walk-behind mower. I used the landlord's rider after that. (I mowed for part of our rent.)
Ouch. I imagine the mower sucked them all up and sprayed them against your legs. Sounds like a lot of fun. I get those nasty little buggers in Arizona too. They make big tall mounds of rocks. I used to drive the riding mower on top of the mound to sandblast the underside of the mower and clean off all the grass buildup.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

entropy wrote:I like the letting the fire ants eat it. I hated the SOB's when I lived in TX, still have scars on my ankles from hitting a nest with the walk-behind mower. I used the landlord's rider after that. (I mowed for part of our rent.)
When I was a little shit and my dad was stationed at Tyndall AFB, Florida I drove my tricycle into a big ass fire ant hill, I also still have scars/pock marks on my legs from those little red bastards. To this day I hate them, we treat the yard almost weekly to keep them at bay.

Death to fire ants, kill em all.......... :furious:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

For fire ants I use boiling water. I love to hear the little bastards screaming. I don't go pouring gas on the ground, because my well is nearby.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

entropy wrote:I like the letting the fire ants eat it. I hated the SOB's when I lived in TX, still have scars on my ankles from hitting a nest with the walk-behind mower. I used the landlord's rider after that. (I mowed for part of our rent.)
They're a fact of life here in Louisiana I just killed about 50 mounds on my property last week. Weather's getting warm so they're resurfacing everywhere. As suggested you can pour stuff in the mound and hope it kills the queen but they have more than one in most mounds. Nasty little buggers.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dynamite?
Theodore Roosevelt
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

My grandpa kept a garden sprayer and would fill it with some concoction of his. On the wand he had added about 4’ of stainless brakeline and would shove this down as far as he could get it. Then let them have it, whatever it was. I really don’t know what he used and it could’ve been agent orange for all I know. Or whatever that stuff was in the early ‘80s that killed anything that breathed.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

In the early 80 and earlier, the big "killer" was chlordane. I still have 1/2 of a 1/2 gallon jug of that stuff. Takes 1 teaspoon for a gallon of water. Illegal now, but nothing can live through it ..... nothing. Problem is, it last for years and years. They used to use it for termites. I used it around the ground around my bee hives. Bees fly over it, but anything crawling below is dead.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

dolk wrote:In the early 80 and earlier, the big "killer" was chlordane. I still have 1/2 of a 1/2 gallon jug of that stuff. Takes 1 teaspoon for a gallon of water. Illegal now, but nothing can live through it ..... nothing. Problem is, it last for years and years. They used to use it for termites. I used it around the ground around my bee hives. Bees fly over it, but anything crawling below is dead.
That’s likely what he used then. He’d shove the extra long wand down and give it a good squirting as he pulled it back out. Normally ants pile their dead up outside the mound, with this stuff they didn’t.
Abraham Lincoln
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote:For fire ants I use boiling water. I love to hear the little bastards screaming. I don't go pouring gas on the ground, because my well is nearby.
isn't that a lot of work, catching all them little bastards and putting them in a pot of water?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Brake Weight wrote:My grandpa kept a garden sprayer and would fill it with some concoction of his. On the wand he had added about 4’ of stainless brakeline and would shove this down as far as he could get it. Then let them have it, whatever it was. I really don’t know what he used and it could’ve been agent orange for all I know. Or whatever that stuff was in the early ‘80s that killed anything that breathed.
Cyanide :twisted: I have a hundred year old bottle out in the barn for getting rid of mice, rats, bugs, and......whatever else needs getting rid of.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

dolk wrote:In the early 80 and earlier, the big "killer" was chlordane. I still have 1/2 of a 1/2 gallon jug of that stuff. Takes 1 teaspoon for a gallon of water. Illegal now, but nothing can live through it ..... nothing. Problem is, it last for years and years. They used to use it for termites. I used it around the ground around my bee hives. Bees fly over it, but anything crawling below is dead.
I loved that stuff as it was good for most anything needed to be kilt out... :lol: I even used it to kill grubs in the yard getting rid of moles making tunnels all over the place. No food so they leave or maybe the chlordane killed them too. I did spray it under the house once ridding moles and breathing the stuff got the best of me and sent me to the doctors office. Man was I ever sick, middle of summer and for some reason I couldn't brake a sweat. I finally took off running one morning in the hot weather and in about a mile the sweat broke and I was fine after that. Never thought at the time I'd been poisoned. I'd pay big for a gallon of that now and being older I'd be much more careful.
Artyom Kvasov

Post by Artyom Kvasov »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:41 pm I do the same thing I do with bad gasoline. I pour it into a metal container, set fire to it and it goes away. I have a dedicated cast iron pot for the act.
Outside of setting fire to it is there any better way?