Show your original historical photos of Mosin-Nagant rifles in use before June 1941!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ABTOMAT

Show your original historical photos of Mosin-Nagant rifles in use before June 1941!

Post by ABTOMAT »

Hi!

(Please excuse me for my bad English. I will always try my best.)

I always love to see original historical photos of Mosin-Nagant rifles in use. And I know I am not alone with this. :) Common "historical" means more than 100 years old but I think in connection with the history of Mosin-Nagant rifles all photos before June 1941 and the German-Soviet war are more interesting (Not least because of that the Soviet propaganda from 1941 to 1945 had enough photos of Mosin-Nagants in use especially snipers.)

Well, show your original photos of Mosin-Nagant rifles in use before June 1941!
Mosin-Nagant rifles use in Imperial Russian Army and every other nation and conflict before June 1941 ... in use from 1892 to 1914, in World War I from 1914 to 1918, in Russian Civil War, in Latvian War of Independence from 1918 to 1920, in Finnish Winter War from 1939 to 1940 ... every photo scan in great quality.

Of course I will start with a photo of my collection:

A 100 year old photo from World War I. A German Landsturm privat of 2. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Schroda, V. Armee-Korps (peacetime location: Posen) with a Imperial Russian Mosin-Nagant 1891 infantry rifle, type from 1893 to 1908 with magazine rear sling swivel.

Sebastian
steelbuttplate

Re: Show your original historical photos of Mosin-Nagant rifles in use before June 1941!

Post by steelbuttplate »

:cool2: More please.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Re: Show your original historical photos of Mosin-Nagant rifles in use before June 1941!

Post by SA1911a1 »

I like that photo and also request that you share others with us. I really like the detail on the ammo pouches and suspension system
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ABTOMAT

Post by ABTOMAT »

I hope many others will post their historical photos of Mosin-Nagant rifles in use before 1941. Here's the next:

A 100 year old photo of World War I too. A German Landsturm private too. He is from Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Auerbach, XIX. (2. Königlich Sächsisches) Armee-Korps (peacetime location: Leipzig) with a Imperial Russian Mosin-Nagant 1891 infantry rifle, type from 1909 to 1918 with steel cross bolt and sling slots in the stock, old type barrel bands.

The way he holds his Mosin-Nagant is the typical way German "Jäger" were instructed to hold their rifles in comfortable position. Most probably this guy was in a Jäger-Bataillon in his national service before he joined the Landsturm. "Jäger" were the better educated infantry man, knowing more about camouflage, shooting from all positions, shooting while moving and so on ... the "Elite" at that time.

The Landsturm troops were German units consisting of older but defense capable man that automatically joined the Landsturm after their regular national service and were only called to military exercises or when it is war.

There are 2 interesting points for Mosin-Nagant collectors:

1. The Germans didn't used/issued all Mosin-Nagant rifles that they captured. In WWI in Germany there were many gigantic military warehouses full with captured weapons of all enemy nations. They captured a lot Mosin-Nagant rifles BUT just a few thousand were really used/issued by/to German units. The biggest part of them were just laying in German military warehouses for all the time in WWI. Regrettable, because it can be a tactical advantage to proceed against Russia while using Russian rifles ... Captured rifles were only issued to second-rate military units.

2. Nearly all German captured Mosin-Nagant rifles that were really used/issued by/to German units in war were issued to the Landsturm. Landsturm units used many older German rifles like the Gewehr 88.

Sebastian
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

There are some photo's in this section you might find interesting.
viewforum.php?f=26
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

This gentleman was Michael Lang.

He was a "Russian German" (Germans who lived in Russia for 4 generations) and he could speak German and Russian. This is why he was made into an officer over the other "Russian Germans" who were drafted off the farms in the Volga area and could only speak German at the time. They fought for Russia in WWI. He returned to Russia (Volga area) after the war.

ElP

Post by ElP »

ABTOMAT wrote:A 100 year old photo from World War I. A German Landsturm privat of 2. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Schroda, V. Armee-Korps (peacetime location: Posen) with a Imperial Russian Mosin-Nagant 1891 infantry rifle, type from 1893 to 1908 with magazine rear sling swivel.
It is a great picture of German ersatz sling! Danke!

Here you can see Russian WW1 ersatz slings for Mosins with stocks without sling slots or sling swivels.
ria.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
ElP

Post by ElP »

Genetically Swiss wrote:Image

Is there any Mosin rifle in this picture?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:no2: They look like they're waiting on a artillery round to hit. The two standing are not worried.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

ElP wrote:
Genetically Swiss wrote:Image

Is there any Mosin rifle in this picture?

I don’t know, but I liked the photo.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
ElP

Post by ElP »

This photo is not from my collection, but is quite good.