Late date M28/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
No_0ne

Late date M28/30

Post by No_0ne »

Picked this one up during the holidays, thought it would be a good Christmas present to myself. The rifle was advertised on one of the common listing sites of arms as a "1970 M39". The picture clearly showed it to be in an M28/30 stock although little else could be determined from it. Intrigued, I took the chance and bought it over the phone.
The rifle turned out to be a 1970 M28/30, in a post-war (what else) stock. It has a 2-stage trigger, shimmed action, but no barrel sleeve as my other M28/30 does. The tang date shows the receiver to be a 1913 Izhevsk, with the normal mix of various manufacturers stamps on the remaining parts. I knew from other references these late date M28/30's existed, but this is the first one I've come across. Although most of my collecting interest is in WWII and earlier rifles, I like this one a lot.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Late date M28/30

Post by millman »

Cool. That should be quite a shooter.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

front sights are 28/30
Rear sights are 28/30
Stock is 28/30
Well, sure looks like a 28/30 with a 1970 date.
Wow.

Dolk
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

These don’t pop up every day. Great acquisition and thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Fantastic find!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice catch.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Nice find.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I think you will find the missing aluminum sleeve will make little to no difference in the accuracy. Until recently I owned and shot 23 of these wonderful rifles and found that to be the case in my shooting of them. Some of them slug out at close to 308 but if you buy different kinds of ammo and check the bullets with just a vernier caliper after buying them you will find certain ones are close to 309 or so in certain lots. The rifle will do well with them and ok with others. I have never seen any signs of the dreaded over pressurization everyone fears but that is just my experience. Everyone has their own way of breaking in a barrel and mine is simple, I go shoot it period and dry clean with a Stainless brush between 5 shot groups. I'm sure I will hear other methods now but it ain't gonna change what I've been doing for 30 or 40 years regardless. Congrats on finding a real oddity not seen often! :pointup: Bill

PS still selling the others at local shows as I have cut down to about half that now.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Easy solution to getting rid of the remaining half of the 28/30 hoard. Cardboard and a sharpie marker, make a sign and put it on your table. Finn M28/30 Mosin rifles, $30 each, you will be relieved of them in ten minutes. Folding money is easier to haul back out to the car once the shows over.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Easy solution to getting rid of the remaining half of the 28/30 hoard. Cardboard and a sharpie marker, make a sign and put it on your table. Finn M28/30 Mosin rifles, $30 each, you will be relieved of them in ten minutes. Folding money is easier to haul back out to the car once the shows over.
I like this solution! I would even volunteer to take one for the team a drive up to WV and “overpay” at a rate of $50 per 28/30 to help you with this problem Bill! I bet I could even arm twist a few other forum members to pitch in!

ROAD TRIP TO WV!!!

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

TnBuckeye wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Easy solution to getting rid of the remaining half of the 28/30 hoard. Cardboard and a sharpie marker, make a sign and put it on your table. Finn M28/30 Mosin rifles, $30 each, you will be relieved of them in ten minutes. Folding money is easier to haul back out to the car once the shows over.
I like this solution! I would even volunteer to take one for the team a drive up to WV and “overpay” at a rate of $50 per 28/30 to help you with this problem Bill! I bet I could even arm twist a few other forum members to pitch in!

ROAD TRIP TO WV!!!

NO ..... It's called a "group buy"!!
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

dolk wrote:
TnBuckeye wrote:

ROAD TRIP TO WV!!!

NO ..... It's called a "group buy"!!

Dolk you are on to something here! But come on, you know you want to go bump around in the woods in WV!!!

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I like that idea but your missing a couple of zero's. actually one plus a change in some digits would do. Bring it on! Bill :roll:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Your right, forgot the decimal point and the zeros after it, $30.00, what was I thinking? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Theodore Roosevelt
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Wait 30.00? 50.00 even? I think I'm getting overcharged for mine. Uh Bill? :lol: :chain:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
No_0ne

Post by No_0ne »

joe7170 wrote:Wait 30.00? 50.00 even? I think I'm getting overcharged for mine. Uh Bill? :lol: :chain:
I could do that. Shipping does tend to be kind of expensive from here though ...
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Pretty cool, I have never seen one before either. Thanks for sharing.