How can I remove this black stuff without damage?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sutts

How can I remove this black stuff without damage?

Post by sutts »

The barrel on my 91/30 has some patches of black stuff on it. Not sure whether it's remains of preservative or something else? Any idea how I can remove this without affecting the original finish please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: How can I remove this black stuff without damage?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The commies used black paint to hide a multitude of bluing sins, it's perfectly normal to see such on any Soviet weapon, especially the refurbished ones. What's more surprising is it never seemed to occur to them to simply forgo the bluing altogether and just paint the metal with cheap, easy to apply black paint as others had done.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I removed some of that from mine using lacquer thinner and found perfectly good bluing underneath. Lacquer thinner won't hurt bluing.

Results may vary.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
B24

Post by B24 »

Pick it up handle it everyday for a couple of weeks and there won't be
any left on it. Poorest excuse for paint that has ever been made.
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

To be fair they probably didn't stop bluing them because "reasons" and they had to make sure the bluing guy kept his job even if he did drink several bottle of vodka a day while on the job. Plus this way you got to employ painters to cover up the messed up bluing so yay everyone gets jobs.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That paint is a part of the rifles history, a good representation of the slipshod way the communists did practically everything. Like everything else even their cheap cover up solutions have issues, the paint tends not to adhere to the metal well because they failed to properly clean the metal surfaces of oils first. The cure for this is to carefully blot the painted area with alcohol on a soft rag. Don't soak it or the paint will lift worse, let it dry and then apply clear shellac over the paint. The shellac is easily removed with alcohol and is not a permanent alteration to the metal. We stress preservation of history here over " pretty" protect the paint and the next owner after your taking your dirt nap will be able to appreciate how the Soviet Union did things. During a conversation with a helpful park service guide at the US Springfield Armory museum a few years back this sort of "fix" came up. I asked if the armorers ever fixed bluing problems or parkerizing issues with paint, by the look on his face you would think I asked something inappropriate about his mother. The "solution" to a bluing or parkerizing problem was to send back and redo the entire part until it was done right and would pass inspection by inspectors who had a very critical eye. I imagine I would have gotten the same reaction had I asked an armorer at the Mauser factory in 1909. During the press of war such shortcuts are expected if things have gone totally to shit as they did in the USSR by late 1941. It's less excusable when it happens in peacetime when the "refurbs" were done, then it's incompetence and laziness coupled with financial belt tightening. The USSR always was a 100 pound bear stuffed with 300 pounds of bullshit, at least they managed to construct the rifles themselves without clusterfucking that also, despite appearance's they do shoot well most of the time, and I don't recall any blowing up.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I didn't know what it was at that time. I removed it thinking it was hardened Cosmoline so no reason to keep it on there. I know better now.

It is part of the rifle's history. I do not encourage removing it because that is against the rules of this forum. However, for the sake of your rifle, it is better for you to know a way of removing it without causing other damage than for you to not know and perhaps cause other damage by experimenting on your own.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

AMCHornet wrote:I didn't know what it was at that time. I removed it thinking it was hardened Cosmoline so no reason to keep it on there. I know better now.

It is part of the rifle's history. I do not encourage removing it because that is against the rules of this forum. However, for the sake of your rifle, it is better for you to know a way of removing it without causing other damage than for you to not know and perhaps cause other damage by experimenting on your own.
ALWAYS better to ask first on anything. Hell even I do from time to time. Figure what your plan is before you even think to start. Ask and these guys will tell you before you start. Asking after is almost a useless process. Always go SLOW.

Darryl
Mosin_Shooter1891

Post by Mosin_Shooter1891 »

Some express distaste towards black paint and orange shellac for refurb three line rifles. It was done only as a preservatant, to keep rifles in the fight for later use. It does not need to be pretty, only to work which it does well. Three line rifles were made for open combat to defeat capitalists and facist enemy of Soviet Union, not to be as pretty as a Holland & Holland. They are more like a hammer or a wrench, a tool for spreading message of communism.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Incorrect, three line rifles were designed and first built for Czarist Russia, the later communist state simply inherited the design and changed it only slightly from it's 1891 original configuration. The three line rifle was designed to defeat the enemy's of the Czar, and later used to kill many communists both in the hands of the white Russian forces and the communists themselves when they started killing each other by the millions.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I have a couple with the black paint on them.

They were sold as "shooter grade" and I picked them up on the cheap. :wink:

Funny thing is they really are great shooters but ugly as sin with the pitting on the bolts.

Have a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote:I have a couple with the black paint on them.

Funny thing is they really are great shooters but ugly as sin with the pitting on the bolts.

Have a look.
Damn those have had a hard ass life.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

ffuries wrote:
Sonny wrote:I have a couple with the black paint on them.

Have a look.
Damn those have had a hard ass life.....
Probably laid on the bottom of the Volga river for awhile. :D
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That '43 Tula should shoot good the CH is saying it was or should have been a sniper. Check inside the action for old plugged holes.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Longcolt44 wrote:That '43 Tula should shoot good the CH is saying it was or should have been a sniper. Check inside the action for old plugged holes.
Holy smokes you are Right,it has two plugged holes. :o

Cool beans..thanks Longcolt44.. :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Mosin_Shooter1891

Post by Mosin_Shooter1891 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Incorrect, three line rifles were designed and first built for Czarist Russia, the later communist state simply inherited the design and changed it only slightly from it's 1891 original configuration. The three line rifle was designed to defeat the enemy's of the Czar, and later used to kill many communists both in the hands of the white Russian forces and the communists themselves when they started killing each other by the millions.
The black paint and orange shellac were for the purposes mentioned regardless of targets. Thank you.
sutts

Post by sutts »

Thanks for the help guys, this forum really is a goldmine of information. I really love my Mosin - would happily collect a bunch of them if it wasn't for the UK gun laws. I think acquiring a number of the same model is frowned upon over here.
sutts

Post by sutts »

Thanks guys, glad I asked before trying anything stupid. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mosin_Shooter1891 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Incorrect, three line rifles were designed and first built for Czarist Russia, the later communist state simply inherited the design and changed it only slightly from it's 1891 original configuration. The three line rifle was designed to defeat the enemy's of the Czar, and later used to kill many communists both in the hands of the white Russian forces and the communists themselves when they started killing each other by the millions.
The black paint and orange shellac were for the purposes mentioned regardless of targets. Thank you.
I was talking about this statement-
Three line rifles were made for open combat to defeat capitalists and facist enemy of Soviet Union

They were indeed used against the enemys of the USSR, but the design was inherited from the Czar, not created by the Soviet Union. The SVT38 & 40, SKS, and AK series rifles were created by the Soviet Union.
Theodore Roosevelt