Pair of M1917's

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Greasemonkey

Pair of M1917's

Post by Greasemonkey »

I see loads of 1911s, both commercial and old military, but I saw these listed in a little local auction the other weekend, I decided to end the year on a good note. It's fairly rare to see them, much less a set of both makes, Colt and S&W. I have seen quite a few of the later built Brazilian marked M1917s popping up. Both are pretty much in original form unlike some that have been modified or have modified cylinders or "worked on" after they were surplused. The only thing I have found is the plastic S&W grips, they may not be original. The cylinder lockup is pretty tight on both, and I don't think it would be unsafe to shoot.

The serials date both to 1918, and one thing I never realized, unlike most other US weapons, there is almost nothing interchangeable between these two. And like modern Colts and S&W they are backwards from each other, cylinder rotation, the cylinder releases, Colt you pull, S&W you push, the rifling and even the stampings on the butt are reversed. The Colt is late enough in serial to have the cylinder modified so the cases could be loaded singly like the S&W, both can use moon clips..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greasemonkey on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Greasemonkey

Re: Pair of M1917's

Post by Greasemonkey »

Few more shots of markings..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

Very interesting to compare the two thanks. Nice way to make an acquisition.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I don't think I have ever said this to a guy but....nice pair.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I honestly didn't know there was a difference between them, never having seen them side by side, Interesting to say the least.

I echo Longcolt44's statement "Nice pair"! Now I hope that is the last time I catch myself saying that to a guy.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Longcolt44 wrote:I don't think I have ever said this to a guy but....nice pair.
Well...don't think I have had a guy tell me that.. :chuckles:

I'm just glad it wasn't one of those auctions that went stupid in prices.. The Colt was a little more, which they carry the premium typically, in my case, it was a shade less than 200 bucks more than the S&W.

I would imagine this was a mess, considering every other weapon system had at least some commonality between manufactures. But they must have worked well, they were used from the end of WWI to Vietnam as I understand. Usually they were used by rear line troops and such, I've seen it said, tunnel rats in Vietnam were known to use them as well.

3 more showing the differences.