7.62 x 39 154 Grain SP

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
rideandslidejim

7.62 x 39 154 Grain SP

Post by rideandslidejim »

Hello all

Been takeing my SKS hunting this year ( nothing so far ) but a guy at the range told me about they have a 7.62 x 39 in a 154 grain sp. I picked up 120 rounds at a good price. Anyone had an experience with them hunting ?

Many Thanks :thumbsup:
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
A1RADIOMAN

Re: 7.62 x 39 154 Grain SP

Post by A1RADIOMAN »

What brand are they?
“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Should be roughly equivalent to a .30-.30. I bet it was brought out for bolt guns like this. http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/ I wonder if a steady diet of these heavy bullets would damage a semi-auto?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I only used 123gr softpoints but 154 gr sounds great,

Just practice with them and keep your range to 100 yards or less.

Guy I work with shot a moose with 123gr..One shot in the lungs at about 50 yards and it was game over.

Moose took a few stumbling steps and crash down he went.

Anyway my deer ran about 60-70 yards downhill in deep snow. That's why I look tired after dragging that prick back to the truck. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

How big is that deer Sonny? It looks big compared to the typical ones from KY. 160+ is BIG here.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote:How big is that deer Sonny? It looks big compared to the typical ones from KY. 160+ is BIG here.
I'm not into the whole scouring thing but it was a little buck that tasted great. ... lol
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sonny wrote:
millman wrote:How big is that deer Sonny? It looks big compared to the typical ones from KY. 160+ is BIG here.
I'm not into the whole scouring thing but it was a little buck that tasted great. ... lol
I just meant weight.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

rideandslidejim wrote:Hello all

Been takeing my SKS hunting this year ( nothing so far ) but a guy at the range told me about they have a 7.62 x 39 in a 154 grain sp. I picked up 120 rounds at a good price. Anyone had an experience with them hunting ?

Who makes that round? I can't find any listed that heavy.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

steelbuttplate wrote:
rideandslidejim wrote:Hello all

Who makes that round? I can't find any listed that heavy.

Tula is one company that makes them. I have about 500rds I got from SGAmmo. Sam has the 1000rd lots listed right now for $239.50+$25SH he usually has them listed in smaller lots like 20, 100, and 500rds but he has a lot of the smaller listings shut off for now because they're getting ready to shut down for their yearly Christmas vacation and because they're swamped with orders. A lot of them from California. Here's the ones SGAmmo has. http://www.sgammo.com/product/tula/1000 ... -tula-ammo
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Found some others but this seems like the best price right now. Natchez has a 10% off coupon today only PO171218 and they're $8.72+SH/40rds http://gun-deals.com/displaydeal.php?dealid=37500
Chico1968

Post by Chico1968 »

Hello, just wondering how anyone made out with the 154gr SP ammo.....been intrested in trying my newly purchased SKS for hunting and using this grain ammo,
That's a great looking buck Sonny, you were saying that u know someone who used their SKS on a moose, I live in Newfoundland, Labrador, Canada and we have moose, caribou, black bear. ..(but no deer) if it meets the comparison of the 30-30 going to take out bear hunting and give er a try.

Cheers
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

People seem to downplay the 30-30. A well placed shot with one will kill anything within 100 yards. Mr. Bear here lost his life from a shot to the top of the spine at about 40 yards with a 150 gr soft point. His former home was Lake Shasta in Northern Calif. He weighed in at just shy of 400 lbs.
Mr. Bears bullets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Lol. Love seeing that bear.

The 30-30 basically tamed the Wild West. In the right, or wrong, hands it nearly became an assault rifle. The only rifle my dad owns is a 30-30 and it’s put a lot of meat across the table.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Chico1968

Post by Chico1968 »

Thats a nice bear, love the way he's setup, met an ole fella at the local gun shop awhile back and he said this...PICK THE RIGHT BULLET, MAKE A GOOD SHOT, AND KEEP THE RANGE UNDER 200 YRDS, and you'll be fine....also heard of a 170gr HP in the 7.62x39 not sure on manufacturer,

Chéers
Last edited by Chico1968 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chico1968

Post by Chico1968 »

billybob123

Post by billybob123 »

Not too long ago I was watching a show where a guy went fishing in Russia. In some area where they have those huge Russian bears. I watched and then noticed his guide carried an SKS for protection. I got to thinking, man if these Russian guides are in an area where a grizzly would look small and they're carrying SKS's there must be something to it. They never did say what rounds they were using but I would tend to think it was the 154 grain projectiles. The SKS's only had the standard 10 round fixed mags as well. I wouldn't be comfortable with a 10 rounder with monster bears, I would put my 20 round fixed mag on there. If your rifle can handle .311 projectiles you have a lot of larger bullets you can reload the SKS for.