M44 power

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
thumbs

M44 power

Post by thumbs »

Long story but what would be a comparable cartridge to the 762x54r? Ok I was considering a .308 but not sure it would offer me much over the m44. Looking at the youtube vids not sure I really want one. My m44 seems to run better than any of the new ones. Anyway anyone know?

thanks
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M44 power

Post by millman »

.308 or any of the other .30 cal battle rifle cartridges. 30-06, 8mm, .303, etc.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Ok thanks. I like to ole m44 anyway.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you are just looking for power, the Mosin is just fine. If you want pinpoint accuracy, any modern sporter in any caliber, is better than an M44. Not knocking Mosins. It is just a fact.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Oh no I understand what your saying. I was considering another rifle but I won't be shooting it more than 100yards. I still may pick something up but not in a hurry. Just wanted to know where the 7.62x54r would stand with a 308 or 30-06 in power capability. I know she kicks like a mule. LOL
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

thumbs wrote:Oh no I understand what your saying. I was considering another rifle but I won't be shooting it more than 100yards. I still may pick something up but not in a hurry. Just wanted to know where the 7.62x54r would stand with a 308 or 30-06 in power capability. I know she kicks like a mule. LOL
"Kicks like a mule"... Yes it does kick, making it important to hold the butt in the "Pocket" of the shoulder when shooting it. The steel buttplate will make hamburger of one's shoulder if held incorrectly.

Consider getting a sporting rifle in .308. Ruger American, Remington 700, etc with a good scope. Allows you to shoot both .308 & 7.62 NATO.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At 100 yards shooting paper .22LR would do you just fine and cost a lot less . If you are not shooting paper then cartridge size might be a question, say if you were going after African rhino for instance, or elephant. There are many cartridges with more power than the 7.62x54r, however cost goes up very rapidly when you start getting into the big belted magnum rounds.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Most of the military ammo is high powered and high kicking with the exception of the 6.5x55, and to a certain extent the 7mm's, but that round has it's unique qualities - it is very accurate and hits pretty hard. I really like the 7.62x51 in an M1A Scout Squad. Recoil is much diminished because of the muzzle brake and it will shoot the balls off a flea at 100 yards. Problem is the cost. They aren't cheap. That said, the M-44 is extremely "effective" at 100 yards. Most animals in this part of the country (of all types) are going down.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I'm real fond of the Remington 783 that I picked up in .308. The scope that came on it was junk though.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

.308 is pretty close to the 7.62x54R, the rifle will be the deciding factor in accuracy. Just about any decent modern rifle will out-shoot an M44. It's just the way it is
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If you want to stay with the Mosin cartridge, Look for a good M-39, shoots the same cheap milsurp ammo and you can get one for what you pay for a good .308.... 2-3 " groups at 100 yd. if your vision is good. Two Mosins are better than one. :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"