7.62x54r Reloads

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
jfrink23

7.62x54r Reloads

Post by jfrink23 »

Hello, All!
I had a question for you out there, I am have never reloaded my own ammunition before and I want to get into it to make shooting cheaper overall for me, I don't get to go out as often as I would like due to funds, is it worth to reload 7.62x54r? I have heard all surplus ammo is one shot one deal so what do I use to reload? I know most people buy a .22 and call it a day but I have this nice Mosin, my first, and a really nice Kimber 1911 in .45acp It would be nice to reload the both calibers to help cut some costs, any tips??
entropy

Re: 7.62x54r Reloads

Post by entropy »

You think you're broke now, start reloading and find out what broke really is......
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Oh I'm guessing reloading materials is still pretty expensive? Maybe I'm better off just stocking up on crates of surplus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Reloading will get you out to the range more, but you'll want to shoot more. You'll also want more equipment as well. With commercially available ammo, the question boils down to how you want to spend your money as opposed to really saving any substantial amounts.

Example-you start out with a single stage press and dies. After using that a bit, you'll want a progressive press. You'll also want a case trimmer, cleaning tumbler, chamfer and deburring tool, dies, a bullet puller, etc. You'll also need cleaning media and case lube. Then you'll want a chronograph to measure ballistic velocity.

As far as equipment is concerned, determine your needs and buy the best quality equipment you can afford. Good tools will last a lifetime.
entropy

Post by entropy »

OK, I was being a bit dark there. I do reload both calibers you want to. I'd say look at your goals first. Just more ammo? Accurate target or hunting ammo? Light loads for beginning shooters or a tender shoulder? 1000 rounds a month for IPSC with that KImber? Just plinking ammo in .45 ACP?

Unless you are serious about the IPSC part, you can probably go with a single-stage press. Lee and RCBS are the two brands I recommend, as I have used the same RCBS press for 40 years, and some of my Lee dies are 20 years old.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Hmm, I was thinking just reloading just I would say "average ammo" just for range and maybe coming up with a good mix of 7.62x54r for accuracy to practice up on hitting further down range, I am in the process of buying my own land to build a shooting range, out of state CT sucks, and I want to be able to set up a real versatile course and I was just thinking reloading my own would help me keep stocked up and range ready for whenever instead of having to plan a trip to the range. I have never reloaded myself before so I would want to start out just best beginner set up probably start with reloading some Mosin ammo since it is not as readily available as .45acp for me. I can just go to any store around my area where ammo is sold and they have a good stock of .45 but usually never 7.62x54r I have to order it online and the prices greatly vary online as does the stock they have.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

You can certainly save some money reloading but it takes a while to recoup the initial cost of the equipment. I've been reloading all of my 7.62x54r, .45, 9x18 Mak and .30-06 for the past 3 years or so and am probably close to the break even point. I could have started out with a more basic press but grabbed the Dillon 550b as I figured I'd get to the point of wanting a progressive press anyway. I still don't really use it as a full progressive though and have kicked around the idea of a single stage for my rifle loads. It's a good hobby on it's own. I generally load plinking ammo for most of what I shoot which keeps the cost well below commercial ammo and only load higher end stuff for a couple of rifles. Even the plinking ammo though will out perform most commercial since you can customize the load for the firearm.

Just make sure to do some good research before you get started, both on the equipment that you get as well as on reloading fundamentals. You really need to make sure to keep focused on what you're doing so you don't make a mistake that will destroy your firearm or yourself. I've had one .45 ACP round that I made which turned into a squib. It took much longer for me to realize it had happened than it should have and fortunately it kept the next round from chambering. It was totally my fault in my reloading process and somehow that round didn't get a powder load. I am *much* more focused now than before and before I thought I was being pretty meticulous. I keep the squib next to my press as a reminder to take my time and stay focused.

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend getting at least 2 different reloading manuals and reading through their introduction to reloading and going over the minimal gear you'll need to be successful. Lot of really good tips in there and will help you really understand everything that's involved. I enjoy doing it, well except trimming brass. That part I don't enjoy as much but it's part of the package.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Well, thank you for all the information! It is helpful and appreciated, I have been starting to do some research on what I would need to get started, what would you recommend for materials on reloading Mosin rounds? As in the casings, powder, and bullets and primers?
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

jfrink23 wrote:Well, thank you for all the information! It is helpful and appreciated, I have been starting to do some research on what I would need to get started, what would you recommend for materials on reloading Mosin rounds? As in the casings, powder, and bullets and primers?
The main powder I like using is H4895 as it's pretty versatile for all the large caliber rifles I shoot and I get good consistency out of it too. 4350 is good and of course people love Varget as well when it can be found. For brass, I use Prvi as it's pretty durable and inexpensive. You can usually get 100 cases for $50 or so. For commodity bullets I shoot the cheap Prvi, both SPT and HPBT. I can usually find those for around $23 per 100. I'm not too particular on the primers. I've had good success with Winchester, CCI and S&B.

For my PU sniper, it really likes the Hornady 174gr HPBT bullets behind 41.1 grains of H4895. I can get 1" groups pretty regularly with that and have gotten them down to .5" a few times. I also use a Hornady 174gr .308 HPBT for my m28/30 and it loves them. They're not too expensive either.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Oh alright, awesome I will make note of that, where do you usually get all your reloading supplies? online or in store? My best bet would probably be online not many stores near me that have any reloading supplies or equipment. I also read some forums and such where people say to buy commercial grade new ammo like Winchester and etc to get good brass as well is that a good idea?
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

I started out reloading several years ago. I started with the Lee Anniversary Kit, of course it was less expensive then than now. But you get most of what you actually need with the kit for under $200. Then you will need one set of caliber specific dies for each caliber. As for cleaning brass, you can buy a wet tumbler from Harbor Freight for around $30 to $40. I use one and I just use water, Dawn dish soap and Lemishine detergent booster. It only takes a little of the two additives so they go a long way. Then you'll need your components, brass, bullets, primers and powder. After I got familiar with reloading and saved some cash I started buying the other equipment I wanted.
With the Lee Anniversary Kit you'll get a copy of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. It's a reloading manual, I suggest you read and then re-read it before EVER starting to reload. Later you should get at least one other manual. I suggest the current edition of the Lyman manual or the Hornady manual. I have all three, not only do you get great info from each, you'll also find loads in one that aren't in the others so you have some room to be flexible. Above all ALWAYS put safety first. Then have some fun making your own ammo. For me it's a blast. (No pun intended)
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Welcome to the reloading bench. I came up with a low recoil round for Mosins I call the OCA ("Osa", Russian for wasp). It's a 60gr Hornady .32 cal (.311 diameter) XTP loaded over 15.0 grains of Unique, OAL 2.375" with mild crimp. I used PPU once-fired brass and Win WLR (std). It's a nice round that could be suitable for small game at close to medium range. The only drawback is that they will not chamber from the magazine, so single round loading is necessary. Which if at the range or hunting, should be fine, yes? I'm also experimenting with 7.62 x 39-type 123gr bullets and Speer 90gr JHC, will report on those later.

A word on reloading: every new caliber you get will set you back at least $70 or so for dies, shell holders, trimmer parts, etc. After over 57,000 rds I still really enjoy it.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think the price of surplus is still less than reloading, especially because the cases are not easy to find and when you do find them, they are very expensive. I just got tired of thumping my shoulder and anticipating that recoil. I am much happier and more accurate now using my own ammo. I'm not into reloading to save money anyway. I just enjoy it a lot.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026 wrote:I think the price of surplus is still less than reloading, ...
Oh yeah. after you buy all the equipment and factor that in with the new material needed, Surplus kills reloading.

Reloading you have o have a "reason" for doing it.

I want another hobby loading
I want more accuracy at the range
I want a feeling of accomplishment
What ever, but I don't think doing it so it is cheaper to fire is a good one. Not as long as surplus is still available. One day that will change.

I reload because I want to see if I can actually do it!!! I purposely buy firearms like Trapdoors, Sniders, Martinis to see if I can actually build a case from something else. Then I fire a few dozen rounds and I buy another rifle in a different round. I absolutely love black powder cased ammo and building it. Has nothing to do with shooting, or cheaper. But that is just my demented mind. It's a challenge.

I have all the dies for 8mm, Mosin, the Swiss rifles, and about a dozen others. Do I load them ..... hell no. I buy surplus when I want to fire them.

For me (and not for everyone) reloading is almost a separate hobby.

Now there are the guys like Keri P. He was a shooter and a marksman. He reloaded to try and make his rifles more accurate. A totally different animal. He taught me to reload at first. He was matching loads with individual rifles.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:pointup:
I couldn't agree more. I don't know if I'll ever get myself to the marksmanship level of reloading. The range I shoot on is limited to 100 yards and I'm not at the point where I choose one rifle to load for nor do I have the eyesight to even shoot 100 yards adequately without a scope.. I do know people who do this. One person that I have developed a very nice relationship with and who is a preeminent Argentine collector does shoot competitively and pulls our all all the stops with reloading and throat modifications to her 1909's and other Argentine rifles that she and her husband shoot in competition. Pretty impressive, the exacting standards they use.
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

I have been reloading for several years and I still have what I started with, and it works great for me. I bought the Lee 50th anniversary Press Kit. It comes with almost everything you need to get started, all you really need to get besides the kit is a set of dies for each caliber. For the 45 Auto I'd get the Lee 4 die carbide set, it includes the factory crimp die. Some people say you don't need it but I have it for all of my pistol calibers and I love it. For the 7.62x54R I bought the Lee 3 die pacesetter set. With these two sets of dies you have all the dies you need for each caliber. The kit comes with the manual "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition". Whichever way you go as for your equipment, get a manual and read it first thing, then re-read it. Be sure you understand the "how to" before you ever try reloading. I actually have 4 manuals for metalic cartridge reloading, I've read them all at least twice and refer to them often to refresh my understanding.
The Lee 50th anniversary kit is about the most economical you'll find, here is a address to see what it is copy and paste it into your browser, but look around the web for the best price. Above all be safe!

/leeprecision.com/50th-anniversary-breech-lock-challenger-kit.html
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

start with 45 acp, doesn't get any easier to reload. you have been picking up brass as long as you have been shooting? single stage RCBS press. Used Brass. Lead SWC 200 grn. 10 cents. Primers 4 cents a piece. powder 3-4 cents per round. Dies. Caliber. Cleaner. $ 4-5 hundred? $ 200+ per thousand new? Add it up. God Bless America Pro Libertate Patria
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

How do you all feel about these Lee Kits ?

Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I'm not so sure about the Lee Loaders. Although simple to use, they are time consuming. I wouldn't want to load 50-100 rounds with one of these. And, most of all, I'm not real sure about that powder measure. I've experimented with these and you can end up using much more powder than is recommended or safe. For sure inconsistent. If you go this route, go out and purchase a small digital scale. This is the one I use to this day... I started as one of the guys above with the Lee Anniversary set but didn't care much about the scale. I prefer the digital scale.

As indicated above, also read the material in the reloading manuals closely.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

My take on the Lee Loader is a little more favorable possibly because I learned to reload using one in 38 special about 30 plus years ago. I have one for quite a few of the calibers I shoot even though I don't use them. I can knock out a box of 20 plenty fast enough but speed isn't in the plans for me when reloading anyways. The kit has a load card included that is written for the included powder measure, and as many times as I've tried I have never been able to produce a load that was even close to a max load load when using a scale to verify then comparing to regular reloading book data. They tend to be on the milder side but quite accurate. Just my take on the matter, but the idea of reloading without a reloading manual or 3 and a good scale like the digital mentioned above or a decent beam scale should not be done. Scales are plenty affordable and very important. I wish I could find a Lee Loader in 8mm Mauser for my small collection but since they stopped making them in this caliber every time I find one on Ebay the price goes too hi for me.