M27 Without a D Stamp

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TnBuckeye

M27 Without a D Stamp

Post by TnBuckeye »

I recently traded for a 1934 Tikka M27 that does not have a D stamp on it. In the reading I have done, it sounds like this not that common, but also certainly not unheard of either.

I would be curious for the perspectives of those of you who have been doing this for a while how often you have run across this? I have only run across 3 M27s in person in my short time collecting, have acquired all 3, and still have 2/3.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve The Pirate

Re: M27 Without a D Stamp

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Nice Rifle. I've only ran across 1 M27 which I bought . Mine is without the D stamp. Mine won't chamber surplus rounds. Have you checked to see if the rear sight has a D stamp. Sometimes they are stamped. Yours may or not chamber surplus rounds. Post some more pics.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

It will chamber everything I have up to 203 gr SP pretty easily. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Bore is shiny so I am excited to do so! I don't see the D on the rear sight either.

Here are some extra photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Was the SA stamp an F back then? I see the SA now. what is the F? I don't remember seeing a nicer one.
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Alsky

Post by Alsky »

You have a good looking M27 and also a very nice Brown [SA] sling too.
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

steelbuttplate wrote:Was the SA stamp an F back then? I see the SA now. what is the F? I don't remember seeing a nicer one.
F indicates the bore diameter.

Alsky

Post by Alsky »

The letters A , F & D stamped over the chamber areas on the M27 rifles represent chamber characteristics. These letters to not represent a bore diameter. Read through paragraphs 3 , 4 & 5 : http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

So if I read that right, the F will only accept 7.62x53, and the D will use either one?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Alsky wrote:The letters A , F & D stamped over the chamber areas on the M27 rifles represent chamber characteristics. These letters to not represent a bore diameter. Read through paragraphs 3 , 4 & 5 : http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp
Thanks for clearing this up for me Alsky! I could have sworn I read somewhere that the letters related to bore diameters and have read that article a number of times, but should have re-read it and refreshed my memory.

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Two out of five of my M 27s have only the F stamp alone.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Longcolt44 wrote:Two out of five of my M 27s have only the F stamp alone.
Which round(s) do the F stamped shoot?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote:
I read the mosin/Finland and I'm still confused. :whistle:
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

steelbuttplate wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:
I read the mosin/Finland and I'm still confused. :whistle:
I may have a range report late Wednesday. Planning on PPU match and maybe some Brown Bear.

The 203 grain stuff I would only use for hunting and i don't plan to take this one into the woods.

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I own a M/27 with F Stamp and have seen more than a few.

As for ammo I will be told I am wrong by some and they will be correct that bore should be slugged, but I use 7.62x53 in F Stamped and no D Stamped M/28-30 barrels. Everything else I use 7.62x54. Many will say you can use any 7.62x54 ammo in any Finn, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I'd be inclined to work up some handloads after slugging the bore and checking the chamber. Or if factory ammo chambers and fires then use it but less often perhaps. This is a beautiful rifle. Just beautiful. I am like Alsky, I was fixed on that great leather Finn sling! This was a great find.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I have at least one without the D mark and I remember the vkt and 1940 doesn't have the F mark.

If you are worried about shooting it, just go and buy another M27 that has the D stamp. :lol:

Oh, great looking rifle with a sweet sling. :)
Kollaa kestää
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

capt14k wrote:I own a M/27 with F Stamp and have seen more than a few.

As for ammo I will be told I am wrong by some and they will be correct that bore should be slugged, but I use 7.62x53 in F Stamped and no D Stamped M/28-30 barrels. Everything else I use 7.62x54. Many will say you can use any 7.62x54 ammo in any Finn, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

I thought the D stamp was for either, so Finn 7.62x53 or captured Russian both could be used.
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: M27 Without a D Stamp

Post by capt14k »

steelbuttplate wrote:
capt14k wrote:I own a M/27 with F Stamp and have seen more than a few.

I thought the D stamp was for either, so Finn 7.62x53 or captured Russian both could be used.
Correct D Stamped is safe to use anything.

TnBuckeye

M27 Without a D Stamp

Post by TnBuckeye »

Since I started this thread confused (bore diameter and the F) I guess I should continue that theme! If the bore diameters on m27s don't vary, and I (now) believe they don't, and if it will easily chamber various 54r ammo, then what is the danger with firing that ammo? Too much pressure build up? I wouldn't think that would really be an issue either???

I do have another m27 I can shoot and have shot before. And I wasnt really concerned about shooting this one until reading some of this. Not being smart a$$ed just trying to understand??? And I do appreciate the feedback and comments to this point as well!

TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

The brief range report is that it seems to be a shooter. No real surprise given the bore condition. It liked the PPU. Didn't care for the Bear so much, so I stuck with brass.