1955 dated Romanian 91/30

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
racerguy00

1955 dated Romanian 91/30

Post by racerguy00 »

Romanian 91/30s are very uncommon and I had been hoping to find one for quite some time. When a gentleman on facebook mentioned he had one and would consider trading I was thrilled. I was more than a bit concerned to find out the rifle was in a synthetic spotter stock and scoped, then relieved to find he had all the original parts and nothing permanent was done to the rifle. After several months of fits and starts the deal was struck and I'm thrilled to have it.

Romanian 91/30s have a few unusual and unique features. The utilize a trigger similar to a mauser, and have a blade front sight with the base slotted for a hood. Most are in stocks that are made from m44 stocks complete with bayonet groove with a longer forearm spliced on. There is also a plug repair in front of the front action screw that may be from some sort of swivel installation

As far as production numbers, 1000 has been thrown about in various forums but I think the number is much smaller. All I have seen are dated 1955, and have serial numbers with an AC prefix. Also the first number is 5, presumably for the year of 1955. The lowest number I have seen is AC5007, the highest at AC5055. I have uncovered less than ten examples online during my research. Even with such low production there is one minor known variation. The date on most seems almost hand-scribed, but the others have a date stamped in an identical manner as the 1955 date Romanian m44s.

This particular example has the correct stock with matching buttplate, a mag floorplate from rifle #AC5019 which interestingly is featured in another online photo spread. The bolt is a nonmatching Soviet bolt. The bore is well used but decent, and the trigger has a fairly light trigger pull that breaks cleanly after taking up the slack. The toe of the stock had broken and is repaired with dowels and nails. The flakey finish is some sort of varnish or shellac that looks the same as what I've seen on other Romanian mosins.

Thanks for looking.

Discussion Section

Discussion Section
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.