One for Pac!!! Gew 88

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
desdem12

One for Pac!!! Gew 88

Post by desdem12 »

I had some gun funds saved up for the gun show tomorrow but they didn't make it. I blame this on Pacanis :lol: :lol: Also MN fan can share in the blame with that Arms listing site. :lol:
I tried to resist really hard and in the end the gun won. I had three to choose from...This one, M24 romanian contract VZ 24 Or a BO 48 all the same price of $225. I choose the Gew 88 of course and only had $200 in my wallet and he took it. Not sure if it is worth that but it is to me i guess. Seemed fair. It needs some TLC but is in pretty good condition. :biggrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacanis

Re: One for Pac!!! Gew 88

Post by pacanis »

Woo Hoo :clap:
What a sweet price. And it has the quick release sling swivel. And has been rechambered for the newer 8mm Mauser they started using after 1903 (or around there).
Very nice, Des. :toast: I'm happy for you. I'd be happier for me, but you know what I mean :bwink:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I was wondering about that swivel. I will have to check it out better. I think it is technicaly a gew 88/05 and the 05 is the addition of the stripper clip slot on top of the reciever but you would know more. I wasn't sure what these are worth but $200 sounded pretty good so i bought it. Has light rust on it but i have just about got that worked off already. I cleaned her up a little and the bore doesn't look to bad. The old guy said he shot her a few times and he knew alot about it so i am thinking this is a good one. There are a few lined out numbers here and there but son't know if that is a regular thing for these or not. I do like it though. Lots of history all over it. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Very nice :wow: thats an item we do not see much of over here, and for $200 you did well :bwink:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

There are a few rifles that used a quick release rear sling swivel. I've got one on the way to me shortly that still has the quick release attached. A 1938 Turk short rifle. At least it better still be attached, lol.

BTW, you will appreciate this, and any other Mauser groupies.
The LGS just called me to come down. He said someone dropped off a rifle he wanted "fixed" and a good go-over and that he mentioned he might want to sell it... :shock: Well, I made an offer and the LGS ringed him, but the guy changed his mind and said he was in no hurry to sell it. No counter offer or anything. Maybe he wasn't looking to sell it at all, but I got to fondle it for 45 minutes :D
A Prussian 1871 (made in 1873) with absolutely everything matching to the last screw :o :toast: And you would not believe the condition of the bore. It looks like it was never fired, just cleaned. It was beautiful and just the right amount of useage marks on it. God I wanted to bring that thing home tonight, especially when I got into a conversation with the LGS about fixing the rear barrel band spring. I sure hope he doesn't talk the guy into refinishing the whole rifle. He has a different opinion of collecting that I do. Because he's a gunsmith he feel he has the right to bring a milsurp back to unissued condition, right down to steaming the stock to remove dings and dents. :no: That's a conversation for a different thread though.

But aren't Mausers the greatest? :toast:
I need a Gewehr so bad I can taste it! That is one sweet rifle, Des.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That looks like a fine rifle to me.

Pac man, you have been a bad boy. Influncing people to spend their gun show money on old rusty Mausers......

Shame, shame.......

I haven't bought anything since the first of January and all this buying is giving me the big itch.

This site is a just a big ole rusty bucket of misery.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Very nice Brad! Man, that is sweet! I haven't seen one before!

Hey, I seen you trying to sneak a little bit of blame my way :lol:

For what you brought home and what you paid for it, I'd be happy to do it all over again!

Congrats! :toast:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I've been a bad boy?! Moi? :vconfused:
:lol:

I'm still trying to remember who passed the Mauser pipe over to me. Somebody here needs my finger shook at them... and you know who you are :lol:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

BTW, besides a Mauser forum again here, we need a Misappropriation of Funds forum, too. Somewhere where we can discuss the finer points of robbing Peter to pay Paul :thumbsup:

:bwink:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A 1871 sounds like A great rifle. I would love to find some of the older guns. I accidently walked into this one because of the arms list Cliff posted on the regular mosin forum So yes Cliff it is partly yer fault. I had a hard time walking away from the VZ 24 too as that one was on my list for a while now and then to top it off he had a BO 48 the first i have ever seen that i would've loved to have. I guess it is fair Pac as i think i did have a hand in the mauser plugs for you. :lol: :lol: I ain't to sure i can quit the mausers. Technically this is not a mauser though but it is pretty much the same.
:no: :no: YOU GUYS ARE A BAD INFLUENCE ON ME.... :no: :no:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There is a Mauser 1871/84 sitting right behind me hiding behind the Victrola. I still need to put the finishing touches on it's cleanup. True enough they are very nice pieces of work :) That Turk 1888 Commission rifle is pretty nice also, and at a great price. Remember my warning about shooting high pressure 8mm rounds in these. I don't care what the Turks shot in them, that receiver is still a 100+ year old experimental model, made by people who had never made a rifle to shoot smokeless powder before, and barely understood smokeless powder to begin with. Reload with care, and have fun with it. :)
No, The Commission 1888 is not in any way a Mauser, it was the German governments attempt to bypass the Mauser brothers and come up with their own rifle, it didn't last long :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yep i remember about the light loads. When i get ready to shoot it i wil find some loads for it. I need to get the dies for it and some brass. :D
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Wow...congrats on a great rifle! :toast: The GEW 88 is a beautiful rifle. :mrgreen:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Brass is easy, it's 8mm Mauser, Privi has it, dies can be had from Lee, RCBS, and so on. There have been some recent topics about making ammo for these rifles, there is no finding ammo, you are the man who will be making it :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I knew about the ammo already before i bought it and have plans to make it. I may ask for some load info later but i will have to get some dies and brass before i am ready for the load info. I have seen you guys's rifles and have been following the info on these since the old forum. I think it is worth the trouble to do this as the rifle is really nice. I enjoy reloading anyway. As long as there is brass available i will be ok. I have some .323 bullets and the guy told me that is what it used. :D
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.