PPU ammo any good?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
billybob123

PPU ammo any good?

Post by billybob123 »

Looking to try some of the PPU from Cabelas to see if it's more accurate than milsurp, is it any good, what has been your accuracy like?
tjtM38

Re: PPU ammo any good?

Post by tjtM38 »

You bet it's good! I have shot current production PPU in 7.62x54r, 303 British and 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. It is well made, accurate ammunition and the brass is first rate fodder for reloads. I have not tried the 7.62x54r match ammo, but I am guessing it is even better.

Edit: Forgot to mention my experience with handgun PPU ammo. I have shot 7.62x25, 7.65 Browning (.32 ACP), 9x18 Makarov, and 9x19 Luger; all real good.
Last edited by tjtM38 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have had no problems with it and I reload the brass also.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Excellent ammo

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Very good ammo, I keep a good stock of it in all cal. Look farther down the postings and you'll find more information on it here, could be on the second page by now. Check other places for this ammo for better deals than Cabelas. Mine comes from a place close by called Aim Surplus. I don't deal with credit cards so they hold my order until payment arrives then ship. Good people to deal with and they stay in touch by email during the process.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Good stuff and if you shoot milsurps in obsolete military chamberings, they may be your only source for factory loaded ammunition or brass.
mosin2206

Reloading PPU Brass

Post by mosin2206 »

Just reloaded some once fired PPU brass for my M44 And M39(Finn)..shot great out of the M44 but bolt would not close fully when put into M39...The die I used is a 7.62x54R die. Measured length same as surplus ammo.. Will I ever be able to use these reloads in the M39( or do I need to go to a ..308 die for the Finnish rifle.?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Very good stuff... And they offer those hard to come by calibers; And did I mention the fair prices? :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
entropy

Post by entropy »

I have helped Rongo shoot up quite a bit of PPU. It is indeed very good stuff-especially when he pays for it!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
entropy

Re: Reloading PPU Brass

Post by entropy »

mosin2206 wrote:Just reloaded some once fired PPU brass for my M44 And M39(Finn)..shot great out of the M44 but bolt would not close fully when put into M39...The die I used is a 7.62x54R die. Measured length same as surplus ammo.. Will I ever be able to use these reloads in the M39( or do I need to go to a ..308 die for the Finnish rifle.?
Just get a .308 expander for that die.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Not a darn thing wrong with PPU ammo.I even shot a deer about 5 years ago with my SKS using 123gr softpoints.It was a one shot kill at about 70 yards.It did run down hill about 50 yards but then it was game over.

I also shoot it in 6.5 x55, 7.5 x 55, 7.62 x 54r,8mm and 38 S&W.

It's good stuff and I don't reload but have been told that it's pretty good brass. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mosin2206

Re: Reloading PPU Brass

Post by mosin2206 »

entropy wrote:
mosin2206 wrote:Just reloaded some once fired PPU brass for my M44 And M39(Finn)..shot great out of the M44 but bolt would not close fully when put into M39...The die I used is a 7.62x54R die. Measured length same as surplus ammo.. Will I ever be able to use these reloads in the M39( or do I need to go to a ..308 die for the Finnish rifle.?
Just get a .308 expander for that die.
Thanks...so the idea is to expand the case neck to allow the bullet deeper into the case resulting in a shorter overall length bullet? That will allow the bolt to close? This is what the expander does? Thanks for your input
entropy

Post by entropy »

No. 7.62x54R dies usually come with an expander of .310 or .311. Using a .308 expander with allow you to use .308 diameter bullets, which is what the M39 barrels are designed for. I suspect your expander is .311 which would make it harder to close the bolt. When loading for Finnish rifles, it's best to mike and or slug the barrel and use bullets of the measured diameter.

Murphy was an optimist.

capt14k

Re: RE: Re: PPU ammo any good?

Post by capt14k »

entropy wrote:No. 7.62x54R dies usually come with an expander of .310 or .311. Using a .308 expander with allow you to use .308 diameter bullets, which is what the M39 barrels are designed for. I suspect your expander is .311 which would make it harder to close the bolt. When loading for Finnish rifles, it's best to mike and or slug the barrel and use bullets of the measured diameter.
What makes you say the M/39 was designed for .308 bullets? The bores are specified to be .310. My understanding has always been this was done to use Captured Russian Ammo and to get a uniform bore diameter. Barrels meant for M/91 were also used and they are .3095. I've always used standard 7.62x54R in my M/39 and in my M/28-30 which has a .308 bore 7.62x53R because the Lapua is a .308 bullet. The best bullet for a M/39 I would think would be one that is .310 which is what the bore should be.

Of course if one knows what they are doing they should slug the bore.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
entropy

Post by entropy »

<Ed McMahon voice> You are correct, Sir!</Ed McMahon vioice> Yup, the D166 bullet is .310. OK, I amend my answer to use a .310 expander, and Lapua D166 bullets. The downside to this is they are very expensive, $56/100. It is very accurate out of Finn rifles, as the barrels are made for it. As you already know, they will fire most surplus ammo just fine. I found Yugo M30j to be very accurate out of White Horseradish's M39. I still suggest you slug your bore, it might be on the tight side.

I think what I meant to say earlier is that Finns will usually fire .308 diameter bullets more accurately than other Mosins, because of the smaller bore diameter. Using a .308 diameter expander and .308 diameter bullets will greatly increase your number of choices in bullets.

Murphy was an optimist.

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I know the .311 bullets work well in the x54r used in my M39, but I was surprised to see just how well .308 bullets work too. Good news when you think of the options available in .308. Back to the subject of PPU ammo I sure do like it in my 7.62x25 CZ52. It is also reloadable but I could not find my cases yesterday! I think that pistol tossed them into the great beyond. Image
NHFrank

Post by NHFrank »

FWIW - I have had good luck with the PPU 150 gr soft point ammo out of the box, and then reloaded the brass using .311, 150 gr Sierra bullets. Bore of my 90/31 slugged between .312 and .313 groove to groove, the reloads shoot as well as the original PPU, and cost a bit less.
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Yep great ammo. Cabela's has a special right now for 9mm, I think it's 9.99 per box. If I didn't already invest in a good quantity I'd buy a bunch of those. For 7.62 x 54R the brass is strong and reload-worthy with no issues, and it's so inexpensive it's almost like buying empty brass, but with the first shot included free.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Recently, I have been shooting PPU M193 5.56x45 55 grain ball in the AR-15 and it is giving excellent results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.