M38 issued as a sniper's rifle?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Simo

M38 issued as a sniper's rifle?

Post by Simo »

Is there any truth to the M38 being outfitted with optics and issued as a sniper's rifle(carbine)
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
desdem12

Re: M38 issued as a sniper's rifle?

Post by desdem12 »

Not that i have ever heard. The M38 was issued to troops in the back, like tank crews and support groups and such. A carbine as a sniper would not be as acurate as the longer 91/30s. There were pe and pem snipers before the pu's but i have never heard of a sniper M38 that wasn't from the bad hands of bubba. :no: :no:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Not that I have have ever heard of.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Simo

Post by Simo »

If you think about it though, it would have excelled in the battle of Stalingrad and other urban / industrial fields of battle. I think it would suck manipulating a 4 foot long sniper rifle in all of those buildings and tunnels.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They were evidently good at it though. :biggrin: I kinda like the big old girls :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Simo

Post by Simo »

desdem12 wrote:They were evidently good at it though. :biggrin: I kinda like the big old girls :lol:
yeah, there is no denying their damage that is for sure!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I don't think the Red Army war machine ever once considered the concept of "convenience". Simple, rugged, abundance and accuracy was their only plan. A scoped M38 would have made an excellent infantry support rifle in an urban setting. But then so would the 91/30 based snipers, so they made a kabillion of those instead :)

Besides, there were likely 3 or 4 soldiers per rifle at times. Having a carbine versus a long rifle really wouldn't have lightened the load for them.

They did lose the War...all of them. A slightly different philosophy on their part and who knows how history would have been written?
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M38 was conceived as a weapon for RAMF's, junior officers and others who were near enough to the front to require a weapon, but not in enough contact with the enemy to need the full size infantry rifle. Much like the thinking behind our own M1 Carbine. Earlier carbines were made for cavalry, and it wasn't until 1943 that the M44 came along to replace the long 91/30. Even then the USSR never put a scope on the M44, there were enough pu snipers around to fill the need by then.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Then to add to that, Simo Häyhä used iron sights the majority of the time. IIRC The PU Scope is only 3.5 or 4x, so it's not like today's scopes that you can count whiskers or tire treads at 200 yards. :lol: :lol:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

SimonovIsMyHomeboy wrote:Is there any truth to the M38 being outfitted with optics and issued as a sniper's rifle(carbine)
No! Why would they do that when the had millions of 91/30's which shot farther more accurately at a higher muzzle velocity in that configuration already? If you find one be assured it is bogus period! I would say even beyond discussion as it just never would have happend . Bill
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Exactly.
Simo

Post by Simo »

I guess that answers my question and debunks the myth :vcool:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Lord luv a duck that doesn't put us in the "Mythbusters" league does it? :shock: Bill
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

There are examples of them on display in arms museums in Russia. They were evidently made in short order ( no pun intended) and issued by the kgb. Hope this helps ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
CW Spook

Post by CW Spook »

I think the question arises because a few years back, some unscrupulous dealer modified a bunch of M38s by fitting PSO AK scopes to them and trying to pass them off as "Russian Forest Ranger" rifles. There's never been proof that any such thing ever really existed.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Like Gibbs and the No7 jungle carbine they made from Indian 7.62mm Enfields back in the 90's. Always someone trying to turn a fast buck off of bullshit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The fact of the matter on most Russian and com bloc rifles and weapons is while many prototype and one time examples exist in museums. Their issuance to front line or line troops of any kind just did not happen often if ever. There fore they never issued a sniper rifle M38 was why I stated that. Many rifles in museums all over the world exist merely to glorify the country who made them in history and great strides forward in a hard time for the country usually. They really are there to glorify the nationalistic pride of the country and I guess rightly so. Things like the Peterson device in our history are a prime example. Did it ever see service and was it ever issued to field troops? How many examples of the SVT Carbine were issued into the field? All these things represent massive strides forward in technology that really never saw issuance or widespread use and made a difference in a conflict. They might have existed in a very limited amount but they were not issued widely if at all. Bill
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Actually, pedersen devices were issued for a short time to U.S. troops stationed in the Panama canal zone. Same place where they also tested the shortened M1903 rifles. But another good example of museum pieces that never got to front line service was the M1 garand in full auto and modified for the BAR magazine. According to Scott Duff, they were to be used in the invasion of Japan, but the atomic bombs scrapped the project. The few that exist are at the Springfield armory museum.

All kinds of wierd stuff gets experimented with, and if were lucky one or two pieces make it to museums. Generally they get scrapped if not adopted.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper