Gun show

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Gun show

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am off to an out-of-state gun show this morning with a bounce in my step and a jingle in my pocket. My brother and I are going to hit the show then a half-dozen shops. Send me some positive waves......I need a new Finnish Mosin!

Mike, if you are out there, don't forget the Dothan show today!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Re: Gun show

Post by steelbuttplate »

May the Czar's smile upon you in your quest. May you find a 1918 Sestroyetsk Finn capture for $200. :bwink: God Bless the U.S.A. !
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good luck with that in the age of ever higher Finn Mosin prices. Screw the gun shows, around here everything is jacked higher than gunbroker. If I am going to drag my tired ass around all day I would rather hit a museum were I can look at the cool guns without getting sticker shock, and then head off for a good sit down meal at a quality restaurant.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I saw exactly the same number of Mosin-Nagants at the show as chainsaws..... One wartime 91/30 priced at $475.00 and one T-53 priced at $350.00. I later saw the T-53 walking out the door on the shoulder of a happy young man. It was not all for naught though. I picked up a really nice matching '52 Tula refurb SKS for a fair price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Lets see what the Spunkmonkey say bout it Steve. I think of my three countries SKS, The Tula performs best. I still gotta take it and my best Yugo one day and have a shootin match. Nice '52. :thumbsup: :thumbsup Has the Cover got a different coating on it?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The entire gun has an odd finish almost like a black parkerizing. I have had a little while to examine it more closely. It has been shot very little since it was refurbished and is in really nice condition. The bayonet still has some preservative on the blade. (I have learned from Jim to NOT call it cosmoline :) ) The year of manufacture was something the rifle and I have in common. '52 was a good vintage, if I do say so myslef.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice gun. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Does look parkerized. I saw a Tula today priced at $650. Mosin prices weren't too bad but not super either... Must have been 4-5 Krag cut-downs even a bubba'd Mosin M-38 in a sporting stock with no buttplate. Matching '44 (except the no butt plate) and not counterbored. Sad... He wanted $275 for it and I could have got him down lower if only there was a butt plate. Just happen to have a few M-44 stocks laying around...
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Nice! :thumbsup:
Russian SKS is still on my list...my Yugo is fantastic to shoot. But the Russian SKS's are just beautiful to look at. Sounds like a good day. :)

:cry: I got to put another coat of paint on the bathroom. I'd rather watch it dry than put it on the wall. Grrrr..... :very mad:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote:I am off to an out-of-state gun show this morning with a bounce in my step and a jingle in my pocket. My brother and I are going to hit the show then a half-dozen shops. Send me some positive waves......I need a new Finnish Mosin!

Laid up, threw my back out.....So no gun show for this boy :vsad:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:I am off to an out-of-state gun show this morning with a bounce in my step and a jingle in my pocket. My brother and I are going to hit the show then a half-dozen shops. Send me some positive waves......I need a new Finnish Mosin!

You have been having a rough patch, but you didn't miss much Mike. About a third of the tables were empty and most of the rest were cheap knives and even a freaking chainsaw. Not that I feel that a chainsaw isn't a possible close-quarter weapon, I just don't go to the shows for Poulan.....They also raised the admission fee.....
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote:
ffuries wrote:

You have been having a rough patch, but you didn't miss much Mike. About a third of the tables were empty and most of the rest were cheap knives and even a freaking chainsaw. Not that I feel that a chainsaw isn't a possible close-quarter weapon, I just don't go to the shows for Poulan.....They also raised the admission fee.....
Hope this isn't the future of the Dothan show......Find anything on your gun shop runs? Duh didn't see your SKS find, I need to read the whole thread before I post!

I think I'm trying to get all the ailments out of the way at the beginning of the year. The last two months have kicked my ass, I've got more time in bed than walking since 01 Jan.
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Good luck with that in the age of ever higher Finn Mosin prices. Screw the gun shows, around here everything is jacked higher than gunbroker. If I am going to drag my tired ass around all day I would rather hit a museum were I can look at the cool guns without getting sticker shock, and then head off for a good sit down meal at a quality restaurant.

Life outside the occupied zone is very nice JYD, gunshows are excellant for great deals you just gotta try!

Zeebill and i have some of the best times our lives at shows!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

joe7170 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Good luck with that in the age of ever higher Finn Mosin prices. Screw the gun shows, around here everything is jacked higher than gunbroker. If I am going to drag my tired ass around all day I would rather hit a museum were I can look at the cool guns without getting sticker shock, and then head off for a good sit down meal at a quality restaurant.

Life outside the occupied zone is very nice JYD, gunshows are excellant for great deals you just gotta try!

Zeebill and i have some of the best times our lives at shows!
If nothing else you get to listen to and tell magnificent lies; the kind of lies to write home about. I like the back and forth between sellers and buyers and the oddball characters you sometimes meet or overhear. I really enjoy talking to some of the really old men that are cashing out their guns before cashing in. I played hardball with an old guy over a WWII .45 shoulder holster he had for sale then paid him his asking price. (It was a deal for me too) It is also interesting to me how polite people are to each other in gun shows. :)

It doesn't have to end at the show either. After the show my brother and I went to a country buffet for lunch. My brother left a really nice tip and when the waitress picked it up she jokingly asked him if he was married. I replied that the two of us had been married for 30 years. I have never gotten a bigger stink-eye from the grouchy old broad at the cash register who overheard us. We laughed for the next ten miles.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Food, now your talking, I had a burger with fire onions and mushrooms topped with bacon served with fries . Everything is more expensive here, this is one of the most expensive places in the country to live, guns like everything else cost more here.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt