Vietnam Bring Back T-53 w/plaque

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lthilsdorf

Vietnam Bring Back T-53 w/plaque

Post by lthilsdorf »

Just won this on an online auction. I missed out on a papered M44 a few months ago, and knew I wanted a legit Vietnam bring back. This one had a nice plaque on the side that I had seen on many other Vietnam bring back rifle, but no papers unfortunately. The full plaque reads "To Maj Anderson From Dai-Uy HAO 9th Div G-2 Vietnam".

The auction house states it's a 1960 date, which I've heard is very common on these Vietnam bring back Type 53's. Not much else to go on right now until I get it in hand, but the auction house took alot of photos. I paid a bit more than I wanted to, but I think I'll be happy with it overall.

Any thoughts?

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
joe7170

Re: Vietnam Bring Back T-53 w/plaque

Post by joe7170 »

Dai-uy I believe is captain in Vietnamese. Pronounced like Die-Wee
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

joe7170 wrote:Dai-uy I believe is captain in Vietnamese. Pronounced like Die-Wee
From my brief research I gathered the same thing. It's too bad there are no other names than their last. I'd like to find out more about who Major Anderson is.

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool find.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

Looks legit to me. Cool find!

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get it in hand. I had another poster in a forum question the authenticity since it Kate's any full names or dates. I suppose anyone could add a plaque to a 1960 T53 and call it a bring back, but I've seen numerous examples of Vietnam presentation rifles with these plaques. Any thoughts?

Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

lthilsdorf wrote:Thanks guys! I can't wait to get it in hand. I had another poster in a forum question the authenticity since it Kate's any full names or dates. I suppose anyone could add a plaque to a 1960 T53 and call it a bring back, but I've seen numerous examples of Vietnam presentation rifles with these plaques. Any thoughts?

There are a lot of folks who label things fake. I question their own background knowledge. Just looking at the piece tells me it is legit. BTW - The price paid is simply superb, very reasonable if you ask me.

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

Not having proof of authenticity does not mean fake. Unverified is a good term, and people can make up their own minds. Nothing jumps out as being wrong to me. Looks nice and I'd be glad to own it.

Sent from my 502SO using Tapatalk
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

A, little OT but I have a chunk of the Berlin Wall, I got to break it off the wall....No COA like the store bought pieces so is it still real?

Let the jealous naysayers babble all they want looks like you got a hell of a deal!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Some time and effort and you could track down Major Anderson and his service history.

A quick check and I found this info. If he was a captain and got a promotion to Major, he would likely move up to a staff position like G2.

http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipien ... ntid=33861

Cool rifle and i see no reason to assume its no genuine.
Kollaa kestää
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

lthilsdorf wrote:Thanks guys! I can't wait to get it in hand. I had another poster in a forum question the authenticity since it Kate's any full names or dates. I suppose anyone could add a plaque to a 1960 T53 and call it a bring back, but I've seen numerous examples of Vietnam presentation rifles with these plaques. Any thoughts?
I have this underlying feeling of fake everytime I see something like this but then I have no proof it is fake do I. I own and have handled quite a few rifles that fit into this category of say unsubstantiated bring backs and like you I bought one too. It was only $125 so I figured what the heck! It is an ep'd rifle and I checked the names on it and they did exist and were in Vietnam so who really knows? One thing I will warn you of, if it has a blued bolt do not fire it! Mine does and was a dropped rifle with a bad cracked and hard to note bolt. It is believed these were plants to get GI's to fire them and get hurt. I have seen at least 3 so far that were booby trapped in this manner. I had to take the bolt in mine to the metal lab at work to detect the cracks as the blue had disguised them. Sneaky little buggers weren't they? Congrats and enjoy the new rifle for at least what it may be! Bill :D
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Lee-online wrote:Some time and effort and you could track down Major Anderson and his service history.

A quick check and I found this info. If he was a captain and got a promotion to Major, he would likely move up to a staff position like G2.

http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipien ... ntid=33861

Cool rifle and i see no reason to assume its no genuine.
I actually managed to find this gentleman's email and he replied to me this morning. Unfortunately the rifle is not his, but he offered some opinions on it.

"I'm not the Anderson referenced on the plaque, sorry. I suspect that MAJ Anderson was a US Army advisor assigned to the G2 (Intelligence section) of the Vietnamese 9th Infantry Division and the rifle a gift from Dai-Uy, (Captain) Hao that worked on the G2 staff. As an aside, the Vietnamese 9th Infantry Division was located in Can Tho, about 40 miles SSW of the US 9th Infantry Division base in Dong Tam. The Viet Cong also had a well respected 9th Infantry Division that generally operated in the area north of Saigon. Hope this helped."

I had a feeling the 9th Division on the plaque may be a reference to the ARVN 9th Infantry, so it's interesting Mr Anderson had the same thought.