Baker Rifle

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Kern shooter

Baker Rifle

Post by Kern shooter »

Where can one get a reasonable priced reproduction Baker Rifle that can be fired? I did see one Co from Canada selling one, but it's a smooth bore. Also, one from England that is way beyond my price range.
Thanks for any help in advance
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Baker Rifle

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember reading years back that there is a company or maybe individual who will take the smoothbore and make it a rifle . These are reproduced in India at first for the British producers of the Sharpe's rifles series in the early 1990's and now for various buyers around the world. Try contacting-
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MBR.shtml
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
toot

Post by toot »

i have one that i bought from M V T Co. over 10 yrs ago. not a problem one. so it is a smooth bore. with a .600 DIA. RB. and 10 thousands patch and 70 GRS. of 2 FFG ,it is a clover leaf shooter at 50 yards.good enough for me.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

toot wrote:i have one that i bought from M V T Co. over 10 yrs ago. not a problem one. so it is a smooth bore. with a .600 DIA. RB. and 10 thousands patch and 70 GRS. of 2 FFG ,it is a clover leaf shooter at 50 yards.good enough for me.
That is excellent performance from a smoothbore, some people who have never taken the time to learn the art of the smoothbore flintlock like to say such arms couldn't hit a barn at 20 paces. Our ancestors learned their weapons well because their lives depended on them in war and they didn't want to starve to death during the peace. The real Baker rifle is a snipers weapon, it's job is to reach out and touch somebody at long distance and turn their heads into a nasty mess of meat chunks. I am surprised the Italians haven't reproduced it yet, they do plenty of other rifled barrel caplock and flintlock reproductions.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
toot

Post by toot »

junk yard dog, you are so right. all i have hunted with or shot in competition for the last 60+years are FLINCH LOCKS ,ROCK LOCKS, LOL!! so when you focus on only them you get proficient after a while.i do also shoot percussion guns also.
toot

Post by toot »

i also bought one, of many, a BAKER from M.V.T.Co. 18 years ago and never looked back! as said a .610 DIA RB with a 10 thousands DAISY patch in front of 70 grs. of 1fg or 2fg black and at 50 yards it makes clover leafs! not to shaky for an INDIAN MFG. gun!
toot

Post by toot »

let your thoughts be your guide and buy what you can afford and have fun. the clock is ticking on us- it is later than you think. so as I said have fun.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

toot wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:59 am let your thoughts be your guide and buy what you can afford and have fun. the clock is ticking on us- it is later than you think. so as I said have fun.
Oh, I do buy what I want, no adult supervision around here anyway to stop me. Problem comes when you reach the point were you have everything you ever truly wanted, and you just don't give a damn about acquiring more stuff. I have everything I ever wanted on my gun wish list, anything past that is just the hoarding thing kicking in.
Theodore Roosevelt
toot

Post by toot »

get a M.V.T.Co. one and make smoke! you'l have a smile on your face. I guarantee it!.I am going to the range this AM. with mine.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

From what is listed, that's an excellent price.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

MVT's Baker is made in India, and can be credited as the reproduction that started India's now lucrative trade in black powder reproductions. An Indian company was contracted to make the Baker rifles and Bess muskets for the Sharp's rifles UK TV series some years ago. The series sparked demand for these items and they began supplying them to the world, all smoothbore of course. The Baker you are buying today is the same one they made for the TV show. India has been making British design muskets for over two century's, they are at least as good as the originals so far as metallurgy and heat treatment ( if any) go. When you buy from the Spanish, or Italians you are getting state of the art modern steel firearms produced by machines in a 21st century production facility. The price reflects this, and if anything they look too good. The originals were hand fitted, hand made parts, parts interchangeability was achieved only with hand fitting. This is the same thing you will find with the Indian muskets, they do look the part. I have been shooting my MVT Bess for a long time.
Theodore Roosevelt