1954 No.4 Mk.2

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
target

1954 No.4 Mk.2

Post by target »

Just snagged this all matching No.4 Mk2 for 300 bucks. Mint bore on it too. I'm picking up the numbered bayonet to the rifle later this week as well. Between this rifle and the new Lithgow I just got my .303 reserves are depleted!

I admit I'm not too knowledgeable on the Mk2. I understand the reasons for updating the trigger and all that but I have no idea where these rifles ended up. I've seen everything from Ireland to Uganda brought up.

So any information is cool. I'll get more pictures of some markings tomorrow.

This thing is a tack driver with my handloads. If It were not for the one flyer it would have printed a 2 inch group from 100 yards. The flyer brought it out to about 4. Still awesome though.
Sonny

Re: 1954 No.4 Mk.2

Post by Sonny »

Beauty and yes they are accurate.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Northern Ireland is what I was told 25 years ago when they started showing up. This is the same as my 1955 new in the arsenal wrap rifle, the matching bayonet makes me think your rifle was probably another wrapped one that someone took out.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

Very nice find for $300. In my area that's the going rate for any No4 that hasn't been sportered.
target

Post by target »

PF309348-PF359347 was (supposedly) sent to Ireland while mine is in the PF360460-PF381159 (supposedly) Uganda range. Mine was most definitely issued. The bore is mint but the finish is thin in a few places, the battle sight is dented, and the stock is dirty. Still performs better than some new rifles though so the condition doesn't bother me a bit.

Apparently there is a lot of discussion still going on that the Irish may never have even gotten anything near the full order due to cash problems, political problems, and new rifles coming out at the time. Some people are saying the vast majority stayed in UK warehouses while others are saying the Irish war department received all of them then sold all of them to Interarms of Canada in the 1990's.

So... I need to do some more digging!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

nice looker. The post war rifles are in great shape for the most part. There is a list for the pf numbers which I am sure you have but I have not seen a discussion of them being concrete.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
target

Post by target »

Quite a few people have been saying the list is fairly accurate, but yeah it's not agreed upon as being set in stone.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Beautiful rifle at a great price these days. :thumbsup: :vcool:
target

Post by target »

Thanks. I really like it.