New England Westinghouse (Possibly un-issued)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Walt_Mauser

New England Westinghouse (Possibly un-issued)

Post by Walt_Mauser »

Good Day Everyone: Last Friday evening, I finally acquired a New England Westinghouse M91 Mosin Nagant I had been looking for a nice example of one for almost ten years. I'm a little bit of a snob when it comes to collectible, historic firearms, preferring to acquire examples that are original and unmolested, and in excellent, pristine, mint or unissued condition. While I have crossed paths with many NEW's over the years, finding one that met the criteria previously mentioned, with matching numbers, NON "SA" marked, and NON IMPORT MARKED has been a challenge. Anyway, I think I have acquired, what I believe to be, one of the late war or possibly post war manufactured rifles that was produced after the Russian Default and with U.S. Government bailout funding, with both U.S. and Russian inspector or acceptance markings. The serial number is 13398XX. The receiver is the "straight line" version with what some call 2mm lettering. The Russian Eagle bears the diamond on his chest. The stock bears the "English Contract" marking on the left side of the butt and on the bottom of the stock, above and below the the tang screws for the trigger / magazine assembly are the Eagle over "Y1" and Eagle over "Y19" respectively. About 3/4" above the "Y19" marking, (or about 1/4" below the cut out for the trigger guard is what appears to be a very small letter "O" or "Q" but maybe the number "0". I did not see any other marking on the stock, with the exception of a pencil marking inside the barrel channel. At first glance it appears to be the number "99". The character to the left is clearly the number "9"; the number to the right may be a number "9", but if it is, it was made by a different person. It might be the letter "G" The stock and handguard are in outstanding condition with only two minor blemishes on the stock: one being a tiny chip near the butt plate, the size of a match head from a book match; the other being a thin scratch about 5/8 " long on the left side just above the trigger. I believe this particular rifle is one of the rifles sold to the General Public via the DCM for $3.00 back in very early 1920's. All the markings on the metal and furniture are crisp and clear. There are no blemishes on the screws or brass fittings. The screw heads are not buggered up, nor are there any scratch marks surrounding the screws where the screw driver may have slipped off the head of the screw. The same is true regarding the cross bolt, (the one that you use a spanner pliers to remove) and the butt plate. BTW, I should have stated that the receiver, bolt and butt plate are serial number matching. There is no serial number on the mag floor plate. The barrel Shank has a least 5 inspection marks: Eagle over "Y1", etc. The front sight has no drift marks on either side. The rear sight ladder looks like it has never been moved. I do not believe this rifle was ever disassembled after the initial factory assembly. There is the full complement of cosmoline in the barrel. I doubt any was ever removed from the bore. There is still substantial cosmoline on the internal components. It appears that a previous owner, (I do not know the history of the rifle, I purchased it at a public auction), made a token effort at removing the cosmoline from the stock, handguard, exposed metal, and the bolt. There is residual cosmoline on the external stock and handguard and some cosmoline that weeped into the inside of the stock and handguard, and substantial cosmoline inside the magazine well / trigger guard the finger groves, around the barrel band and nose cap areas, and the cleaning rod channel. (BTW: the cleaning rod is original, being 29 inches long with the lines on the top knob being slanted.) There is so much cosmoline in the barrel that I doubt a cartridge could be seated properly in the chamber. Likewise there is still a substantial amount of residual cosmoline in and on the bolt. Apparently enough was removed to cycle the bolt. The bolt face shows no markings or residual powder residue from being fired. It is therefore my conclusion that this particular rifle has not been fired since being sold by the DCM. Since it lacks and handling marks, an import stamp, unit markings, etc., I believe it to be an unissued rifle. I've attached pictures of various markings. I'll attach more pictures after I clean it up and reassemble the rifle.

(Someone please instruct me as how to add pictures to this or future post. Is there an attach button somewhere that will allow me to select pictures from my stored downloads? Thanks.)

"If a man's character is unknown, judge him by the company he keeps!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lthilsdorf

Re: New England Westinghouse (Possibly un-issued)

Post by lthilsdorf »

Wow that's a wonderful example! I think your patience has paid off ten-fold! Looking forward to seeing more photos when it's back together. How did you come across this rifle?
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Walt_Mauser

Post by Walt_Mauser »

It was at a public auction In Maryland. It was a two day gun auction with 300 plus firearms being sold on the second day. The first day was all magazines, bayonets, ammo, etch. They, (the auction company personal), were certainly nice people and easy to work with, but I think this particular rifle would have been better served in one of the premier national auctions houses, (with a color catalog and international bidders), with a much more detailed description of the historic significance, and rarity of this rifle. (So I got lucky!)
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Looks great so far. If you got this at a public auction, and there weren't many knowledgeable people at that auction, I'd guess you bought this for a fraction of what this would cost in the market. Congratulations. :thumbsup:
Mosin Fanboy
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Awesome rifle. Waiting for more pics. :pop:
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Nice
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
dou44

Post by dou44 »

great find
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

Beautiful rifle!

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Can I assume it was less than $5,200? Very nice rifle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
B24

Post by B24 »

I hope I look that good when I'm a 100. ;mywink;
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Motion to put this one in the showcase. Very nice!!!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

RazorBurn wrote:Motion to put this one in the showcase. Very nice!!!
I agree; that one is very special. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

capt14k wrote:Can I assume it was less than $5,200? Very nice rifle.

He's selling it for that over in the for sales section and hopes that price won't raise any hackles. Ha, as if, there are rifles in my collection that aren't for sale unless someone walks in here with ten times their market value and some not even then. I ain't broke, not dying any faster than the rest of you, no sick kids or wife dragging me to divorce court so good luck getting me to part with stuff I like when I don't want to. I have had offers of three grand or more for my original Winchester trench gun, ten grand it's not for sale, fifteen, I don't care, it's not for sale. Personally I think it's a huge mistake to sell this Westinghouse at that price or more, you may never see the like of it again. Broke, dying, sick kid, blood sucking divorce lawyers OK, but otherwise I would find another way to get the cash. It's a collector thing, that's the difference between dealers, investors and real collectors. The first two are in it for the cash, forget about them, the first is as necessary to a collector as a drug pusher is to a crackhead. The second is beneath contempt, all they do is drive up market prices for the real collectors, they care nothing for the milsurps except how much money they can wring out of them. The collector is about the history of the milsurps, we want to own a small piece of major historical events, for that we can and will spend whatever we have to in order to get it, and once we own it who gives a shit what it's worth in five years.

I've done it, more than once, if it was something I wanted bad enough, something that spoke to me, I forked over the cash even if I knew I was overpaying because I am not buying with an eye to making a profit one day. Nice if that happens but immaterial to the items historical value.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: New England Westinghouse (Possibly un-issued)

Post by capt14k »

It isn't this one for sale. I also understand what you are saying JYD but when someone lists something for sale it is different than someone being offered money for something that isn't for sale. The person listing it wants to sell it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yea, two clean NEW's like that are rare to see at one time on the board, I confused them. No matter, having to sell is an evil necessity sometimes, but always regretted later especially when done to fund another purchase that is not essential to preservation of life, sustaining life, or maintaining freedom.

Of course now if the OP paid $400 for his NEW at some little auction after reading this and seeing what they go for he will be doing a happy dance for a couple of hours.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Rofl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What can I say? Oh my sides hurt! Bill :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

zeebill wrote:

Rofl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What can I say? Oh my sides hurt! Bill :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:pointup: Same thing that popped up in my mind...
Walt_Mauser

Post by Walt_Mauser »

For clarification purpose, or to clear up confusion: The NEW rifle I purchased on Friday, 2/3/17 at auction, is not for sale! I've been receiving hackles about a $5200 sale price. There must be another thread or post titled the same as mine: "New England Westinghouse, (possibly un-issued)", in which the author is offering his rifle for sale. Please differentiate my rifle from his. I collect. I'm not a dealer! It took me ten years to find this rifle. The only way I would ever part with this rifle, (note: I didn't say sell, as I may give it away), is if, and when, I acquire a finer example! (Not very likely in the remainder of my life!)

"I spent most of my money or women, alcohol and drugs. The rest I just wasted!"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I confused it with another here on the board that is for sale. Great to hear that you are open to the idea of giving it away, I stand ready to receive it at anytime :) Don't worry about Bill and Joe, they aren't making fun of you, when the one they are making fun of finds out about it I am sure she will smack them upside the head.
Theodore Roosevelt
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Showcase?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy