Plumb wore out

Rim Fire Firearms
steelbuttplate

Plumb wore out

Post by steelbuttplate »

Hey guys Merry Christmas. My son has an old family .22 Stevens, tube fed bolt action, the chamber is worn so bad the cases are splitting and won't eject. My question is could a gunsmith make a .22 WMR out of this? Even a sinsle shot would be something useable. Whatcha think?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Plumb wore out

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Stevens made huge numbers of .22 rifles for many years, call Numrich Arms and see if they have a good barrel hanging around and swap it for the worn one. I must have five or six Stevens .22 myself, and they made some for Sears JC Higgins.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

It can be done. I actually have a Daisy Legacy single shot .22 rifle that a neighbor brought me to take a look at as it wouldn't fire 99 times out of 100 and the one time that it did it wouldn't extract the shell. Someone had reamed it out for .22 Magnum but didn't do any of the other work needed to finish it up. It had been dry-fired so much that the firing pin was mushroomed flat. He told me to just keep it as no parts are available for those, later on I tore it down and made the necessary machine work on the firing pin and took a swipe or two off the tip of the extractor and it works fine. Some shells are a bit tight in the bolt recess and require a little extra nudge to lock the bolt down, but not enough for me to bother adjusting it further. Still won't eject the shell as the plastic "nub" that is supposed to kick it out is completely broken off and I haven't had time to mill a replacement block out of aluminum. It's actually very accurate, due to the very slightly larger bullet used in the .22WMR, although I shoot mostly .22WRF through it as I snagged a bunch of it awhile back during the shortage. Gander Mountain had tons of it on the shelf and I guess not many knew that it could be fired in .22WMR chambered firearms.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Working perfectly, it is probably worth $125. I would retire it to the parts bin. Then take the $125 and buy another one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote:Working perfectly, it is probably worth $125. I would retire it to the parts bin. Then take the $125 and buy another one.
Preservation Man..... :vcool: It's a fine 80 year bore
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote:
millman wrote:Working perfectly, it is probably worth $125. I would retire it to the parts bin. Then take the $125 and buy another one.
Preservation Man..... :vcool: It's a fine 80 year bore
ROI Man.(Return on investment ) It makes NO sense to spend more on a fix than it costs to buy a much better specimen. You might twist the logic on a rare milsurp, but not on a common commercial sporter.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If it has sentimental value then retire it to the wall, don't go altering it. As I said earlier, Stevens .22's are available and inexpensive, they are the most commonly encountered of all .22's in my travels.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

How many 22's have you seen with a worn out chamber? Are you sure it isn't already a 22 magnum? Just thinking out loud.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

bunkysdad wrote:How many 22's have you seen with a worn out chamber? Are you sure it isn't already a 22 magnum? Just thinking out loud.
I'll know tommorow. You may be right on., I hope. It runs unfired ammo thru it like a swiss watch. They guy that owned this was a dentist, hunter, shooter, that hung out with L.E.O & all the men in town that traded and worked on guns etc. Would a bolt for a L.R. work on a Magnum round?
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Yep. The underside of the extractor has to be filed a tiny bit, but if it was worn it would probably work as it was.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Oh well, it is wore out. First I've seen, I never really thought about it til you stated it, but it's not chambered for Magnum. Now, Question for gunsmiths, How big a deal would it be to drill out the chamber with the bolt removed, to .22 mag specs.? It should make a great single shot.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

It doesn't take much, but you need to use a chamber reamer, not a drill.