Decent ammo for my 91/30?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
44Nagant

Decent ammo for my 91/30?

Post by 44Nagant »

What's some good brass ammo for my 91/30? I don't want to use the Tulammo or Wolf if possible. Would like to hear personal experiences also. Thanks in advance, TW.
"Never miss a chance to shut up!" The late Judge Roy Bean
tjtM38

Re: Decent ammo for my 91/30?

Post by tjtM38 »

Privi Partisan is good brass-cased ammo. Most internet sights seem to sell it around the $13-15 range for a box of 20. It is excellent brass for reloading. Although it is steel case ammo, I could also highly recommend Brown Bear (Barnaul) FMJ or soft point. It is not reloadable, but slightly cheaper if you shop around.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Do you live near a Cabela's? They have Prvi Partisan too. You must be a reloader. Otherwise the steel case stuff should be fine seeing that it was designed around steel case ammo. I like the smoother cycling and ejecting of brass case however.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

All the more modern milsurp 70's 80's is copper washed or poly steel case. Russian, Chinese, plenty of other Euro. The're not concerned about using it so I'm not either. I get good performance out of Silver bear zinc coated , have shot around 1200 rounds of it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
44Nagant

Post by 44Nagant »

Thanks for the replies! I'm not a reloader but, was wanting to stick with brass. I have heard that the Wolf and Tulammo were corrosive and caused issues in some firearms.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It all works, and I used it all in every type of Mosin, just remember to wash the salts out of the bore after shooting military surplus ammo before you do your regular cleaning regimen. A simple cup or two of hot water poured down the pipe and over the bolt head and mag follower should get it done. The nicest stuff was the Yugo brass case, what is now Privi, that shit was corrosive but commercial grade ammo , long shelf life and high quality all in the same package.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
B24

Post by B24 »

I've never had any problems with corrosion with Wolf or Tula. It's not the cleanest burning
stuff. Treat all ammo as corrosive and you will never have a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I tell them that, treat all ammo from the former commie countries as corrosive no matter what it said on the box, I trust none of them. That shit looks pretty much like the military surplus stuff, mix them up by accident some day and don't clean for salts and then you have a rusty piece of shit instead of a rifle. Winchester, Remington, Federal, these names I trust, I cast a jaundiced eye on all the rest.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I like Academy's Monarch ammo
44Nagant

Post by 44Nagant »

I'm going to give the Prvi Partisan 150gr a try and see how that works out. Also looking at the Sellier and Bellot as I've heard good things on it.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Save your brass, if you don't end up reloading for it, they're money in the bank.
44Nagant

Post by 44Nagant »

Will do, and if I don't reload it, I'll help out someone on the forum. :-)
Bleipzig

Re: RE: Re: Decent ammo for my 91/30?

Post by Bleipzig »

44Nagant wrote:Thanks for the replies! I'm not a reloader but, was wanting to stick with brass. I have heard that the Wolf and Tulammo were corrosive and caused issues in some firearms.
This is incorrect, not corrosive. Mil-surp IS corrosive

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Westy

Post by Westy »

Sellier Bellot also make nice brass cased ammo should you get it over there.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
44Nagant

Post by 44Nagant »

Thanks Westy, see post #11. :-)
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I use to shoot TulAmmo before getting over my fears of surplus. It's not corrosive.
44Nagant

Post by 44Nagant »

Thanks, I'll give it a try for plinking but, am probably going to stick with brass for more serious shooting.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

For me the most decent Mosin-Nagant ammo is the cheapest surplus I can buy. The cheaper it is, the more of it I can shoot. I am no precision marksman, so I don't have a problem with the ammo not being accurate enough. (although maybe I could blame shitty shooting on surplus ammo) Steel cases and corrosive ammo is nearly all I have shot. (and I have shot a hell of a lot of it) I am meticulous about cleaning firearms after shooting so I have done no harm to my rifles.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
44Nagant

Post by 44Nagant »

I just ordered up some Prvi Partizan 182gr FMJBT Match for $14.99 a box. Got myself 100rds to try.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I tell them that, treat all ammo from the former commie countries as corrosive no matter what it said on the box, I trust none of them. That shit looks pretty much like the military surplus stuff, mix them up by accident some day and don't clean for salts and then you have a rusty piece of shit instead of a rifle. Winchester, Remington, Federal, these names I trust, I cast a jaundiced eye on all the rest.
A friend has an otherwise Browning BLR with a barrel that is toast. He fired some Chinese ammo marked 'non-corrosive' and did not clean properly. .