Ed Harris's "The Load" your exp.

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
thumbs

Ed Harris's "The Load" your exp.

Post by thumbs »

I would like to hear your exp with "The Load" for the 7.62x54R. I read the article

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/vi ... orum_id=22

and find it very interesting. I've been reading the this load can be reduced to 7 or so grains depending on the type of bullet and weight. This would be a great way to be able to shoot my m44 more often with much greater economy, accuracy and less recoil, so the article says. Those that have tried "The Load" what is your exp? I would like to start using 173r cast.

thanks for the help
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ed Harris's "The Load" your exp.

Post by bunkysdad »

I really can't imagine dropping below the 13 grains of Red Dot. It it already a very mild load. I don't know how well a charge as low as 7 gr would burn with so much free room in the case, but would at least look into using a poly filler over the powder to keep that powder close to the primer.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

bunkysdad wrote:I really can't imagine dropping below the 13 grains of Red Dot. It it already a very mild load. I don't know how well a charge as low as 7 gr would burn with so much free room in the case, but would at least look into using a poly filler over the powder to keep that powder close to the primer.
Yeah thanks. Pretty much my concern also. I'm not doing anything until I do more research. I know the write up said cast or jacketed but am afraid the it may be to hot a load for cast. I will probably use Hi-Tek coated bullets. The guy at Missouri Bullet pointed me to the article and said the Hi=Tek bullets can be pushed pretty fast but Idon. I was playin around a bit and put 8gr of Red Dot in a 7.62x54r case and it appeared to fill only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the case. Harris said not to use fillers. Oh well I'll keep listening.

thanks
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

With 13 grains and a cast bullet I have never used a filler. I have read of others that have used pistol bullets in 30 cal. They would make a good 50 yd target round and maybe even 100 yards.
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

I have used the 13gr of RD in my 91/30 with standard 174gr, not cast bullets. The recoil was ~ like a .22 and the accuracy was satisfactory.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

In the next day or so I plan to reload using "The Load" using Red Dot. I plan to use 174gr cast with Hi-Tek coating. What would be the best OAL of this cartridge? I know it varies but where is a good starting point?

thanks
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

I use several variations of "the load". First one I tried was 5gr of 700X and a 93 gr WW LEE bullet in 30-30 94's. Love that load. Pretty much good for...not much, but fun to shoot. I use 10ish gr of Unique under a 155 gr LEE bullet in .308, and much the same in a .312 160 gr LEE in .303 British. I have loaded various other light rifle loads in different calibers. The 10-10.5 in a .308 Israeli Mauser is amazingly accurate. I've only ever used cast bullets.

Flake powder such as 700X, Unique, etc. are best. They burn fast and seem to ignite easily. I have never used filler, and use whatever primers I have on the shelf. The little loads for the 30-30 only require priming, powder, seat the bullet and a wee bit of a crimp. I hardly need to resize even the necks. Those loads I shoot at our indoor range.
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
dfrak

Post by dfrak »

I've done a fair amount of experimenting with reduced recoil loads using a variety of powder, bullet and rifle cartridge combinations, including "The Load" and some of the variations.
A couple good powders to experiment with are H4895 and Trail Boss. Hodgdon has a couple of PDF files that give some pretty clear instructions on using those powders. The files can be found at http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloadi ... coil-loads

Dan
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

I have used it and it shoots rather well in my 91/30. I use Hornady bullets.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I've used 16 gr of Alliant 2400 in quite a few rifles with good success. Not position sensitive and I've never messed with fillers. Just be damn sure you don't double charge or you and your rifle will have a bad day. I've tried Unique and SR4759 with some cast loads, but I've had the most accuracy with #2400. The SR4759 is close though.

I have not tried Trail Boss, but that would be the safest powder to use. No chance of double charging a case.