Discussion on a Yugo 98/48

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SSGTSemperFi

Discussion on a Yugo 98/48

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

So, long story short, my cousin has known for years that i've been in want of a 98k. From about the age of 10, i've said that i'd own one some day.

So, in combination of "payment" for the work i've put in towards in helping him build an add on to his house, and as a combo christmas/birthday present, He notified me that he has purchased a 98/48 with the intention of transferring it to my name.
The exact one, being this one. Now, i'm so totally not going to be one to say "no" to this, for all intents and purposes, it's ergonomically and visually identical to a 98k (seeing as it once was one), which is why I love them so much.

I've come here to discuss a few things about it though.
First and foremost, the price on her, how do you feel she's running as compared to market "average"? [$379 after shipping]

Second, i've never owned a rifle with a pitted barrel. This one is described as having a moderately etchy grooved barrel, aside from regular cleanings (same as my mosin, i'll be shooting corrosive - Turkish milsurp to be exact) are there any concerns I should have about going above and beyond?

Third, the barrelled action. So far as i've been able to discover, these were rebarreled. I know bolt actions generally tend to be fairly strong, and have strong lockup (the Mauser design in particular), but Turkish milsurp being notoriously stout, is this something I should be concerning myself with? I don't know much on the Yugo captures (been researching them since yesterday - when he told me), but what i've read is that Zastava seem to be top notch, is this correct?

And lastly, would a .30 cleaning kit/patches be appropriate for her, or is there something that would be slightly more appropriate? [seeing as effectively, she's a .32 cal]

Any insight is appreciated, i'm a total newbie when it comes to German and /or Yugo milsurps!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Discussion on a Yugo 98/48

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Turkish Mauser is no more or less than any other Mauser 1893-1898, or some of the more oddball Turkish creations. They all function the same, come apart the same, that M48 is a typical K98k type rifle, post WW2 production, no reason it should have been rebarreled, probably wasn't, not if the barrel has a bit of pitting. Don't worry about pitting, it's normal in any milsurp that fired corrosive primed ammo. Flush hot water down the barrel before normal cleaning to remove the salts and you will have no problems if you shoot corrosive primed ammo in it. A worn crown will impact accuracy, so will bad headspace or excessive throat erosion, a little pitting will pass without notice and bother nothing. I have no idea what these sell for now, but inexpensive and Mauser are rarely found in the same sentence. The 1898 Mauser action is one of the strongest ever made, it has been copied by countless commercial rifle makers for sporting rifles chambering everything from .22 lr to heavy magnum calibers. The Yugoslavian produced Mauser is a good quality rifle, well made and an equal to anything the Germans made during the Nazi era. In fact that Yugo factory was making this rifle for the Germans during the war, not voluntarily of course.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now I can see the pictures, bit of a parts mixer, that bore looks perfectly fine, nice looking rifle.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Balls Mauser book (page 316-317 4th ed.) says it is a Yugo model 1948 98k short rifle. Good rifle, and there should be no ammo concerns. Shoot it and enjoy it. It doesn't appear to be a 98/48 which were reworked German rifles.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

There are 8mm specific bore snakes, brushes, etc. Use them .30 is too small. Get an original cleaning kit. They are relatively cheap even for the German ones

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I use .38 special bore brushes in the 8mm Mauser.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Discussion on a Yugo 98/48

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I use .38 special bore brushes in the 8mm Mauser.
The bore brush in .38 will work, but you wouldn't be able to use a .38 brass jag. Even a .32 is too large, but it is the closest common caliber and will usually work. 7mm and 8mm Mauser I shoot often so I bought cleaning items specific for them.

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The jag depends on the thickness of the patch you use, because it is a solid unyielding item. For brushes, .32-.50 will work fine.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have an entire set of brass jag's, I think I am using something in the 6mm range, one of the smaller ones at any rate. I use thick patches so smaller jag is necessary.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Discussion on a Yugo 98/48

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have an entire set of brass jag's, I think I am using something in the 6mm range, one of the smaller ones at any rate. I use thick patches so smaller jag is necessary.
I bought a complete set about six months ago and what a difference it makes in cleaning. Especially when you have many different calibers. I also just spent the extra money on the 100% cotton patches and I find them to be much better for the bore. However the are no good for wiping down other parts. The sharp edges tear them up. The best investment of them all though was the 40" long carbon fiber cleaning rods.

SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

Apologies that it's taken me some time to get back to y'all, been swamped with life.
I went off and picked up an original post-war German "tobacco can" cleaning kit for her just a few minutes ago.
When it comes to cleaning kits, the only thing I currently own is a 7.62 set, .223 set, and a .45 set (albeit in pistol length :P). All three their own enclosed kits, been holding off investing in a true universal kit.

@Junk Yard Dog, was definitely my assumption that she was a parts baby, while it's always nice to have matching serials, so long as it functions well, i'll save the premium every single time :P. I got somewhat lucky with my 91/30, she's completely matching except for the buttplate, and she ran a bit cheaper than the other three in-shop as she was the most slathered in cosmoline.

@millman,what makes you believe that it's not a 98/48? Just curious as, from what the pictures provide to me it seems like it, at least at one point in its life, was, or was intended to be part of the Nazi war machine. Then again, I don't know a whole lot of background on this rifle, or 98K's in general, but I do like learning the history behind the designation.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

There is no /48 stamped after the Mod98.The German ones, according to Ball's book were refurbed in 1948 and got the /48 added then. The actual teller is to measure the receiver. Go to this link.http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/ ... rence.html I think you have a #4. If it is a German rework, it will be a #5. Also there are 2 98/48s marked 98/48 on GB right now priced at $600. The relative bargain price of yours makes me think the sellers weren't completely convinced of what they had. I don't mean to knock it, and I hope I am mistaken. At the price paid it was a fine deal either way.

C. S. Lewis
SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

I'll certainly have to give her a measure when I get her in (the 10-day waiting period hasn't even begun for him yet, it hasn't shipped out, then i've got another 10 days to transfer it to my name.... California, right?)

Again, i'm completely new to these things, but I came across it somewhere that the /48 stamp didn't begin until 1950. if I can find it again, i'll be sure to send it your way.

When it comes to what it really is, to me, it's really not going to make or break it. So long as she works, the ergonomics of the 98k fit me like a custom-tailored glove so either way she will be a pleasure to shoot.
When I asked about price, I just wanted to make sure he hadn't purchased some junker with a steep price tag because it had the term "waffen" somewhere in it. [reference: Mitchell's Mausers and the death's head stamp kerfuffle that may or may not be true]
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

so that's the one I have. Always wondered. Its been bubbed with scope tappings and scrubbed with no crest. Appears to be very faint Waffenmarks but extremely hard to tell. Just tiny indentations. I only paid $150 so its a shooter. Also have a nice clean M48A for only $200 with 500+ rounds.
also the bolt is non matching.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Detour Rd. wrote:so that's the one I have. Always wondered. Its been bubbed with scope tappings and scrubbed with no crest. Appears to be very faint Waffenmarks but extremely hard to tell. Just tiny indentations. I only paid $150 so its a shooter. Also have a nice clean M48A for only $200 with 500+ rounds.
also the bolt is non matching.
See if the bolt will interchange with the M48a.

C. S. Lewis
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

The M48A bolt is shorter.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Then the op's rifle must be of German origin. Ball's Mauser book is a little fuzzy describing these.

C. S. Lewis
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

I always thought it was.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Detour Rd. wrote:I always thought it was.
Of German origin? Or Balls book is fuzzy? I agree on both counts.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks good to me. There are several versions of 98/48s and some of the "captured" get lumped in as well. Definitely in k98 former as for stock and not a m48. Price is very fair

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)