M1 Garand Main Spring

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Rowdy1

M1 Garand Main Spring

Post by Rowdy1 »

Just took apart my first M1 and getting the main spring to compress to get out and the reverse of getting it back in was a real bitch. I have an issue with my hands. I have almost no feeling in either one due to an injury when I served. Is there a tool or trick to help compress that spring to disassemble and reassemble?
JER

Re: M1 Garand Main Spring

Post by JER »

You are supposed to grab the Follower Rod near it's "fork", and pull it towards the muzzle end. This will disengage the Rod and release the Main Spring. A pair of needle nose pliers with some electrical tape on the teeth to prevent marring would make that job somewhat easier.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

JER wrote:You are supposed to grab the Follower Rod near it's "fork", and pull it towards the muzzle end. This will disengage the Rod and release the Main Spring. A pair of needle nose pliers with some electrical tape on the teeth to prevent marring would make that job somewhat easier.
This is solid advice. I just use my hands, but taped up pliers would work fine. Here's a link to some good directions by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. It also has links on the left side for field and detail stripping the Garand, and it's very good information.

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/str ... feed2.html
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Uncle Nubbington

Post by Uncle Nubbington »

I've had difficulty with this as well. I'm missing the top halves of my index and middle fingers. After field stripping, I grease that follower and spring pretty liberally. Top marks to using pliers to reset that thing. Only thing I'd add is I choose my slotted channel lock pliers so it grabs the follower evenly. I can usually get a better grip on it that way. Needle-nose pinches it more at the edge closest to the hinge on the pliers.
I've thought of making a little forked tool that could catch the coils of the spring where it sits over the follower but pliers seem to work just fine.
JER

Post by JER »

Right on, man, right on. I rejoice daily, that, after 33 years in the job I had, I have all my fingers and toes. Slip-joint pliers are great. I wrote my reply based on what I thought would be best, not, by the grace of God, what I had to deal with...
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My hand issue is no strength in my hand or feeling in most of my fingers. I can only hold 3-4 lbs in my left hand. Embarrassing when your little grand daughter is stronger than I am. Only fortunate thing is I shoot left handed. I couldn't hold a rifle in my left hand to shoot if I was a right handed shooter.