Savage No 4 MKI US Property Marked

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Burrhead

Savage No 4 MKI US Property Marked

Post by Burrhead »

I found this on line tonight with an asking price of $349. Now I now I've been lusting about the S&W 500 I posted about but I don't have a No 4 MKI in my British battery and this looks pretty good to me. So what do you guys think should I see if the Boss would tie this to me as an anniversary / Valentines day surprise. :mrgreen:
After all I have been pretty good this year. :clap:
Besides this is a heck of a lot cheaper than the S&W.
Burrhead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Re: Savage No 4 MKI US Property Marked

Post by desdem12 »

I like it. Has a nice stock. Better take it home. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That looks like a new stock, nice price for a US made Enfield :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

Ya that is kind of what I thought too. If it still there this week-end I'll have to look at it and see what I can work out. So much for a 500 this is more my cup of tea and I think the Boss will be receptive to this.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

That's a sweet Enfield. If I was in your shoes, I would have to get it.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Maybe you should buy it for her...just in case :mrgreen:

It looks sweet! Go for it :toast:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Burrhead, you are reloader and these are outstanding rifles for reloaders, because factory ammo is expensive, and surplus is hard to find. And best of all, these soot as good as they look! Hope you get it.mayve you can find a used Smith 500 someday and get a good deal. :thumbsup:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Of course there is always that great Pakastani ammo around, the 60's dated POF stamped stuff :) click.........boom
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I hope to go and look at this tomorrow if all goes as planned, I won't buy it out right but pay down on it if I buy it. either way I'll post back about it here this week-end. It would look good with my other four SMLE's I have. Heck I have only shot the No 5 twice and the no 1 only once sense I got them. But would like a No 4 Mk I for my collection. :British:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No rule says you have to shoot them all :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I like that one. Damn I hope you all don't get me interested in these too. I'm going to have to get a second job. Or sell the kids to Mexican cartels. Oh wait I could just trade them for guns. :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We are going to do everything possible to get you interested in Enfields and even rifles you have never heard of yet. Did you know the Enfield bolt cocks on closing rather than on opening like the Mosin and Mauser? This makes it one of the fastest actions ever used in a bolt rifle, it has a ten round magazine also. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I'm pretty sure my Swedish Mauser cocks on closing.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You right, got it backwards, Enfield cocks on opening not closing, closing is the Mauser and most all the rest. Cocks on closing is slower.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That little extra shove you have to give the bolt to compress the spring sure seems like it would be awkward for rapid fire. I kind of like it when I'm just taking my time plinking.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The British wanted to put a lot of lead in the air very quickly, they achieved this a few years after the Enfield was designed by adopting the Maxim gun. The early rifles had volley sights so they could pour massed rifle fire down on some enemy behind a hill 2000 yards away. That was fairly short lived. Were the extra fire power made a difference was in the trenches, when the enemy went over the top you poured it into them, that ten rounds with rapid fire counted then.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

You cant go wrong with a good Lee-Enfield...welcome to a brand new addiction. These rifles ooze history and a Savage Arms is a must, at least that's my opinion.

ok...now you guys have me confused though...I thought the Lee-Enfields and the M1917 cocked on closing and the other bolt action rifles cocked on opening which is why it is harder to push forward and closed.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I know for a fact my M96 cocks on closing, I was just shooting it recently.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

This cock on closing thing is a British thing, all my SMLE's do it as well as my Pattern 1914 and 1917. The Brits seem to consider it a additional safety thing. But the "Mad Minute" thing is a surprising thing as I don't think the cock on closing thing is an advantage for this I give the 10 round capacity the credit for that ability. All I know is the Limies could sure put a lot of lead down range with the SMLES.