AO M1 Carbine or Rugar M14 Ranch Hand?

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
JTheBigJay

AO M1 Carbine or Rugar M14 Ranch Hand?

Post by JTheBigJay »

Any thoughts?

The prices are about the same, $500ish, for either gun so i'm just down to looks and caliber at this point.

.223 seems a little cheaper then .30. Hows the performance?

I've played around with a M14 in the past but never a M1.

Is there any experience with either gun that i might consider when looking to gather one up?

JRH
BlakeM44

Re: AO M1 Carbine or Rugar M14 Ranch Hand?

Post by BlakeM44 »

There's a lot of stuff you can modify on a Mini 14. Plus there's a wider variety of ammo.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
~Thomas Jefferson
BlakeM44

Post by BlakeM44 »

There's a lot of stuff you can modify on a Mini 14. Plus there's a wider variety of ammo.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
~Thomas Jefferson
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

M1 Carbine, it's a milsurp unless you buy a commercial copy, it's easy and cheap to reload for, spare parts are both cheap and available. It's combat proven, and just handles so nicely, as well as being light to hump around.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Uh ..Both? I also think M1 carbine but the rugers are nice. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
target

Post by target »

This is one of those rare times where I will cast a vote for Ruger. I would get the Mini if I was planning on a ranch rifle, wide variety of cheap .223 you can run in em and they have a warranty. Lots of after market stuff can be done to em too.

I don't know if they ever fixed the barrel whipping thing but over all I think that would be the better ranch gun. The M1 carbine is a good ranch gun too, but if you aint set up to reload for it... it's not cheap.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I'd have to go with the Ruger. Only because I wouldn't want the commercial version of the carbine. Although I'd like to have both if the carbine was an older one.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some commercial copys of the carbine are better than others, unless you know how to spot the better ones it's best to go with an original.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

Both would be my preferred choice but not recommended by the wife.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll stick to the MIni. Always loved that thing, time to gather one up.

JRH
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Have you ever looked at the Ruger Mini 30 that shoots the 7.62x39 round? Pretty cool stuff. All of these are fun choices, but my vote would be a original M1 carbine but then I would never turn down a nice Ruger.
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

That mini 30 is pretty cool. I could get a SKS and that thing and stick with one round. But the price is about double what i'm looking to spend.

The gun show is tomorrow so i might just have to change what I'm willing to spend to how much grief from the wife i want to take...
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I have an older standard model Mini 14, it's the 186 series. I'd gladly trade it in a second for the Mini 30 or another .30 carbine. That way I could at least drop a caliber I don't shoot much.

It's a decent rifle, but I shoot the .30 Carbine round more, seems to carbine is more accurate, at least to me.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

There was a time a few years ago that 30 carbine ammo was hard to find, and had a price spike from opportunists, but at the current rate of 15-20 bucks for a 50 round box that sems reasonable to me. It is the Garand that is expensive to feed.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

bunkysdad wrote:There was a time a few years ago that 30 carbine ammo was hard to find, and had a price spike from opportunists, but at the current rate of 15-20 bucks for a 50 round box that sems reasonable to me. It is the Garand that is expensive to feed.

Reloading the .30 carbine is a snap, straight walled case, light charge weight (more rounds to the 1 lb of powder) and you can use cast bullets (boolitts) with gas checks. An all around fun carbine. My .02
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I can't think of a firearm that is more fun to shoot then a .30 carbine.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, everybody loves to shoot the carbines, I wish I had bought more of them when they were under $200, a dealer I knew bought a couple of crates of them and was blowing them out cheap, he worked from his home and had limited storage space.
Theodore Roosevelt