Shooting Down German Planes

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
RugerNut

Shooting Down German Planes

Post by RugerNut »

Image source: http://www.theatlantic.com/
With no anti-aircraft equipment available, these soldiers take aim themselves
zeebill

Re: Shooting Down German Planes

Post by zeebill »

An exercise in Sniper rifle frustration maybe? Bill :lol:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I guess it beats trying to get your whole body under your helmet. Who knows, you throw enough lead you might get lucky. There must certainly been some unlucky Stuka pilot who drew the 7.62 card. The Soviets probably called the victim one unluky Sturmivik.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Cool picture... but my shoulder hurts just looking at it.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Maybe not anti aircraft training at all. Just a good ole' duck dinner.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

If you look carefully you will notice that they are all using scoped 'sniper' rifles
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

cj1964 wrote:Cool picture... but my shoulder hurts just looking at it.
:pointup:
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

qz2026 wrote:
cj1964 wrote:Cool picture... but my shoulder hurts just looking at it.
:pointup:
+1 Full force of the round + gravity! OuCh! :?
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The days of wooden ships and iron men.....
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Were the airplane sights on M-39's and any other rifles ever tested?, you know, maybe on a banner type target pulled by a plane? If 20 men with a range spotter all firing volleys it would be as good if not better than anti-aircraft. :brows: Put that in your pump shotgun and smoke it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
thughes

Post by thughes »

Looks like a nice target for a strafing run.....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Anti aircraft sights on Finn M39's? So far as I recall only the Japanese Type 99 early models had true anti aircraft sights on them however much wishful thinking that was.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yea in some video I saw they were called airplane sights, maybe Hickok 45's review. When you flip up the sight and are using the increments that go to 2200M I think, what else could you see that far? Think about 20 men all firing with a range spotter, putting 100 rounds up there in 10-15 seconds at a big lumbering aircraft, could be bad news. :shifty: I would like to see that. Of course these days, if you miss, you get a hellfire missle back atcha. :big shock: :big shock:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mitch5690

Post by mitch5690 »

Small ground fire at planes would pretty useless and not even near as effective as anti aircraft fire.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

steelbuttplate wrote:Yea in some video I saw they were called airplane sights, maybe Hickok 45's review. When you flip up the sight and are using the increments that go to 2200M I think, what else could you see that far? Think about 20 men all firing with a range spotter, putting 100 rounds up there in 10-15 seconds at a big lumbering aircraft, could be bad news. :shifty: I would like to see that. Of course these days, if you miss, you get a hellfire missle back atcha. :big shock: :big shock:
They may as well have just chucked rocks at 'em. Only big lumbering planes in the war were the bombers. An infantry rifle against an attack airplane is nothing more than a peashooter. A Stuka would be difficult to hit as they (and most other attack planes) came in at a very steep angle. Also, a puny rifle round would usually just punch a hole in the airplane. There are relatively few areas on an airplane that would be critical if hit. The best engines could survive ground fire enough to get the plane home.
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

awalker1829 wrote: There are relatively few areas on an airplane that would be critical if hit.
The pilot's pretty critical though!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

So I guess the soldiers in the photo above were a bunch of dumbasses. Or maybe they were hoping for a goose dinner. No aircraft in VietNam were ever shot down by small arms fire . What a waste of ammo
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lot of choppers got lit up by small arms fire over there and went down also.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Speed is the critical factor. Most of the aircraft that were shot down by small arms fire tended to be slower moving, which permits the shooter more time to determine the lead necessary to hit the target. Transport helicopters were particularly vulnerable due to their low speeds as were the observer aircraft used by the FACs. The fact that they had to loiter in the vicinity of the target didn't help any.

The cockpit is one of the few vulnerable areas and is often armored on slower aircraft, specifically those used in ground support roles. Some fighter aircraft of the World War Two era had armored seat panels to protect the pilot from shots fired from a rear attack. The pilot in an A-10 Warthog sits in what is essentially a titanium bathtub.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Sure it's major :bs.gif: and I said it to make a point. I have a cousin that flew an F-4 in Nam. Small arms fire is plenty more effective than chucking rocks. Critical areas? , uh, jet engines don't like bullets, nor do fuel tanks, I hope we never have to use it, it would be a last ditch effort, but if that's all you had, well, . :facepalm2: