hunters

young_gun

hunters

Post by young_gun »

Just wondering how many hunters are on here what you hunt and how you did this past season. I hunt in iowa and have hunted just about everything you can in the state I didn't do too well for deer this year gun or bow but I did quite well duck hunting especially on my North Dakota trip between 7 guys killed 54 ducks in three days most mallards so i was quite happy with that
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: hunters

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When I hunted years ago I used a 1894 Winchester .30-30, and a Stevens double shotgun in 12 gauge. The woods are too crowded here now for me to feel safe anymore.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I am a deer hunter and I took two last year, a black powder doe and a buck with my scoped 91/30. :popgun:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
crwjr

hunters

Post by crwjr »

I hunt whitetail in northeast Indiana.. We have plenty of deer and getting known for some giants! I use a Mathews, and a browning gold deer hunter, also a traditions pursuit! I do use my stainless marlin 44mag every now and then!! I shot a nice 8 (no monster but he does taste good) this was the first year for my son to carry his own weapon into the field with me! (mosburge 20ga all camo)! Indiana's opening season was nov. 12th and that was also my sons 10th birthday!! He got the best present of any birthday.. He shot his first deer a 9 point buck at 75yrds!! No help from his old man (sept to tell him there is a deer over there lol) I have never been more proud of anything else that has to do with hunting!!! He made his dad very happy that day!!
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I haven't hunted since I moved from Iowa, but back then, it was hunting, fishing or racing every week-end :mrgreen:

I used a bow for hunting deer. I always wanted to get a muzzle loader license, but never did. Mostly I hunted pheasants with my buddies and my Mossberg 500 :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

I had to take last year off, but I'll be in the woods this year. I hunt deer mostly, but I'm looking for a bear this year. Pain in the ass to drag out of the woods, but I gotta do it at least once.
Hopefully can get my Mosin dialed in to my satisfaction, then it's on like the proverbial video game gorilla. But I've got the Garand and K31 to fall back on. And A nice Martin if I can get the practice in.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I live for blackpowder hunting. I hunt deer and elk and camp for a whole month. It is nice as i have the woods praticaly all to myself. My son comes up for deer which is the first week and i stay on for the elk the next week. I had a good deer season this year and my deer is pictured below with my son i think. I hunt in a spike only elk unit and of course saw 16 6x6 or better bulls. I think they are growing them to tear up the hay fields that are in the area. I love my huunting here. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
target

Post by target »

I used to hunt with a .270 win but I don't like that particular round so I borrowed a .243 for Michigan whitetail... WOW I was impressed. 100 grain bullet dropped a fully grown buck at 160 yards without him even realizing he was dead.

Ive tried a Mosin before and got a whitetail, also tried my 6.5x55 swede mauser, was gonna try my type99 but never got around to it. I really wanna try the 1893...98...(can't remember) Marlin my dad has, thing has been in the family for around 70 years almsot.

Pretty crowded here in michigan but it's nice to have a huge plot of private land to hunt on. The deer don't get messed with and rarely see people... makes getting in and out of the blind pretty easy.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i have not hunted in 8-10 years .when i did it was for deer and with a k98 that has a scope on it. i still love that gun.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Brad, that's a very cool photo and a nice score! I never did get to hunt with blackpowder, but man I'd sure love to some day. I am all for the "one shot, one kill" philosophy. I did bow hunt and got a nice buck with a slug gun years back.

Nice job my friend!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Thanks Cliff, That was the funnest and the wettest hunting trip yet. But i have to admit that it took 2 shots for that one although he didn't go to far and he probably would a died i did a second heart shot after a short track through the rain. You gotta go BP hunting, i tell ya one of the funnest things ever and like i have been saying i have the woods pretty much to my self. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Two shots with a blackpowder is totally different...and pretty amazing actually :) When I used to live "in the woods", man it sounded like we were being invaded on opening day. There was some pretty high power, high tech firearms being used!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You guys don't have a seperate BP season? Man that would suck. I used to be a modern rifle hunter too but too many people. Now i have my own season and me and the boy and maybe a couple of old guys is all that are there. I have to actualy go looking for the other hunters if i want to talk to them. That is why i have so much fun. :D
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Well, I haven't hunted in Nebraska yet...so I'm not sure :oops:

I was in Iowa at the time. We had 3 seasons...bow, blackpowder and shotgun. You couldn't use high powered rifles...though many did. It wasn't all that bad, deer were plentiful and it didn't take too much effort to easily get within 100 yards of one. You could only get a tag for bow season and one other season of your choice, you couldn't do all 3.

I was too busy pheasant hunting anyway :)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Chinese chickens tastes mighty fine. They supposedly gots big ole muleys in nebraska somewheres. THe deer aren't as plentiful here and the hunting is tough and you have to climb some mountains here but i think it is more rewarding that ways. I hunt in a blocaded roads area so you can walk the roads if you want but i usualy do about half roads and half cross country. :D